LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    good foot placement is the difference between a good surfer and a great surfer.

Watch Zoolander repeatedly until you're an ambiturner.

Images
    Grab a skateboard and do some tic tacs (at least thats what it was called 25 years ago...)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_6NGjXujxQ

Images
    Technically speaking, if you are a goofy footer, you should already facing a left breaking wave and your difficulty would be riding right-hand breaking waves. Don't confuse looking at the waves from shore, especially since you ride the wave from the water point of view. It's sort of like Hawaiians who measure wave height from the back of the wave, but nobody rides the back of the wave do they?

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaSurfer View Post
    Hey everyone! I'm a goofy footed surfer and im having MAJOR problems taking the wave to the left, im perfectly fine going right but every time i try to take it left i wipe out almost immediately... Any advice for me? i just wanna be able to ride em both ways when its necessary. Thanks in advance! Btw, anyone on the georgia coast notice unusually better waves today? Lol because Tybee doesnt usually get clean 3-5+.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_EacLppMW0

enjoy the dual jet streams guys. bad weather in store.

Start your turn with your head... look where you want to go... then shift your weight to your back foot as you turn your shoulders and arms... then hips. Your feet will follow.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSurfer View Post
    Technically speaking, if you are a goofy footer, you should already facing a left breaking wave and your difficulty would be riding right-hand breaking waves. Don't confuse looking at the waves from shore, especially since you ride the wave from the water point of view. It's sort of like Hawaiians who measure wave height from the back of the wave, but nobody rides the back of the wave do they?
    Im sure that im goofy footed haha. I cant even stand while riding regular. And from the water point of view its still a left, the bottom turn is what gets me. Ive been told to put more weight on my back foot and practice. Thanks!

The less you do, the more you do........don't do anything....ok, pop up.........

watch video, there are tons of helpful videos on Youtube. Also, watch other surfers. Other than that, I repeat some of the above hints/tips. When paddling in to the wave angle toward the direction you're going to take off. When you pop up, remember to stay low and athletic, knees bent. Look where you are going on the wave and your shoulders, hips and board will fall in line.

Practice practice practice, watch video, and watch other surfers who are doing it. Taylor Knox is a good pro to watch video on. I like him because he is so freaking fundamentally sound. Maybe not as flashy as others, but his fundamentals are flawless. Good luck kid.

p.s. It was flat as hell down here, wish I had been in Tybee for 3-5 footers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahuna Kai View Post
    Taylor Knox is a good pro to watch video on. I like him because he is so freaking fundamentally sound. Maybe not as flashy as others, but his fundamentals are flawless.
    +1... power surfing is not dead... yet.