LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

longboard question for beginner

I would like to get the opinion of some of the seasoned surfers here. Just getting into surfing and I am torn between a 9' redline 11 and a 9' 6' hydro hull. I am 5'9' 192 lbs. Have taken a lesson and was told I could get away with a 9' foot board. I do not want to get the 9'6 only to have to sell it a year from now for a shorter more capable board. on the other hand some people say get the bigger board you'll be better off in the long run because you'll spend more time actually surfing due to the fact that it's more beginner friendly. I would be willing to take the hit on the learning curve provided determination would prevail over the characteristics of the Redline. I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Either board would be great. I think you'll be happy with both. My only issue with Stewarts is durability. I have had to repair mine several times due to buckling near the nose. Friends of mine report the same issue. I have a hydro hull, and aside from the durability, it's a really nice surfboard.

At almost 200 pounds, I think you could handle either one. Pick the one with prettier colors.

Get which ever board you like better, as a beginner you won't know the difference between a 9' and 9'6, either one has enough foam to catch about anything shin high and up.

I went throught the same thing recently. I started surfing about 10 months ago and wanted the smallest board to start out with and then get smaller as i grew better. Alot depends on the type of surf you have. Here in galveston I get more 2' days than anything else so being able to catch the wave is way more important than being able to carve it. This being said I am looking at going up instead of down in size bause of the ability to catch more waves. I have not been able to tell much difference in a 9'6'' and a 9' once I'm up and doing turns, but the catching of the wave seems much easier on the 9'6". The glide is just a little better with the extra lenght making my paddle out quick and I can catch just about anything. Been riding my friends Mctavish fireball thinks it's a 9'6" or 9'5" and love it.

I'm not too familiar with the Redline model, but the HydroHull is a solid model. As far as length goes, I would take a 9'6" over a 9'0" any day of the week; even if you're planning on working down to a shortboard. The extra six inches will give you a little extra volume for increased wave count and more stability for noserides & other maneuvers. I only have one 9'0" in my quiver right now, which I mostly reserve for overhead days; mostly because it's a 2+1 for more face hold.

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    Been riding my friends Mctavish fireball thinks it's a 9'6" or 9'5" and love it.
    Fantastic board, i've got a shorter version of it at 8'1", love that thing

Quote Originally Posted by longboard65 View Post
    I do not want to get the 9'6 only to have to sell it a year from now for a shorter more capable board.
    This won't happen... so it shouldn't be a determining factor in your choice. Both are good boards for what they are. Personally, I'd take the 9'6.

EXTRA 6" CAN GET YOU A LOT MORE RIDES

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    EXTRA 6" CAN GET YOU A LOT MORE RIDES
    That's what she said

Either will work great. Then as you get better, you build a quiver. Short, medium and then you'll go back the longboard.