LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

bottom feeder - what size?

I want a Lost Bottom Feeder, but don't know which size to get. I'm 48 yo, 6'1" and 180 pounds (probably 185 with a wetsuit, which I wear year-round). I'm intermediate skill, but, I only get to surf a few days a month, so my paddling could be better.

The 5'10 bottom feeder (39 L vol) sounds about right, but I'm worried it's going to be too beefy...should I go 5'8"?

I've got a 5'9" - for comparison, I am 5'11", 175 - and I wish mine was a bit smaller, probably 5'8", maybe even 5'7". The flip side is, the extra volume makes it so I catch even more waves on a board that already excels at catching anything. I've literally surfed like mid-shin wave on it and been able to turn and generate speed down the line. I do surf my bottom feeder even in like head high waves though, unless its really hollow, and on the upper end especially, I find myself wishing I had a little less length and foam in general. (Sidenote: bottom feeder quad with nubster in head high waves is a blast!) So it's kind of a two-sided coin. Personally, if I were you, I would go 5'8", but I am a bit younger and might paddle a little bit better based on your description

Read this (post and comments), ton of good info here.

Never ridden one so take this with a grain of salt, but have been seriously considering getting one for my next board and have been doing a ton of research on it. I am just about your size and am thinking 5'8".
    Last edited by SHREDSLED; Jul 3, 2013 at 05:36 PM. Reason: fixed link

Images
    talked to a rep and he said 5'10" was actually a good call...so I ordered one. (due to independence day, they won't start shaping for a few days, so I can change my mind if someone else talks me into it...)

I'm 6'3 and 180 and i got the 5'8 could have gone smaller.i wouldnt go bigger if i were you the thing paddles and catch wave so easy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by surfislife View Post
    I'm 6'3 and 180 and i got the 5'8 could have gone smaller.i wouldnt go bigger if i were you the thing paddles and catch wave so easy
    Have you ridden yours in knee high, gutless onshore waves?...to me, that's what the target for this board is

Check out the lazy boy and coach potato as well!

Images
    Good call on the BF. I have a 5'4" and I'm 5'8" 145lbs. You'll love it.

i think the bottom feeder works best at thigh to chest high waves if you looking for more of a groveler i would go with the coach potato..

Images
    well, I took your advice and switched the bottom feeder down to a 5'8". These things are sold out, so I'm lucky I found one in stock

Yeah, the couch potato is the ultimate groveler (other than an LB), but I think it's ugly. However, if the BF doesn't work out in our summer waves, I will get the CP
    Last edited by waterbaby; Jul 4, 2013 at 03:46 PM.