LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    No experience with epoxy before the firewires but all I can say is wow. Super light, floaty for it's size, and has a springy lively feeling compared to poly. I never thought I would like that feeling but when I am able to catch the wave a second or so earlier it comes in handy.

the lack of weight was one of the main problems I had with eps/epoxy...the range of conditions it can function in are limited and speed/glide were diminished

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    No experience with epoxy before the firewires but all I can say is wow. Super light, floaty for it's size, and has a springy lively feeling compared to poly. I never thought I would like that feeling but when I am able to catch the wave a second or so earlier it comes in handy.
    def agree with Zippy on this, i can't speak to either of the boards your talking about because I haven't ridden either of them. But i have a sweet potato and am really impressed with it. You can go really small with these boards and still have enough float for an easy paddle. definitely recommend going slightly shorter than your initial gut instinct would tell you...you will be happier with the decision after buying, believe me.

Quote Originally Posted by Losttsol View Post
    Same age as you, but 6'0", 185 lbs. What I ride is a 6'2", 2.5", 20.75" WRV Drone, which is basically a Neckbeard. Get a real board, as in real I mean non-epoxy. Do you see ASP surfers on epoxy? No you don't. Even Taj gave them up and he rips harder than this whole forum combined. Firewire = Newbies or old ****s trying to get an edge that doesn't exist.
    Who's the Drone basing your board on what the ASP is selling you. Get whatever feels right for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    No experience with epoxy before the firewires but all I can say is wow. Super light, floaty for it's size, and has a springy lively feeling compared to poly. .
    My guess is the springy lively feeling is the parabolic stringers, not the EPS foam or the Epoxy resin. Having the source of a boards liveliness (stringer) on the rails rather than down the middle always made a lot of sense to me. I mean when you load up the board on a turn your putting that pressure on the board's edge, not middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Losttsol View Post
    Same age as you, but 6'0", 185 lbs. What I ride is a 6'2", 2.5", 20.75" WRV Drone, which is basically a Neckbeard. Get a real board, as in real I mean non-epoxy. Do you see ASP surfers on epoxy? No you don't. Even Taj gave them up and he rips harder than this whole forum combined. Firewire = Newbies or old ****s trying to get an edge that doesn't exist.
    If you ride a board based on what others think of you, then yeah you could have that problem.

If you are secure with who you are as a person, you can ride any type of board and achieve the ultimate goal:

Happiness.

Have a pod and its awesome, never tried firewire but very happy. Worked all winter/spring and now it is powering through the mush. Nice, versatile, fun board.

Thanks for the input fellas, appreciate it! With that said I think I'm gonna give the CI pod a go, as small as possible......and just sit further on the inside to compensate for my shoulder issues.