LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Legal definition of surfboard in VB???

I was thinking of picking something up to fart around with during swimming hours at Virginia Beach. Does anyone know what is the cutoff point for whats acceptable? I see plenty of boogie boards out there. Is that cus they're soft or finless or both? I tried doing some Internet searches but all I could find were the surfing times at the different beaches.
    Last edited by clintopher; Jul 4, 2013 at 02:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by clintopher View Post
    I was thinking of picking something up to fart around with during swimming hours at Virginia Beach. Does anyone know what is the cutoff point for whats acceptable? I see plenty of boogie boards out there. Is that cus they're soft or finless or both? I tried doing some Internet searches but all I could find were the surfing times at the different beaches.
    What you need to get is one of those old school green rafts the lifeguards used to rent. They were made of a super heavy canvas and probably about 5' in length. You could easily stand up on them. They were kind of oval in shape. I'd give my left nut for one of those things now. If anyone knows where I could find one now, I'd be all ears.

This is pure speculation, so take it for what it's worth, but my guess is they would consider anything that you stand up on and ride waves on a "surfboard" regardless of length or material. I could be wrong though

Does it matter what the "legal" definition is? You're going to get chased out of the water per the discretion of the guards ... I don't think you're going to want to drag a lawyer into something like this, it's going to cost more than the fines or court fees themselves... Either way, if it's not a red-flag day, IMHO the waves probably weren't very good to begin with... at least not good enough for something involving a legal process of any sort.

go snag a beater

I don't know how sensitive they are in VB with rogue surfing during prohibitive hours. However, this would be a great step forward in the dissolution of these ludicrous ordinances. They should at least have non-breaking areas roped off for swimming. If you're not even on a boogie board, you shouldn't be hanging out in the surf. I see kids get mauled all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by jasorod View Post
    Does it matter what the "legal" definition is? You're going to get chased out of the water per the discretion of the guards ... I don't think you're going to want to drag a lawyer into something like this, it's going to cost more than the fines or court fees themselves... Either way, if it's not a red-flag day, IMHO the waves probably weren't very good to begin with... at least not good enough for something involving a legal process of any sort.
    It absolutely matters. I avoided the issuance of a ticket for jet skiing in the surf because I was more familiar with the statutes than the officer on site. When he told me I shouldn't be doing what I was doing I explained to him that according to title number whatever (cant remember it right now) that I was good until 10 am. He called it in to check it out,realized he didn't have a leg to stand on, and let me go.

As far as legal fees go, I don't incurr those. My brother in law is kind enough to offer his services pro bono.

Quote Originally Posted by surf n skate View Post
    go snag a beater
    I was originally going that route but then I started thinking a fiberglass alaia shaped board would be fun in the shore break we're experiencing here due to the beach replenishment, and if I could do it when the family goes to the beach all the better.

I see SUPs out all day. I guess that's not considered surfing on a surf board