LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Epoxy Boards..

1. I only skim epoxys or SUP them. Hate the feel of them otherwise

Images
    All I ride is epoxy boards these days. I Love them. I've got tufflite, EPS and firewire; they all are great!-cheers.

Ive had two in my 30 years of surfing and hated them. felt way to corky.

Weekdays: RTP / Weekends: Morehead City, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by DosXX View Post
    Technical differences aside, if you like it and are happy with its performance, that's what matters.
    This comment made my day.
    I've been saying for almost 10 years, I need to pick up a new board. But, since I moved from the beach 2.5 hours inland 10 years ago (for work), I only get to surf a couple of weekends a month from May-Sept (my mom still lives in Atlantic Beach). So every summer I say I'm going to buy a new board and haven't. I was looking around this weekend and found a retro fish for $350. I asked the guy at the shop about it and he said it's shaped out of VA beach. It was a Mike Dolsey. I had never heard of it since I hadn't done any real research into a new board in over 10 years. So I picked it up. I rode it all weekend and enjoyed the hell out of it. I got home last night and started looking around and found a few negative comments on surfing forums. I was a little bummed this morning and regretting the purchase even thought so far it's been a good ride. But after reading your comment, "if you are happy with it, that's what matters" I realized there's nothing I can do now but ride it until it falls apart or doesn't. If it does, I won't buy from that shop again. If it holds up and continues to ride good, awesome. Nothing I can do now but ride it out. Thanks!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    Ive had two in my 30 years of surfing and hated them. felt way to corky.
    Same here.......DRDarkmatter also mentioned a tufflite.......To me these boards are horrible paddlers in choppy surf and not that great on a clean day, If nothing else you'll get a good workout.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by camerino View Post
    I was looking around this weekend and found a retro fish for $350. I asked the guy at the shop about it and he said it's shaped out of VA beach. It was a Mike Dolsey.
    The board wouldn't happen to be green would it? I was checking out a similar board at a smaller surf shop in VA beach. I really liked that board. I wonder if it was the same one.

I have ridden both, and on most normal days if it's not too choppy, an epoxy board is great. They can be harder to duck dive, and on bigger surf you want a traditional fiberglass that flexes and gives you that shotgun effect off the bottom to propel you. But I've made an epoxy over EPS foam Fish, and it rides great rail to rail in waist to head high.

My late friend made high performance longboards using epoxy over Clark Foam ( he's been gone for a while), and they are super light and haul ass. The trick is getting sharp, thin rails in the tail, and using a lot less foam to begin with if you want a board that can shred. But another friend of mine who shapes and shreds calls epoxy dead sleds cause they don't flex. To each his own.

My long board is tufflite construction and I love it. I didn't particularly like the short boards I have ridden in tufflite-kind of pingy, especially in choppy surf. My short boards are stringerless hand laid epoxy with Resin Research epoxy used....Absolutely love them. Being stringerless, they have a bit more flex and a more lively feel, but are still tuff as nails....My two cents...

Epoxys are taking over, for better or worse. Many hate on it because most shaper's do not shape them, but they are definitely becoming more popular.

Epoxy is not only lighter and more floaty, but it is strong as hell. My longboard has falled over onto concrete without even a ding. My shortboard dings if you blow on it too hard.

I've said it before on this forum... EPS/Epoxy comes in all varieties. If you know how to work with the stuff, and you know your resins and fibers, you can address all of the negatives (stiffness, corkiness...), and are left with only the positives (stronger and lighter). The only down side is in production... it takes longer and the materials are more expensive; limiting waste helps address the later.

As an aside... quality epoxy over PU is winner. That's what we do for the Brookdale class.