LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Images
    Competions are for kooks, free surfing is for kooks, if your over 5'9 your a kook, Saturday mornings defiantly kooky. 14 yea your a kook bro. God damn I'm gnarly. See you at the comp . . . I'm 21 and their putting me in your heat. Because surfing against your own division is for kooks

Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    VERY good advice. Always familiarize yourself with the terrain prior to heading into battle. We need to exist outside our comfort zone constantly to progress, however, during times of assessment we want to be right in our comfort zone. But ready to persevere if externals present themselves as well.
    I live on the break literally, I surf it about 7 or 8 times in a month and have been surfing it for over 5 years and will be surfing it tomorrow morning too.

Images
    If I was ever good enough I would have surfed contests. For me I thought i didn't need the experience and saw no need to feel crushed when I lost, lol. BUT... I am older now and wish I did it way back then I think it would have been fun and worthwhile. I lied to myself and said it was because I was a soul surfer but in reality I think I was just scared.
    Last edited by Zippy; Jul 7, 2013 at 12:18 AM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zman9398 View Post
    I live on the break literally, I surf it about 7 or 8 times in a month and have been surfing it for over 5 years and will be surfing it tomorrow morning too.
    You live right at the break but only surf 8 times a month? Most of the local kids in OC surf the same break every day. Just get in the water ever chance you get and gain experience with different conditions out there. Work on your turns every session, don't just pump down the wave, try to get in some turns in critical sessions. You will fall but that's how you learn and get better. Good luck dude!

Quote Originally Posted by ocsurf32 View Post
    Competions are for kooks, free surfing is for kooks, if your over 5'9 your a kook, Saturday mornings defiantly kooky. 14 yea your a kook bro. God damn I'm gnarly. See you at the comp . . . I'm 21 and their putting me in your heat. Because surfing against your own division is for kooks

I heard they are even going to let you ride a RS Hot Karl so you can sit way, way, way, waaaaaaaaayyyyyyy outside!

lol

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    You live right at the break but only surf 8 times a month? Most of the local kids in OC surf the same break every day. Just get in the water ever chance you get and gain experience with different conditions out there. Work on your turns every session, don't just pump down the wave, try to get in some turns in critical sessions. You will fall but that's how you learn and get better. Good luck dude!
    It's because I have a house there but I still have to go back to my regular house during the week because my parents have work.

At the very least, comp surfing will get you in touch with some people who will likely become your pals. They'll push you to become a better surfing version of yourself. What region are you going to be in?

Southern jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Zman9398 View Post
    Brahskee, you have a major advantage on a fair amount of the competitor field. I'm sure several others entered will have also surfed your break regularly, but for those who haven't, this will be an equalizer to disparity in skill you may have with them. Yet another reason to believe you have nothing to lose, go out there and have a blast with the full intention that it will be one of the funnest experiences you've ever had. We are what we think.

Do what you gotta do for your parents to let you stay at the house non-stop, whatever that may be. You can surf your home break twice daily and lamp rough with a harem of choice babes in between sesh.

As others have said, do it for the experience. Assess your strengths and where you need to improve. Expand your horizons. It's all good.
    If you don't, you'll wish you had.