LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    My best experience competition-wise was drawing a heat against Balaram Stack in first round for a Rip Curl Gromsearch years back. Needless to say, I got my butt handed to me in the heat, but it was cool to watch someone much better than me and learn from them. Plus, just chilling in a competitors area at one of the ESA events is a day by itself. If you're sketched out by it, just go check out one of the ESA's comps before you enter. But a final word of advice would be that even experience losing is experience. Just do it

Quote Originally Posted by njerseysurf View Post
    a final word of advice would be that even experience losing is experience.
    We have the opportunity to learn and grow far more from our losses than our wins. I don't remember the guys I've beat in my athletic career. But you can bet I made a list of the ones that beat me and my road to success was crossing them off the list the next time I faced them. Eventually the list was empty.

Did not read all of the posts but Zman if you can't do cutbacks, hacks or snaps or any other "trick" you are goning to get stomped in a comp. What moves would you do to earn points? Although fun as hell and stylish looking when done right cruising down the line is not a scoreable move and niether is pumping a board. Not trying to be a **** and yes experience is great but you need to be able to pull at least 5-7 different "tricks" before you enter a comp I would say.

I wouldn't enter with the intention to win (yet), being that you cant' do any "tricks" per say, but I would enter to just have fun and learn from better surfers. Seeing someone rip right before your eyes is inspiring. Ever time i'm out and someone is ripping it makes me want to get better. Use that as your reason to be out there. Also, if that spot is normally crowded, getting it to yourself and a few others will be nice too. You're going to want to surf more often though if you can help it, get a few more sessions in per month and you'll notice a big difference in your surfing. Good luck though, just remember it's about having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    I wouldn't enter with the intention to win (yet), being that you cant' do any "tricks" per say, but I would enter to just have fun and learn from better surfers. Seeing someone rip right before your eyes is inspiring. Ever time i'm out and someone is ripping it makes me want to get better. Use that as your reason to be out there. Also, if that spot is normally crowded, getting it to yourself and a few others will be nice too. You're going to want to surf more often though if you can help it, get a few more sessions in per month and you'll notice a big difference in your surfing. Good luck though, just remember it's about having fun.
    Exactly What I was going to say! By entering the comp, you will see what talent level the guys winning heats are at and be able to compare to where you are at. Then , try to improve your surfing in order to close the gap. if you cannot surf more than you do now, then swim for endurance and practice moves on a skateboard. Anything to improve. At your age, the more you improve the more you will enjoy surfing.

Chandler would be pissed! "you want to enter the pipe line classic? Go Ahead......Go shred!" lol

Who cares about contests.........just surf. if your not throwin buckets yet don't even think about it.

Haters gonna hate...Slaters gonna slate. Have fun man!

Quote Originally Posted by pinkstink View Post
    Haters gonna hate...Slaters gonna slate. Have fun man!
    Mate, not man. That woulda made it so much more rappable.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Mate, not man. That woulda made it so much more rappable.
    Someone was paying attention in rap history class