LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: pro surfers

Call yourself a little bit*h. But everyone isn't scared to surf a reef.
    I've surfed a lot of places too. I'm not saying I'd charge massive Pipe, Chopes, or other death defying waves.
    But I have surfed solid reefs. I 'd take a head high reef over beach break any day. And if you've done it, you'd know that it's actually way easier than a dumping beach break.

Quote Originally Posted by waterbaby View Post
    I've surfed a lot of places. I've surfed many big east coast and west coast hurricane swells, but really big swells on the pacific islands are on a totally different level...and they break over corral/rocks, not sand (as if surfing over shallow corral isn't a skill in itself). The waves are exponentially more massive and powerful in person than you'd ever imagine from pics or video. For instance, even medium swell on oahu's north shore is something that would take the average mainland surfer 6 months to a year to acclimate to...anything over that and you basically have to grow up riding those conditions.

People talk big on the net...but until I see proof you of surfing the pacific island's top spots, you're just a little b*tch, like the rest of us. Pro surfing is a real job...it's not a boring job, but a real job.

2. Quote Originally Posted by nynj View Post
    Call yourself a little bit*h. But everyone isn't scared to surf a reef.
    I've surfed a lot of places too. I'm not saying I'd charge massive Pipe, Chopes, or other death defying waves.
    But I have surfed solid reefs. I 'd take a head high reef over beach break any day. And if you've done it, you'd know that it's actually way easier than a dumping beach break.
    Well said. You are much more in control at a reef. You can just go sit in the channel, then just paddle into the shoulders of waves and kick back out in the channel. There is no escape from a big beach break. Also for the most part at a reef, every waves breaks the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Real job = for most people, being miserable doing something you don't necessarily love or even like, but do it because it pays the bills. By this definition pro surfing is not a "real job", BUT, I would give up my "real job" to be a pro surfer any day of the week. They get to do what they LOVE to do every single day, and get paid for it. That to me is REAL, and the way it should be when we consider what a "real job" is.
    We are limited by our own thought process, we have been programmed to believe that going to school, getting a "good job" and working for a living is what it's all about, but to those who have been lucky enough or those who have worked hard enough to get paid doing something that they love like surfing have it figured out, not the other way around.

Do you really love programming computers for a living? Do you love digging ditches? Do you love selling that widget? Do you love serving that customer? Do you love your little two week vacation, your 401k, your staff meetings, your annual review, or your 30 minute - 1hr lunch break??? Or would you rather be catching waves and cashing checks? Do you really love clocking in at 8:30am and clocking out at 5:30pm? I know I don't, i'd much prefer to clock in when my toes touch salt water and clock out when they return to the sand....
    I like what I do for a living. I wake up in the morning sometimes excited to go to work. Whould I rather get paid to surf, of course. Stink bug said it right Pro surfing just like any other professional athlete is a fantasy land job.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Real job = for most people, being miserable doing something you don't necessarily love or even like, but do it because it pays the bills. By this definition pro surfing is not a "real job", BUT, I would give up my "real job" to be a pro surfer any day of the week. They get to do what they LOVE to do every single day, and get paid for it. That to me is REAL, and the way it should be when we consider what a "real job" is.

We are limited by our own thought process, we have been programmed to believe that going to school, getting a "good job" and working for a living is what it's all about, but to those who have been lucky enough or those who have worked hard enough to get paid doing something that they love like surfing have it figured out, not the other way around.

Do you really love programming computers for a living? Do you love digging ditches? Do you love selling that widget? Do you love serving that customer? Do you love your little two week vacation, your 401k, your staff meetings, your annual review, or your 30 minute - 1hr lunch break??? Or would you rather be catching waves and cashing checks? Do you really love clocking in at 8:30am and clocking out at 5:30pm? I know I don't, i'd much prefer to clock in when my toes touch salt water and clock out when they return to the sand....
    I am self-employed, I make my own hours, I make decent money that allows me to travel a month or two out of the year sometimes more.
    It's all about choices. Our current educational system is nothing but indoctrination centers. You are right we are being taught to work for the System. But with the right up bringing you will know that you should do what you love and love what you do and everything else around will fall into place.

Quote Originally Posted by archy View Post
    Stink bug said it right Pro surfing just like any other professional athlete is a fantasy land job.
    One of the few things we agree on.

Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    One of the few things we agree on.
    Haha high five brew.

Quote Originally Posted by archy View Post
    Our current educational system is nothing but indoctrination centers.
    Don't you think that's a little shortsighted? If I had to put a number on it, I'd guess that about 99.99% of today's most talented, innovative, inventors and creators were educated in public schools. But people still find a way to blame the education system for everything...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    I'd guess that about 99.99% of today's most talented, innovative, inventors and creators were educated in public schools.
    Along with some the hardest working people in the country, working some of the most difficult jobs...too hard for me, only lasted 3 years as a teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    Don't you think that's a little shortsighted? If I had to put a number on it, I'd guess that about 99.99% of today's most talented, innovative, inventors and creators were educated in public schools. But people still find a way to blame the education system for everything...
    Agreed. Though I do feel that our schools are too easy. They should encourage more parental interaction and add more challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    Along with some the hardest working people in the country, working some of the most difficult jobs...too hard for me, only lasted 3 years as a teacher.
    We also don't pay our teachers enough for the service they provide.