LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: pro surfers

[QUOTE=archy;176446]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalarast View Post

99.9% is far to high of a number. people have to eat, **** needs to be cleaned , money has to change hands for goods and services, homes and cars need to be repaired, broken bones need to be mended, etc. that cog in the wheel is necessary for a functioning civilization.

as far as technical advances stemming from pro surfing. well take Jack O'Neill and the invention of the wetsuit for instance. the short board revolution. George Greenough and his many technical advances. all happened b4 pro surfing. it all stemmed from the pure enjoyment of riding waves. not from people getting paid to ride waves.
    I agree that 99.9 is a higher number; but we're all cogs in a wheel and most of us don't have jobs that change mankind or history. I think even the criminals who are lifelong criminals and make income from it... hell that's a job isn't it and they also supply a service or buy items that in turn feed the system, right? I'm a retail manager and also an army vet and now reservist... still a cog bro.

I knew O'neil would come up But take the modern short board technology... the multiple fins.. the FCS housing... all part of what pro-surfing has done to improve the sport/hobby of surfing.

Matter at hand is it a job to be a pro-surfer. I used to say that a job is something you do to pay a bill... not something you always dream on doing. Kelly Slater loves surfing and surfs when he doesn't have to.... is there a separation of his job when he is not surfing or is that just training for the next big event?

Me I'm jealous of anyone who has a job on something I do for fun... be it surfing, reading/writing, drinking, travelling, hell you name it. Its a job... a job I would love to have; but perhaps I didn't surf for contest, write to get published, drink and start a tv show around it (Three Sheets to the Wind), or travel and have a camera man follow me.... But then again why be jealous on something I didn't strive to do if it was that important to me....

I also want to be a lotto winner... but never buy a ticket.

(Sorry for all the posts tonight.. wife is watching the damn "Host" movie... its terrible by the way)

[QUOTE=Dalarast;176449]
    Quote Originally Posted by archy View Post

I agree that 99.9 is a higher number; but we're all cogs in a wheel and most of us don't have jobs that change mankind or history. I think even the criminals who are lifelong criminals and make income from it... hell that's a job isn't it and they also supply a service or buy items that in turn feed the system, right? I'm a retail manager and also an army vet and now reservist... still a cog bro.

I knew O'neil would come up But take the modern short board technology... the multiple fins.. the FCS housing... all part of what pro-surfing has done to improve the sport/hobby of surfing.

Matter at hand is it a job to be a pro-surfer. I used to say that a job is something you do to pay a bill... not something you always dream on doing. Kelly Slater loves surfing and surfs when he doesn't have to.... is there a separation of his job when he is not surfing or is that just training for the next big event?

Me I'm jealous of anyone who has a job on something I do for fun... be it surfing, reading/writing, drinking, travelling, hell you name it. Its a job... a job I would love to have; but perhaps I didn't surf for contest, write to get published, drink and start a tv show around it (Three Sheets to the Wind), or travel and have a camera man follow me.... But then again why be jealous on something I didn't strive to do if it was that important to me....

I also want to be a lotto winner... but never buy a ticket.

(Sorry for all the posts tonight.. wife is watching the damn "Host" movie... its terrible by the way)
    well you refer to the system, where im referring to humankind and civilization as a whole.

also fin boxes came along before pro surfing. and the modern short board is only a continuation of the short board revolution. its only a natural progression that would have occurred regardless if someone was getting paid to surf. look at all the advancements in retro boards that no pro would ride in competition. that stemmed from the pure joy of riding waves.

and as a matter of fact, it is a job being being a pro surfer. but the original question was 'is it a REAL job?'.

[QUOTE=archy;176454]

well you refer to the system, where im referring to humankind and civilization as a whole.

also fin boxes came along before pro surfing. and the modern short board is only a continuation of the short board revolution. its only a natural progression that would have occurred regardless if someone was getting paid to surf. look at all the advancements in retro boards that no pro would ride in competition. that stemmed from the pure joy of riding waves.

and as a matter of fact, it is a job being being a pro surfer. but the original question was 'is it a REAL job?'.
    All that aside, you're a REAL joker.

[QUOTE=archy;176454]

So how does working as an accountant help mankind or civilization as a whole? Yes my taxes look great and it helps me around April every year and my savings account looks good.... but as a whole no positive what so ever to the community besides supplying a service.

Pro Surfers provide a service.. just like any major athlete in sports. Entertainment. Stripping is a great job too... it entertains Oldest profession is prostitution.... is it a real job?

Yes fin boxes came before pro-surfing; but the advent of fins for performance to be able to "cut and rip" on waves is due to Australian invasion on the surfing scene that just riding a wave was not enough for competitions.

And when I think of someone asking "is it a real job" is like my parents asking why I joined the Army when I was in my twenties... I finished college and they asked me why don't I get a real job..... I thought the Army was a real job; but they didn't see it that way (they accept it and not anti-government).

If my daughter, who wants to be a pro-surfer at 8 years old, tells me at 18 that she wants to be a pro-surfer... I'm sure I will ask her... what about a real job? But if she could make it into a career, especially a female surfer, then I would support her. Musicians and anyone in a artsy profession can argue the same when perusing their hobbies as a career.

[QUOTE=Dalarast;176458]

So how does working as an accountant help mankind or civilization as a whole? Yes my taxes look great and it helps me around April every year and my savings account looks good.... but as a whole no positive what so ever to the community besides supplying a service.

Pro Surfers provide a service.. just like any major athlete in sports. Entertainment. Stripping is a great job too... it entertains Oldest profession is prostitution.... is it a real job?

Yes fin boxes came before pro-surfing; but the advent of fins for performance to be able to "cut and rip" on waves is due to Australian invasion on the surfing scene that just riding a wave was not enough for competitions.

And when I think of someone asking "is it a real job" is like my parents asking why I joined the Army when I was in my twenties... I finished college and they asked me why don't I get a real job..... I thought the Army was a real job; but they didn't see it that way (they accept it and not anti-government).

If my daughter, who wants to be a pro-surfer at 8 years old, tells me at 18 that she wants to be a pro-surfer... I'm sure I will ask her... what about a real job? But if she could make it into a career, especially a female surfer, then I would support her. Musicians and anyone in a artsy profession can argue the same when perusing their hobbies as a career.
    I like your posts, brah.

And I think Starchy needs a real job. Not even sure he's got a fake job.

Combine a crap day of surfing around surf schools, mowing the lawn, and then a 12 hour day at work to come home to watch a movie with the wife from the same dame who wrote Twilight. Add red stripe beer and way to much knowledge of surfing and the background of political science and debating....... and the love of surfing.

I like Archy's posts though... as I said in the other thread him and I see a lot of things the same about the history of surfing; but just disagree on pro-surfing I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneraste View Post
    Grown Ups 2 Full Lenght Film In Divx Format, Grown Ups 2 Dvds, Grown Ups 2 Film Theater, Grown Ups 2 film photo.
    buy Fruitvale Station moivie high quality, Fruitvale Station movie theatre, Fruitvale Station release, Fruitvale Station download rmvb.
    The Heat Dvd, The Heat Movie Summary, The Heat Film Song, The Heat popcorn maker.
    The White House Down Full Movie Online, White House Down music, White House Down film imdb, The Full White House Down Movie.

Gophuuuukyourself spammer

[QUOTE=Dalarast;176458]

I think hunting and gathering for food was the oldest profession. it didn't pay anything, but sure did put food in dem bellies.

without the advent of pro surfing the systems like fcs and the thruster would still come along with the desire to go places on the wave never before seen. just like shortboards came along and tube riding, surfers have the desire to push the limits. if they didn't we would have still been riding Blake Edwards type boards well into the sixties.

Pro Surfer > Mainstream Sport Pro

Football pros are idiot thugs, baseball players... well I just don't get it at all but I'll commend them for their patience in the second most boring sport in the world, basketball pros... see Football Pros plus they barely even run up and down the court anymore--more like a limp/lope, Golf pros are generally overweight and not athletic at all and golf sucks donkeynutts anyway, tennis... seriously?

Baseball is not at all boring when you are playing it