LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: pro surfers

Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    SUPrise - lots of truths in here. I do have to mention that the pro surfer's "job" hardly starts when they enter and leave the water. We all know those who were born with gifts but being the best at anything in the world isn't a lottery and in no way happens by accident. 24/7/365. Those are the hours and days of work for nearly all who are in the top one-tenth of one percent of anything in the world. Even for obscure skills, specialties, and talents, there are a lot of people out there competing for the top and cream doesn't rise if its thin and dilute.

Are there pro surfers out there that party their balls off and are less committed than others? Yes. And those individuals won't be on the tour for long. They also were the grommiest groms for years having an insatiable appetite for escalation in the sport to come close to reaching the tour.
    but the question is 'is pro surfing a REAL job?'. sure it takes a mixture of talent and hard WORK. so does becoming successful in any other field. but REAL job?

if you look back to how the human race got to where it is today, being the best looking (model) or best chess player or best soccer player did not build civilization. those activities did not put food on the table or design aquifers, or build buildings.

But they do generate money. The best soccer player generates a ton of money

Quote Originally Posted by archy View Post
    but the question is 'is pro surfing a REAL job?'. sure it takes a mixture of talent and hard WORK. so does becoming successful in any other field. but REAL job?

if you look back to how the human race got to where it is today, being the best looking (model) or best chess player or best soccer player did not build civilization. those activities did not put food on the table or design aquifers, or build buildings.

Images

Now...Veronica Vaughn should be allowed to teach anything she damn well pleases. Especially non-credit community college courses that I'd have perfect attendance in.
    WOOOOHEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS8CP1A6OCQ

o and this too i guess hahaha
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIESyHMPbIw

Dude, really? REALLY??

Stop wasting bandwidth with pure garbage. There is a large percentage of our nation being subsidized by the government for 99 weeks at a time for the "job" they aren't trying to find, let alone perform everyday. I could spend 10,000 words of my novellas listing the thousands of other roles in society that are in a far lower moral stratosphere than pro surfing.

Really, brah. I'm not about to debate this either, especially with someone criticizing an entity for lack of rev gen when "non-profit" orgs like the 17 you chair do nothing but piss away the dollars raised for them under BS auspices.

Quote Originally Posted by 757surfer View Post
    jackpot!!!

[QUOTE=archy;176398]but the question is 'is pro surfing a REAL job?'. sure it takes a mixture of talent and hard WORK. so does becoming successful in any other field. but REAL job?
    QUOTE]

If you make enough money to support yourself and/or family then its a real job.

If the question of a real job is what impact it has to society then 99.9% of jobs can be knocked out from being real jobs unless you put it in the thought of another cog in the wheel to support the system (i.e. retail, hospitality, etc).

You can also look at pro-surfers as idols that young "future pro-surfers" may strive to be... or that how some may invent new safety devices/procedures that many "pro-surfers" developed. Think jetski rescue invention (which developed into tow-in surfing) and inflatable wetsuits. For the ladies they can be happy for surf "resistant" bathing suits that don't pop-off when surfing.... for the guys... damn pro surfers for ruining that

[QUOTE=Dalarast;176431]
    QUOTE]

If the question of a real job is what impact it has to society then 99.9% of jobs can be knocked out from being real jobs unless you put it in the thought of another cog in the wheel to support the system (i.e. retail, hospitality, etc).

You can also look at pro-surfers as idols that young "future pro-surfers" may strive to be... or that how some may invent new safety devices/procedures that many "pro-surfers" developed. Think jetski rescue invention (which developed into tow-in surfing) and inflatable wetsuits. For the ladies they can be happy for surf "resistant" bathing suits that don't pop-off when surfing.... for the guys... damn pro surfers for ruining that
    Well played, mate.

I'm pretty sure Starchy's mom was sacked by a pro surfer which just aggravates his "edible complex" that PB&J always talks about.

Dude, really? REALLY??

Stop wasting bandwidth with pure garbage. There is a large percentage of our nation being subsidized by the government for 99 weeks at a time for the "job" they aren't trying to find, let alone perform everyday. I could spend 10,000 words of my novellas listing the thousands of other roles in society that are in a far lower moral stratosphere than pro surfing.

Really, brah. I'm not about to debate this either, especially with someone criticizing an entity for lack of rev gen when "non-profit" orgs like the 17 you chair do nothing but piss away the dollars raised for them under BS auspices.
    WHAA??? dude you gotta stop hittin the crack and check the chip on your shoulder at the door.

I only presented a logical question, in a civil debate.

i'm not questioning the morals of others or talkin bout lazy people grubbing of gov. dole.

also I don't chair any non profits, I only offer free time to feed and clothe homeless people.

really man, grow up.

[QUOTE=EmassSpicoli;176437]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalarast View Post

Well played, mate.

I'm pretty sure Starchy's mom was sacked by a pro surfer which just aggravates his "edible complex" that PB&J always talks about.
    no my mom was sacked by a war veteran and life long officer in the US Army. My father.

also i'd appreciate it if you left my mom and others' out of the conversation out of respect. thanks

[QUOTE=Dalarast;176431]
    QUOTE]

no, many criminals make enough to support their families too.

99.9% is far to high of a number. people have to eat, **** needs to be cleaned , money has to change hands for goods and services, homes and cars need to be repaired, broken bones need to be mended, etc. that cog in the wheel is necessary for a functioning civilization.

as far as technical advances stemming from pro surfing. well take Jack O'Neill and the invention of the wetsuit for instance. the short board revolution. George Greenough and his many technical advances. all happened b4 pro surfing. it all stemmed from the pure enjoyment of riding waves. not from people getting paid to ride waves.