LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: pro surfers

"Not to(o) many doctors or lawyers come from low income schools. They are not given those opportunities."

Aside from the fact that many do (trust me, I know a lot of doctors... my wife is one... so lets give them credit) a disproportionate number of high achievers DO come from more affluent communities. And you're right... that's something we need to address as a nation. But you seem to be confusing "low in come schools" with "low income families," like a lot of people. Again, our knee-jerk reaction is to blame the school, and not the family... the parent... the community... Schools are an easy target, because our taxes go toward funding them, and the salaries of teachers and we have a right to speak out against them. It's ok to attack a school system or personally attack a school administrator on youtube. Somehow, that's acceptable, but it only goes one way. If a teacher or principal attacked a parent on youtube, right or wrong, they'd never work in public education again.

Don't get me wrong... public education, IMO, has a long way to go. But shallow thinking critics, who are most often the most vocal, have NO CLUE what drives education, and the depth of the issues that plague our schools and communities. Do bad things happen to good teachers and good students... absolutely. I've seen it myself personally. But don't think that just because somebody posts a rant in the social media that they're right.

I hated school as a kid. When I graduated high school I swore, "I'd never spend another day in a classroom as long as I live."

Life is funny sometimes...

This ain't no bullsh*t fu%&ing Tennis tour

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    Pro Surfer > Mainstream Sport Pro

Football pros are idiot thugs, baseball players... well I just don't get it at all but I'll commend them for their patience in the second most boring sport in the world, basketball pros... see Football Pros plus they barely even run up and down the court anymore--more like a limp/lope, Golf pros are generally overweight and not athletic at all and golf sucks donkeynutts anyway, tennis... seriously?

[QUOTE=Dalarast;176458]
    Quote Originally Posted by archy View Post

So how does working as an accountant help mankind or civilization as a whole? Yes my taxes look great and it helps me around April every year and my savings account looks good.... but as a whole no positive what so ever to the community besides supplying a service.

Pro Surfers provide a service.. just like any major athlete in sports. Entertainment. Stripping is a great job too... it entertains Oldest profession is prostitution.... is it a real job?

Yes fin boxes came before pro-surfing; but the advent of fins for performance to be able to "cut and rip" on waves is due to Australian invasion on the surfing scene that just riding a wave was not enough for competitions.

And when I think of someone asking "is it a real job" is like my parents asking why I joined the Army when I was in my twenties... I finished college and they asked me why don't I get a real job..... I thought the Army was a real job; but they didn't see it that way (they accept it and not anti-government).

If my daughter, who wants to be a pro-surfer at 8 years old, tells me at 18 that she wants to be a pro-surfer... I'm sure I will ask her... what about a real job? But if she could make it into a career, especially a female surfer, then I would support her. Musicians and anyone in a artsy profession can argue the same when perusing their hobbies as a career.
    I never said besides pro athletes that all jobs are REAL jobs. and as far as your taxes go the IRS is just a collection agency for the Federal Reserve which is a criminal corporation (that don't pay taxes) founded in 1917 by European bankers. we don't need the Fed Reserve or the IRS. but we do need those accountants so the IRS does not rob us blind or worse send us to jail.

as far as your daughter goes, sh*t man tell her to take life and opportunities and run with it. never said being a pro surfer was a bad thing. just that its not a REAL job. and musicians? well musicians have been around since the beginning of man. they like everyone else back then had to work in the field. their soul profession was not as an entertainer.

Quote Originally Posted by nynj View Post
    professional weight lifting/pro bodybuilder.

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    "Not to(o) many doctors or lawyers come from low income schools. They are not given those opportunities."

Aside from the fact that many do (trust me, I know a lot of doctors... my wife is one... so lets give them credit) a disproportionate number of high achievers DO come from more affluent communities. And you're right... that's something we need to address as a nation. But you seem to be confusing "low in come schools" with "low income families," like a lot of people. Again, our knee-jerk reaction is to blame the school, and not the family... the parent... the community... Schools are an easy target, because our taxes go toward funding them, and the salaries of teachers and we have a right to speak out against them. It's ok to attack a school system or personally attack a school administrator on youtube. Somehow, that's acceptable, but it only goes one way. If a teacher or principal attacked a parent on youtube, right or wrong, they'd never work in public education again.

Don't get me wrong... public education, IMO, has a long way to go. But shallow thinking critics, who are most often the most vocal, have NO CLUE what drives education, and the depth of the issues that plague our schools and communities. Do bad things happen to good teachers and good students... absolutely. I've seen it myself personally. But don't think that just because somebody posts a rant in the social media that they're right.

I hated school as a kid. When I graduated high school I swore, "I'd never spend another day in a classroom as long as I live."

Life is funny sometimes...
    you make a lot of good points, but you cannot ignore the changes of 90% of the school curriculum's after the inception of Bush's 'No Child Left Behind' program, and the destruction of teaching critical thought.

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    Don't you think that's a little shortsighted? If I had to put a number on it, I'd guess that about 99.99% of today's most talented, innovative, inventors and creators were educated in public schools. But people still find a way to blame the education system for everything...
    That's because the majority of people go to public schools, it's pure numbers. Not many people can afford private schools or home schooling, so the options are limited. By default these people went to public schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cosby's nephew View Post
    Baseball is not at all boring when you are playing it
    I played plenty of it and wished I was on the water the whole time every time. Baseball's for Midwesterners, I'll stick to water sports.

Quote Originally Posted by nynj View Post
    Long live Bobby Martinez!

Images
    The only team sport I honestly ever enjoyed playing was hockey.

Quote Originally Posted by archy View Post
    you cannot ignore the changes of 90% of the school curriculum's after the inception of Bush's 'No Child Left Behind' program, and the destruction of teaching critical thought.
    NCB changed a lot of things... and it was only the beginning. The only people guaranteed to make out on the deal were the textbook and test writing companies. They made a killing.

BTW... critical thinking is now taught at every grade level, and in every subject. New standardized testing instruments reflect that, as do model curricula, textbooks, etc. Just so you know...

Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    SUPrise - lots of truths in here. I do have to mention that the pro surfer's "job" hardly starts when they enter and leave the water. We all know those who were born with gifts but being the best at anything in the world isn't a lottery and in no way happens by accident. 24/7/365. Those are the hours and days of work for nearly all who are in the top one-tenth of one percent of anything in the world. Even for obscure skills, specialties, and talents, there are a lot of people out there competing for the top and cream doesn't rise if its thin and dilute.

Are there pro surfers out there that party their balls off and are less committed than others? Yes. And those individuals won't be on the tour for long. They also were the grommiest groms for years having an insatiable appetite for escalation in the sport to come close to reaching the tour.
    Agreed, those at the top of the Tour do make it a 24/7 365 "job" but I think you get what i'm saying as far as being someone who makes a living surfing as opposed to what everybody else considers a "real job". BTW, There are many other ways to make money in the industry these days though, it's not all about being #1 on tour any more, or even competing at all.