LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    Images

Building the 6'6" Gang Buster. Roy Stuarts Parallel Profile construction method.

Here in this thread my goal is to share my wood working with anyone who cares to look. I am open to advice and suggestions from anyone with a solid understanding of surfboard shaping. I will share the entire build process as best as I can. I hope my work can give others some ideas on building a surfboard from wood.
    Attached Images Attached Images

lookin good...but that thing is going to crack you open if you get hit by it

That's an interesting variant--incorporating the torsion frame into the edge veneers. I can't picture what you're trying to accomplish with the concave, so I'm very interested to see what your plan is.

Dude, I gotta ask... What's up with the pony?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    That's an interesting variant--incorporating the torsion frame into the edge veneers. I can't picture what you're trying to accomplish with the concave, so I'm very interested to see what your plan is.

Dude, I gotta ask... What's up with the pony?
    Thats our friend Daniel Tosh holding the baby horse..
    Im not using any veneer on this board its all solid wood construction. Made with clear vertical grain western red cedar. (the otherwise useless scraps from my furniture shop).. My goal with the concave is to first practice a laminating technique to see how easily I can do it and secondly I believe that the concave will work nicely with a harder rail shape such as an 80/20 down rail. it will be a continuous concave through the whole board length. Also only a slight concave maybe 1/8th inch deep, really depends how the lamination goes. any thoughts on rail shape with concave tho? like I said in the opening post Id love to hear some thoughts from people. I am merely a novice surfboard builder and know very little, I just want to make myself a quiver. THanks

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    Thats our friend Daniel Tosh holding the baby horse..
    Very,very interesting

What kind of rocker are you going for, and how?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sisurfdogg View Post
    What kind of rocker are you going for, and how?
    in the picture you can see my rocker jig. thats what I will be laminating the 4 layers on. 4 layers being the deck first, then the two internal panels followed by the bottom. the rocker jig basically shows the shape of the rocker that the board will have after all the layers are laminated together. photo-6.jpgphoto-3.jpg

Wow very nice work!

Images
    image.jpg

The deck and the first frame and block panel are laminated. The concave appears to have gone in nicely after the first round of molding.

Images
    image.jpg
    Pasting a heavy layer of west system epoxy. I mixed the epoxy with micro fibers to thicken and also some wood flour I extracted from the drum sander vacum collector.