LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    any thoughts on rail shape with concave... I am merely a novice surfboard builder and know very little, I just want to make myself a quiver. THanks
    Bravo, brother... that's what it's all about.

I think you're on the right track with the 80/20 down rail with the concave. That's a pretty basic, reliable design. Lowering the rail apex will create a hard turn at the bottom of the rail radius, into the bottom, at the edge of your concave. Your tail looks pretty wide from the pics, so I'd keep it soft... no hard edge... so you're not fighting the planing force, and it rolls over onto the rail a little easier.

Images
    What's with the RS style board naming? I've made a coule of boards and I call them "this one" and "that one" interchangeably. Same with my foam boards.

RS has a dislike for "fishbone" constructed boards. Why do you like the torsion box construction? From your pics, it looks like this thing is going to be heavy from the thick rails and the closely spaced boxes. How much are you expecting it to weigh?

I guess I'm partial to the fishbone boards. There are plenty of voids that are weightless and the rail construction is significantly thinner all making it more bouyant IMO.

What are you using for your vent?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    What's with the RS style board naming? I've made a coule of boards and I call them "this one" and "that one" interchangeably. Same with my foam boards.

RS has a dislike for "fishbone" constructed boards. Why do you like the torsion box construction? From your pics, it looks like this thing is going to be heavy from the thick rails and the closely spaced boxes. How much are you expecting it to weigh?

I guess I'm partial to the fishbone boards. There are plenty of voids that are weightless and the rail construction is significantly thinner all making it more bouyant IMO.

What are you using for your vent?
    I gave this one a definitive name because I intend to replicate it and I want something that is unique but still identifiable to be mine. Roy gives his boards cool names which I think adds to the unique and rare element. Any piece of art needs a name or distinctive title I guess..

Im most certainly not opposed to the fish bone framing method of surfboards, thats what I started with and they have proven to be a great way of making boards, like Grain surfboard for example, I love those things and they're proven to rip! I am experimenting with the torsion box out of curiosity I can't say for sure if I think its better. I like the torsion box flexibility tho, thats for sure. The torsion box has its limits perhaps in that the nose and tail can't taper in thickness but Im not sure if that really matters.. so far I don't think it does for the type of surfer I am.

the rails appear thick in the image but you need to remember that I will be trimming out the plan shape, thus eliminating a good portion of the rail blocking seen in the image. I expect the board after resin coating to weigh around 30 lbs.. I hope no more. I will post its weight after I get to that point of the build. Im excited to find out.
    I will be using a 4" stainless steel boat fitting for the vent, similar to what Roy puts in his boards.

I will be using a 4" stainless steel boat fitting for the vent, similar to what Roy puts in his boards.
    Similar to what the gnome puts in his Kool Aid.

No wonder the gnome & 'charles taylor' (yeah...ok) write the same.

Images
    image.jpg

3/4" or concave in the middle tapering out towards the tail and nose.

Images
    image.jpg

3/4" or concave in the middle tapering out towards the tail and nose.
    Looking good man, I'll give you $300,000 for it.

Images
    Haha right. If someone wanted to take if off my hands id feel good about 1,500 considering the time and cost of materials I have into it so far. But I'm making these for myself so dollar value isn't important.

Looking very nice and 1500 would be a fair price in my opinion. I understand exactly how much work goes into making these. If you ever do sell don't undercut yourself. Your work and time are much to valuable.

+1 total hilarity.

Let me give you my Lloyds of London contact. You'll want to insure that bad boy.

What people usually don't understand about a properly constructed wood surfboard is the amount of man hours put into the build. Easily five times of that as a foam board....easily. Also they will last a lifetime if properly cared for. They just don't suffer the same effects as a foam surfboard ( rail/tail cancer, pressure dents). You will have those that try to haggle the price down to that or less than a foamie because your not a "famous shaper" and when you calculate the labor rate you would be working for at their price it would be more profitable for you to work at McDonald's. I think no wood surfboard builder would entertain a really lowball offer because these types of boards are not going for cheap anywhere.