LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
    What people usually don't understand about a properly constructed wood surfboard is the amount of man hours put into the build. Easily five times of that as a foam board....easily. Also they will last a lifetime if properly cared for. They just don't suffer the same effects as a foam surfboard ( rail/tail cancer, pressure dents). You will have those that try to haggle the price down to that or less than a foamie because your not a "famous shaper" and when you calculate the labor rate you would be working for at their price it would be more profitable for you to work at McDonald's. I think no wood surfboard builder would entertain a really lowball offer because these types of boards are not going for cheap anywhere.
    So there are 4 guys I know on SI that make wooden surfboards. You and I, this new guy Charles and RS. I'm not quitting my day job to start building boards. Good luck to you if you decide to do that. RS has proven to us that he has a "southern hemisphere" mindset and that's his own deal.

I build my HWS's because it keeps me in the surf game when there's no wave or no time. I also came to the realization that I'm not gonna be the best surfer out there but I will have the best looking board. How many compliments do you get per day on your foam board? Probably about as many as I get on my new haircut... 0. A HWS is never a pop-out, will last for many, many years and is a beautiful thing no matter whose design book you're using.

Bottom line is I enjoy making them, riding them and learning from past mistakes. Not making them for $$$. I'd bet all of us, even RS, would agree.

Images
    Fortunately I pack cocaine into every board I make and it gets sent off the Canada with all the seasonal tourists. Nice way to make a little extra $image.jpg

Here I'm preparing to laminate the final layer ( the bottom panel) into the surfboard.

Keep postin pics. This is a really cool build you've got going on.

Images
    I was kidding about the cocaine. I don't use drugs seriously. I was testing the national security agency.

Tomorrow the four layers will be completely laminated together. The concave in the boards looks so good, getting it in is really quite easy With the flexible battens on the rocker jig. image.jpg

Images
    Sorry for the sideways pictures ... I gotta handle that

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    I don't use drugs seriously
    So many different directions I could go with this, I just don't know where to start...

On another note:
    Look'n good man!
    Last edited by Erock; Jul 12, 2013 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Ohhh the irony of leaving out an entire word

Very handsome construction going on here. nice work! Stoked to see how these turn out.

Images
    [QUOTE] RS has proven to us that he has a "southern hemisphere" mindset and that's his own deal.
    /QUOTE]
    I am just curious to know more about this ? the reason being I have fallen partial to the Parallel profile method and it was his work that I studied via youtube which allowed me to reverse engineer his construction style. I am by no means biased to Parallel profile boards, so far I really enjoy tinkering with the concept tho.. I have grown up on factory mals and generally love them all except the bic of course... those things are suck.

/QUOTE]
    I have grown up on factory mals and generally love them all except the bic of course... those things are suck.[/QUOTE]

I rode a rented Bic at Malibu, and it was awesome... like living the dream of driving a cast iron car: If anybody drops in on you... "oops."

Images
    image.jpg

Shaping these end grain rails is going to take a while. Notice the concave