LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Images
    How Many resin coats do u guys recommend ? Also when putting coats on is it best to apply when prior coats have tackified or wait till cure then sand down to allow epoxy to "key" into it's self ? Follow ?

If what yankee says is true and these three forum names are one and the same person, it's fairly amazing that the one man behind all three has been having an exclusive round table discussion amongst his split personalities for the better part of a few weeks now. Wowzas!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    How Many resin coats do u guys recommend ? Also when putting coats on is it best to apply when prior coats have tackified or wait till cure then sand down to allow epoxy to "key" into it's self ? Follow ?
    It's best to throw on subsequent coats before the previous coat fully cures. Chemical bond > mechanical bond

Images
    Thanks Erock that's what I thought but I wasn't 100%

It is true that one should re coat before the resin is fully cured, so that chemical bonding occurs. The issue is whether or not to sand between coats. One can re-coat as soon as the resin is tacky enough to do so, but the risk is that the previous coat will have formed an amine blush which will prevent bonding. If amine blush occurs it will do so immediately, as soon as the resin contacts the atmosphere. So although re-coating as early as possible can give the best chemical bond, it can also give no bond at all, it's a bit of a lottery. Using a dehumidifier to keep the humidity below 40% relative humidity works, as long as there's not too much CO2 from breathing in the glassing space, as this also causes amine blush.

The most reliable method is to wet sand or scrub with steel wool and water as soon as the resin can be sanded. This removes the blush. If the other side of the board is still raw wood then this can be done with a small amount of water and a clean absorbent cloth to make sure that water doesn't get on the raw wood, a masking tape skirt helps with this. Provided that one is only removing blush not fairing the surface a fine grit i.e. 320 or so can be used, as it is faster and less messy.

Having said that Charles if you are using WEST 105 with 207 hardener it isn't as prone to blush as some resins and can be bonded without sanding quite successfully, it's still best to control the temperature and humidity though, and i'm no longer prepared to risk it.

Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    If what yankee says is true and these three forum names are one and the same person, it's fairly amazing that the one man behind all three has been having an exclusive round table discussion amongst his split personalities for the better part of a few weeks now. Wowzas!
    What would be even more amazing is the ability to change my appearance to look like three different people, with three different workshops, and going to the extreme length of using imported Western Red Cedar when I have a shed full of Paulownia.... just so that I can pose as a couple of blokes from the USA.

And I was talkin a wit ma-se-elf oh oh uh oh. Oh oh uh oh...

I don't care who made it, that is a pretty sweet looking surfboard. Nice work.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SHREDSLED View Post
    I don't care who made it, that is a pretty sweet looking surfboard. Nice work.
    Thank you shred sled. That's a very nice thing to say. It is my board and I love it so far. I think it will ride very nicely too. I can't wait for hurricane season to test it on some over head surf. Been so flat in Maine.. Typical summer in New England

Images
    Roy is it possible to use linseed oil to seal the parallel profile boards ?