LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    988
    Images
    24

    Outer Bar, Outer Banks

    Anyone ever charged the outer bar on the Outer Banks on a big hurricane or winter swell? I'll bet you ten bucks njshredmachine has.

  2. #2
    I've been out on the second bar when it was 12-15 foot faces on the peaks that crumbled to 8-10 foot barrels. The way outer bars only crumbled.

    I'm not really comfortable in those kind of waves. It was big but not fun.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by vab View Post
    I've been out on the second bar when it was 12-15 foot faces on the peaks that crumbled to 8-10 foot barrels. The way outer bars only crumbled.

    I'm not really comfortable in those kind of waves. It was big but not fun.
    yeah, I was waaaay out beyond the duck pier and it was giant and hollow. no fun at all. finally just pushed over the ledge to get in and was shocked to find myself in the slot. I grabbed the rail, dropped a knee and held on. when I was half way past the end of the pier it started closing out. I punch thru the back, came out the other side and watch my board make it all the way to the beach. I , turned over and kicked on my back so I could see the monster coming from outside. I'd dive but get sucked up and slammed, I did that all the way to the sand. when I picked up my board, all the tourons gave me a standing ovation.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Hammonton, NJ
    Posts
    1,557
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by chicharronne View Post
    yeah, I was waaaay out beyond the duck pier and it was giant and hollow. no fun at all. finally just pushed over the ledge to get in and was shocked to find myself in the slot. I grabbed the rail, dropped a knee and held on. when I was half way past the end of the pier it started closing out. I punch thru the back, came out the other side and watch my board make it all the way to the beach. I , turned over and kicked on my back so I could see the monster coming from outside. I'd dive but get sucked up and slammed, I did that all the way to the sand. when I picked up my board, all the tourons gave me a standing ovation.
    Ya know there is supposedly strange sea creatures around the Duck Pier, and I'm not talking aboot sharks.

    Ain't talking aboot sharks. My sharks are rotten to the core
    Ain't talking aboot sharks. Like I told you before...yeah before......
    You know I've been to the edge.......stood and looked down

    Woah, sometimes I get possessed by David Lee Roth, sorry.

    Anyways I'm talking like weird scientific sea creatures made by mad scientists.

    Hey Chiccy, do you park at the Barrier Island or Sunset Grill? Or just ball-to-the-wall it and park in the neighborhood or bum rush the research dudes.

    And fellas, an outer bar is relative, and I ain't talking aboot kin folk...oh,oh

    Ain't talking aboot kin folk. My kin folk is rotten to the core
    Ain't talking aboot kin folk. Like I told you before....

    And if it's large and in charge in the Outer Banks.........look for a certain "outside bar" in Kitty Hawk. Really. Or jump off the ghost of the Avalon Pier. They ever gets to fixin' that thar pier?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    ... Lee ...mad ... ball-to-the-wall ... bum rush ...dudes..oh,oh... large and in charge
    Got rid of some unnecessary words for you

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    Ya know there is supposedly strange sea creatures around the Duck Pier, and I'm not talking aboot sharks.

    Ain't talking aboot sharks. My sharks are rotten to the core
    Ain't talking aboot sharks. Like I told you before...yeah before......
    You know I've been to the edge.......stood and looked down

    Woah, sometimes I get possessed by David Lee Roth, sorry.

    Anyways I'm talking like weird scientific sea creatures made by mad scientists.

    Hey Chiccy, do you park at the Barrier Island or Sunset Grill? Or just ball-to-the-wall it and park in the neighborhood or bum rush the research dudes.

    And fellas, an outer bar is relative, and I ain't talking aboot kin folk...oh,oh

    Ain't talking aboot kin folk. My kin folk is rotten to the core
    Ain't talking aboot kin folk. Like I told you before....

    And if it's large and in charge in the Outer Banks.........look for a certain "outside bar" in Kitty Hawk. Really. Or jump off the ghost of the Avalon Pier. They ever gets to fixin' that thar pier?
    Ain't talking aboot sharks. My sharks are rotten to the core
    Ain't talking aboot sharks. Like I told you before...yeah before......
    You know I've been to the edge.......stood and looked down
    Thanks aboot dat. I got that stinking song in my head now.

    I bought a jeep specifically to get to the beach at Duck pier. After it got mooshed by a pecan tree bhind my house, I'd park on sprigtail road just north of the pier. Before 4x4, I had to do the walk of flames from the beach to the parking lot

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    988
    Images
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by chicharronne View Post
    yeah, I was waaaay out beyond the duck pier and it was giant and hollow. no fun at all. finally just pushed over the ledge to get in and was shocked to find myself in the slot. I grabbed the rail, dropped a knee and held on. when I was half way past the end of the pier it started closing out. I punch thru the back, came out the other side and watch my board make it all the way to the beach. I , turned over and kicked on my back so I could see the monster coming from outside. I'd dive but get sucked up and slammed, I did that all the way to the sand. when I picked up my board, all the tourons gave me a standing ovation.
    Wow, great story.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by vab View Post
    I've been out on the second bar when it was 12-15 foot faces on the peaks that crumbled to 8-10 foot barrels. The way outer bars only crumbled.

    I'm not really comfortable in those kind of waves. It was big but not fun.
    Sounds like the ideal conditions I like to bring noobs out for lessons in. Give em time, they'll grow on ya.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Ocean City Nj
    Posts
    320
    Images
    1
    not in the outer banks but i was on a outside bar in Florida I thought it was going to be fun until i got out there with 2 other friends and realized 2 things: I did not have the balls to catch these waves, which were perfect fast and hollow and also 15+ faces. 2, I also could not get back into shore without catching a wave. This is a problem! Found myself paddling for my life every time a set came through. Finally after 2 hours i caught the smallest wave possible. . . dropped down the face straightened out and it exploded behind me and dragged me into shore enough where I was out of some danger and could actually start paddling in. Then next wave i grabbed my board for dear life and let it push me into shore. this was a life changing experience and makes me respect the ocean and people who actually charge huge waves

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by ocsurf32 View Post
    not in the outer banks but i was on a outside bar in Florida I thought it was going to be fun until i got out there with 2 other friends and realized 2 things: I did not have the balls to catch these waves, which were perfect fast and hollow and also 15+ faces. 2, I also could not get back into shore without catching a wave. This is a problem! Found myself paddling for my life every time a set came through. Finally after 2 hours i caught the smallest wave possible. . . dropped down the face straightened out and it exploded behind me and dragged me into shore enough where I was out of some danger and could actually start paddling in. Then next wave i grabbed my board for dear life and let it push me into shore. this was a life changing experience and makes me respect the ocean and people who actually charge huge waves
    Had a similar experience during a big cane swell in Florida a number of years back. I was out 2 hours and caught 3 waves. On the first wave, I caught a rail halfway through the drop and it felt like concrete when I hit the water. My rashie got pulled over my head and I got held down for a while. ****ing scary.

    Just like you, I gained a whole new respect for big wave riders and pros. I also learned the value of physical fitness. My level of enjoyment in big stuff is directly proportionate to my fitness level. That being said, I'll take head high and fun over big and gnarly any day.