LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    ^^^^^Thanks for the follow up, was curious to see how that case panned out...those Karans should have to walk the plank.

I have not heard of this case before. So I just read the news article for the 1st...
    So did they lose part of their property or is their view just ruined from building a Dune?
    If they lost some of their property they should be paid...
    If they can't see the ocean because of a dune tough shiz

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nynj View Post
    I have not heard of this case before. So I just read the news article for the 1st...
    So did they lose part of their property or is their view just ruined from building a Dune?
    If they lost some of their property they should be paid...
    If they can't see the ocean because of a dune tough shiz
    the way i understood the case, they had the option to sign an easement, which would have given the town the right to build a dune on the ocean-front side of their property. they (and some other homeowners, i believe) refused to grant the easement, which then led the town to take the needed section under the rule of eminent domain. this would entitle them to compensation, but they demanded $325,000 for the blocking of their ocean view, without assigning any value to the building of the dune (which would offset any loss of value that the dune would create). the NJ Supremes said nay - any compensation should factor in the benefits they received from the dune.

so yes, they lost a portion of their property but got a dune that will likely save the rest of their property some day. they wanted compensation for the loss without considering the value of the dune. (btw, i only know what i read - if i got anything wrong, feel free to correct me)

never followed that Harvey Cedars story, but those people... well lets just say if you want to live by the beach be prepared to die by the beach.

this whole 'stronger than the storm' sh*t phrase. c'mon! sounds like some idiotic Staten Island fist pumping crap. nothing is more powerful than the force of mother nature. I would not be surprised or sad if after all this rebuilding we get another storm to take it all down.

Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    but they demanded $325,000 for the blocking of their ocean view, without assigning any value to the building of the dune (which would offset any loss of value that the dune would create).
    this is b/c idiotic transplants like these folks don't see any value in dunes! that's how they got knocked down in the first place. they buy property on an island they don't understand & only want what they want...a big, excessive house w/ a beautiful view. **** everyone else. if i lived on lbi & i sustained damage to my home or property b/c these people refused to sign an easement allowing a dune to be built, i'd sue them all the way to the poor house.
    i have *zero* patience w/ people who don't take the time to understand the oceanography & coastal geology involved here.

I just saw the interview of Mrs Karans. Wow, she made some real ignorant comments. She basically was saying how making the beach wider is more important than making the dunes higher!!! What an idiot, having a sizable dune with trees is the most important part in preventing the ocean from breaching. These Karans are money hungry fools!

7. Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    this is b/c idiotic transplants like these folks don't see any value in dunes! that's how they got knocked down in the first place. they buy property on an island they don't understand & only want what they want...a big, excessive house w/ a beautiful view. **** everyone else. if i lived on lbi & i sustained damage to my home or property b/c these people refused to sign an easement allowing a dune to be built, i'd sue them all the way to the poor house.
    i have *zero* patience w/ people who don't take the time to understand the oceanography & coastal geology involved here.
    +1. This is correct. The basic claim is the value of the ocean view is much greater then the value of the dune protection. Therefore, they should be paid the value difference. njsurfer is right, the problem with the claim is it base on the individual property. Communities that are near bodies of water need to look at the community as a system not individual plots of land. I know that ship has sailed, but the supreme court decision is a small win that will help the municipalities and engineers to make long term plans without paying out thousands to kooks who only care about themselves.

And with the early activity that we are seeing with TS Chantal I hope we don't get another test like Sandy so soon. I know we all like the swell, but i would much rather drop $2K and get OH surf in Oaxaca in August, then watch another Sandy. Which reminds me to start packing soon, 3 weeks of international travel coming up. Hopefully score.

Quote Originally Posted by mOtion732 View Post
    i'm sorry but the stronger than the storm song is terrible
    I agree, everytime I hear that damn commercial I laugh and think, "No, you are not stronger than a storm, you are at the mercy of Mother Nature.

While I laugh at the commercial, I want to clarify that I am not in any way finding humor in what happened to Jersey during Sandy. It could have easily hit my area and destroyed everything here

Quote Originally Posted by mOtion732 View Post
    i'm sorry but the stronger than the storm song is terrible
    Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    ...and (for once) common sense prevails:

the money quote:

certainly not...they will benefit by having homes that are safer from future storms. hopefully, this will convince others to sign the f*cking easement and get out of the way.

http://thesandpaper.villagesoup.com/...t-case/1027892
    More important to be "smarter than the storm" than stronger. Everybody is strong in this state, just look at the never-ending plastering of WOW stickers on every car. "Strong" is so yesterday people, come on already; Being Weak is in, and fashionably hip.

Now if the Supreme Court can only fix the Asbury Park Circle, we'll be on our way! I generally change the lyrics and sing, "Cause we're weaker than the norm, oh ooooooooooo, oooooooooo, oh, oooooo" driving on that out-dated of a go-cart track they call the "Asbury Park Circle."

Yes, for a $25 million marketing ad campaign, the song could be better, way better. Marketing at it's worst. A far better option would have been to go with something along these lines: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgQ5BJTSv9U Admit it, it's been way too long since you've heard this song. This whole post was just a lame excuse to somehow link this song in.

Come on Chantal, send us some swell up here.

Gov Christies belt is just barely stronger than his belly. Also, he's wearing a pink button down at the beach in those ads. Come on now! Where is the stone pony tee shirt?

* than