LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Funny thing about seaweed too is that you'll find significant size difference for neighboring spots...there are two spots within a couple miles of each other, both beachbreaks, and they're always calling for one to be like 2 ft bigger than the other, and I really don't think the bathymetric profiles differ that drastically b/t the two spots.

Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    Funny thing about seaweed too is that you'll find significant size difference for neighboring spots...there are two spots within a couple miles of each other, both beachbreaks, and they're always calling for one to be like 2 ft bigger than the other, and I really don't think the bathymetric profiles differ that drastically b/t the two spots.
    . MSW doesn't know what's it's talking about.
    Yeah I don't use msw at all. It's surfline and swellinfo. I find them to be very similiar in forecasting accuracy. Surfline is awesome because you get an actual report with camera shots from multiple spots! Saves so much gas. And a report is obviously way better than a forecast when you wake up in the morning and are deciding whether to go or not! I don't understand who would pay for surfline premium though in new england? Who would pay for a forecast 4 days out in Rhode Island? You get everything you need for free.....cams/reports/forecasts for 3 days out.
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Jul 9, 2013 at 02:04 PM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    . MSW doesn't know what's it's talking about.
    Yeah I don't use msw at all. It's surfline and swellinfo. I find them to be very similiar in forecasting accuracy. Surfline is awesome because you get an actual report with camera shots from multiple spots! Saves so much gas. And a report is obviously way better than a forecast when you wake up in the morning and are deciding whether to go or not! I don't understand who would pay for surfline premium though in new england? Who would pay for a forecast 4 days out in Rhode Island? You get everything you need for free.....cams/reports/forecasts for 3 days out.
    Absolutely, don't need much more than that, I do love the write-up provided by NEsurf too.

Don't read the forecasted surf report; but learn to read the tide, wind, swell direction, and buoy reports. Most are live reports that you can determine where swell may be based on above data.

Or just watch a live feed and hope that once you drive the 5 minutes to 1 hour the swell you see on the screen will still be there.

Or consult a palm reader or Native American spiritual guide.....

Or purchase a Delorean and go into the future and scout out the waves and then come back in time to report back in...but don't tamper with the time line! Bad juju!

Images
    Man, you younger dudes and novice types are wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too addicted and dependant on surf predictin' sites.

Original thread gangster dude: Dude, you live in NJ, you're probably on summer vacation, it's friggin summer........just wake up and go to the friggin beach. Don't make it so dang complicated. You don't have to get validation from every website that offers predictions on future events.

Just go. You'll win some and you'll lose some. The ocean can change in an instant.

Seldom Seen: Nice Dog, man. Fur pups in da house. WOOF WOOF WOOF. All the furry kids say, " HOOOOO."

Images
    HOOOOO! Thank you sir, that's my pride and joy. And Drast, just for the record, agree w/ your first point and do all of those things, but I do like having the forecast to direct my attention to what may be coming a few days in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalarast View Post
    Don't read the forecasted surf report; but learn to read the tide, wind, swell direction, and buoy reports. Most are live reports that you can determine where swell may be based on above data.

Or just watch a live feed and hope that once you drive the 5 minutes to 1 hour the swell you see on the screen will still be there.

Or consult a palm reader or Native American spiritual guide.....

Or purchase a Delorean and go into the future and scout out the waves and then come back in time to report back in...but don't tamper with the time line! Bad juju!
    Honestly the buoy is not very good at predicting what's going on at the beach. The block island buoy is 35 miles offshore and 3 foot at 8 seconds might be waist high or it might be flat. It's like flipping a coin. You never know.

Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    Honestly the buoy is not very good at predicting what's going on at the beach. The block island buoy is 35 miles offshore and 3 foot at 8 seconds might be waist high or it might be flat. It's like flipping a coin. You never know.
    True story. Our local buoy is pretty far off-shore, but it does help a bit. It will tell me if there are any waves out there, but then I have to check the tide, swell direction, wind speed, and wind direction to see if that means anything at the islands.

Quote Originally Posted by antoine View Post
    I really enjoy the technology that is at our finger tips and the vast amount of knowledge one can attain through education of science . Of course it is easier to side with the masses and complain about the accuracy, or lack there of in the reports furnished in great detail.
    I remember when I first started surfing my folks still didn't even have internet yet. My buddy and I just checked the wind direction on the Weather Channel, went to the beach, and hoped for the best. Now I have a live forecast in the palm of my hand. Nuts man.

Edit: the craziest part being that I'm not even old
    Last edited by mattybrews; Jul 9, 2013 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post
    are we really hyping waist high windswell?
    When I've spent two weeks paddling into closeouts that barely cover the hair on the tops of my feet? Absolutely.