LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Swell info is almost always on point in the winter. Summertime is a much harder season to predict and the admin has been talking about how much work he is putting into it for quite some time.

Anyone use surf-forecast.com? I use that and SwellInfo. SI always seems optimistic to me which helps in the end because it gets you out there and you'll make the most of being out there with positive thinking. MSW says flat all the time for my breaks it lists and that's never the case. It doesn't list several of my area breaks. Surf line seems to be very conservative always and they have next to none of my breaks.

I also use the antique barometer my grandmother gave me when I moved to the coast as well as watching wind direction/speed, warm/cold fronts, and learning as much as I can about bathymetry and ocean hydrodynamics.
    Last edited by EmassSpicoli; Jul 9, 2013 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    Man, you younger dudes and novice types are wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too addicted and dependant on surf predictin' sites.

Original thread gangster dude: Dude, you live in NJ, you're probably on summer vacation, it's friggin summer........just wake up and go to the friggin beach. Don't make it so dang complicated. You don't have to get validation from every website that offers predictions on future events.

Just go. You'll win some and you'll lose some. The ocean can change in an instant.

Seldom Seen: Nice Dog, man. Fur pups in da house. WOOF WOOF WOOF. All the furry kids say, " HOOOOO."
    Yes, I am from NJ. I live 15 mins from the beach. I surf all year long. I have experience.. I put the time in to learn about waves, forecasting, etc... I just wondered whyyy the difference in forecasting with MSW vs SI? I do have to say that, generally, during bigger swells, SI is spot on and MSW down-sizes the swell... As others have mentioned, during the summer months it's harder to forecast... Why is that? (Always trying to educate myself). Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by shorebreaker View Post
    Yes, I am from NJ. I live 15 mins from the beach. I surf all year long. I have experience.. I put the time in to learn about waves, forecasting, etc... I just wondered whyyy the difference in forecasting with MSW vs SI? I do have to say that, generally, during bigger swells, SI is spot on and MSW down-sizes the swell... As others have mentioned, during the summer months it's harder to forecast... Why is that? (Always trying to educate myself). Thanks!
    In summertime, the the weather systems that cause waves are smaller and shorter-lasting than in other seasons. Like for example in Summer I'll follow a Low through the Midwest and try to predict when in the next 2 days will be the best 2-4 hour window. If I'm right, I score -- usually without too much in the way of non-local crowds either -- since most surfers under 35 seem to be wholly reliant on free websites to try to predict swells. In Fall for example, its a different story, with some tropical system coming up the coast thats been tracked since the coast of Africa, the window for waves is much wider, like 1-3 days instead of 2-4 hrs, so its just so much easier for you and the rest of the sheep herd to stumble across decent waves.

Quote Originally Posted by mattybrews View Post
    I remember when I first started surfing my folks still didn't even have internet yet. My buddy and I just checked the wind direction on the Weather Channel, went to the beach, and hoped for the best. Now I have a live forecast in the palm of my hand. Nuts man.

Edit: the craziest part being that I'm not even old
    Remember calling the local surf shop for the surf report? Remember when those jerks did the worse and got an answering machine for the surf report and never updated throughout the day....

And I don't think I'm that old

Also remember... home phones?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalarast View Post
    Those were the Shiz. You could leave em at home when you went out with your brahs and babes and not have to be burdened by overstuffed pockets.

Anyone see those old-school handsets with cords that you plug into your cell and pimp in throwback fashion? They solid. And only bout 30 bones.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatSlyB View Post
    Swell info is almost always on point in the winter. Summertime is a much harder season to predict and the admin has been talking about how much work he is putting into it for quite some time.
    Hear ya.
    5 days out it's always green, SI kidz. Live & learn. Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose...

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    Hear ya.
    5 days out it's always green, SI kidz. Live & learn. Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose...
    Starchy says we don't have this "freedom" thing. Is freedom like foosball? Cuz momma says that's the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    Anyone use surf-forecast.com?.
    I look at it along with the other sources (forecasts, local reports, web cams, and newspaper), but surf-forecast is often significantly off the mark for my area (Dam Neck/VA Beach). I mean real outlier readings compared to the others. For wave and swell data, I think it uses buoy readings which are quite a distance offshore and dont usually reflect how the waves are breaking at the beach.
    But there have been a number of times when the forecasts and even the reports say it's flat and I've actually gone out and found otherwise due to tide and wind conditions. Sometimes, but not often, I've hit it right in a narrow window of opportunity. My job is right by the beach, so I'll often throw the board on the car on the way to work, flat forecast or not. I'm beginning to rely more on what I'm learning from repeated experience at my usual breaks than just going by the online forecasts. But I'm relatively new to this and no expert.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalarast View Post
    Remember calling the local surf shop for the surf report? Remember when those jerks did the worse and got an answering machine for the surf report and never updated throughout the day....

And I don't think I'm that old

HAHA I forget relatives names at family reunions but I still remember both WRV surf report numbers.

They were also good to know in case someone wanted your number...but...well...you...didn't exactly want to see them again I wonder how many Ohio tourist chicas are still waiting for the beep at the end of some VB surfer's answering machine message.

As far as accuracy, I usually figured there were waves whenever the report was late or not updated.