LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    both of you guys bring up valid points and both locations have their positives and negatives. if i was moving to the NW itd probably be to vancouver, sombrio is a fun wave and great mountain biking nearby. ive traveled to a lot of places tho, and still really like my local NJ beach break home town

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    DUDE, the east coast is NOT epic. The east coast is all aboot onshore windswells that throw you one clean day as the winds switch offshore, the low pressure heads towards the North Atlantic, and the surf starts to receede.

There are a lot of you misguided confused souls that by into this, " THE WEST COAST HAS NO GOOD BEACH BREAK" thang. ARE YOU NUTS ??

The west coast has great beach breaks from Mayhego all the way through Canada. Let's see Puerto Escondidio is pretty good, as long with numerous other beachies south of the border. Better than the east coast and most Mexican beachies snap harder than Deal, NJ.

California's surf media focuses on the cobblestone points, but they have miles of beachbreak thta can get real good. Can anywhere on the east coast ever touch the size, power and class of Black's Beach? Can any east coast beachie handle a 10 foot, long period swell like Ocean Beach(SF)? Hey, Moss Landing is pretty good too. Ventura........Oxnard.....

Shucks, Newport Beach outclasses east coast beachbreaks. The east coast is on par with the red headed step child breaks like El Porto. Dude, if you looked you'll find plenty of good peaks in the Pacific Northwest.

Anyways, just the whole surfing experience is more raw and authentic in the Pacific Northwest. Hiking through redwood forrests to get to spots untouched by man and surfing in a natural unspoiled environment awakens the senses. Not like some dull session in front of condos and hotels in VA Beach. Man, you feel like you are on Deadliest Catch when you surf in the Pacific Northwest.

Santa Cruz is a GREAT place......except that it is completely overrun. Too crowded, with friction from the generational hotshot locals, UCSC students and dudes from Victorville(could be a wrong inland town reference but hey I went for it).
    haha. gotta throw in puerto huh? lets throw in nova scotia then. and puerto rico. $hit, Jbay, skeleton point, morroco, ireland are all east of the west coast. that count? stick to the topic at hand. easy to cherry pick most infamous spots huh?
    i grew up on the central coast and the beachbreaks, although consistent, are not typically hollow like say, NJ by any means. mostly sorta ho-hum. the 'surf media' tends to avoid them beacuse they are not that great most of the time. newport? gets really fun yes, but has more than it's fair share of flatness and $hitty closeouts. and talk about crowed, entitled, rich-boy f*ck-heads. and of course there is expections like moss, blacks, OB ($hithole 99% of the time) but the number of good days is roughly the same. more size yes, but chunky and onshore most of the time. you surfed the outer banks much? NJ. NY or cape cod going off? Maine? anywhere? do you even surf? lots of west coast people (some well know mavericks chargers) will vouch for places like NJ and outer banks. hell, i've sat on the railing at the lane checking a surf mag with some of the boys drooling over pics east coast dredgers.
    i've seen socal dead flat for months on end. plus, west coast beachbreaks closeout on long period swell. they turn on with short interval swell. sound familiar?
    oh, the redwoods end in southern oregon. after that it's spruce, cedar and alder till AK.
    town proper in santa cruz is over-run sometimes. but the sheer number of spots plays nicely in your favor over time. just last month i surfed a reef at the top of the point (east side) firing with only 3 other guys for hours. in winter, nobody wants it in the mornings. true the beachbreaks are better around there but mostly on south swells. and great, OB handles 10 ft. try and paddle out when it's like that. most humans can't handle it. not saying 'it has no good beachbreaks' at all! just the NW! just not better then your gonna find here. name 1 where this dude is thinking about going.
    don't even try to compare the NW to santa cruz/central coast area or some of the beaches on the east coast. you'd have to be delusional. you would feel like your on deadliest catch.... lost at sea. not that 'surfable'. this is why i threw out SC.
    this dude wants to surf and hike or whatever... well central coast CA has it all. hell, mountain biking was invented there. the NW, besides summer/early fall, isn't so great a place to be a surfer. i'd take the east over the NW.

using mexico beaches for backup?!?! whole other ballgame. it's not like west coast surfers just go surf them all the time or something. everybody from everywhere goes there. ****, why not add hawaii to your list. it's west of here.
    Last edited by AtanticO; Jul 10, 2013 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    Oh yeah, let me add..........I rather deal with emo hipsters and some comical meth stars than the thugs and heroin addicts in New Jersey. People get shot around here all of the time. It's very scary. And everybody is on heroin. Really, everybody is. Just go to any train station that leads into Camden or Newark and you'll see them all just standing there........OMG I just shruddered at the thought.

Some people might bag on the Pacific Northwest because it's just not their bag, man. Rainy, foggy, desolate, sharky........it scares people, just like those thugs in New Jersey. Oh, the red triangle ceases well below Washington state and sharks do know not to cross any borders(hain't been no atttacks there)...kind of like when Roscoe P. Coltrane would chase the Duke boys and would have to stop at the end of Hazzard County. Oh man, remember Sherriff Little over in Chickasaw County. Wow, he was a mean one. Thems were good times.

Anyways Matty, it sounds like surfing isn't main priority so, if it sucks as bad as Atlantic0 says, you can do your other thangs and then hit it when it's on. Word. Hey can I come with you, man?
    wow. it's good to know that people only do drugs and get shot inland NJ. you think heroin isn't in the NW?? baaahahaha!! most of it gets to the east via the west coast. fact.

my point was... if you move to the PNW, get ready to not surf that much. i had a friend in the PNW from the outer banks. he absolutely ripped. easily the best surfer around. but quit surfing altogether after a while. he always talked about wanting to go back to the east coast or down to CA. he felt very let down by the PNW. the grass ain't always greener...

Quote Originally Posted by Kahuna Kai View Post
    That's amazing! Didn't Greg Noll move to Oregon?
    he moved to cresent city and quit surfing... but makes $5000 wooden guns and such.

Quote Originally Posted by AtanticO View Post
    he moved to cresent city and quit surfing... but makes $5000 wooden guns and such.
    There are many old names in surfing in the PNW and their children and children's children. Met a number of them on a couple of occasions at a couple of the better known spots in N. Oregon on lazy day surfing days. There are also many nice spots tucked away with and without easy access. Some of the walk-in spots on goat trails are simply mind boggling beautiful. Reminds me of surfing in PR in the early days before there were so many crowds and so much development The rewards are out there for those who seek them.

The real important question is why do you want to move? Are things severely ****ed up where you are and you feel you need a fresh start?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AtanticO View Post
    wow. it's good to know that people only do drugs and get shot inland NJ. you think heroin isn't in the NW?? baaahahaha!! most of it gets to the east via the west coast. fact.

my point was... if you move to the PNW, get ready to not surf that much. i had a friend in the PNW from the outer banks. he absolutely ripped. easily the best surfer around. but quit surfing altogether after a while. he always talked about wanting to go back to the east coast or down to CA. he felt very let down by the PNW. the grass ain't always greener...
    Dude don't do that bahhhaaaaa thang.

Dude, New Jersey's heroin does NOT come from the west coast. FACT. Your dope out there is garbage. FACT. New Jersey typically wins the title of State with the Purest Heroin on Streets....look up some facts and figures from sources that know the scoop. And Philly is THE CITY for the raw.

We get our dope from South America. And it doesn't go through Mexico like the media and stuff has you believe. It comes directly from Colombia or via Puerto Rico, The Dominican Republic, etc. And it comes straight to New York, Philly and other shipping ports or airports throughout the east coast.

Anyway what was your point, ese? I never said, "Drugs only exist in New Jersey." And you claimed emo and meth as the typical NW types. So I countered that I'd rather deal with them than with the typical NJ person. Meth is wayyyyyyy bigger out there and heroin is wayyyyyyyyy bigger out here.

And your statement that most of the east's heroin comes from the west coast makes me question how much you really know aboot the surf in Washington. Actually your descriptions sound straight out of a surfing guide. You named all of the spots that they would name. Man, we don't do that tar grabage out here, baby. South American white, man. Even LA's dope sucks. You come to the Northeast for that stuff, sugar.

Who was your Outer Banks friend that ripped so hard?

"Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause." - Confucius

Images
    And yes, I am insane when it comes to people making false claims concerning drug potency and it's smuggling routes. Yes, it's a sore spot of mine, and, yes, I am nuts. I readily admit to this.

So no hard feeling Atlantic0 but gosh dang it man, we northeasterners do not get dope from the west coast. My God, it makes no sense economically or georgraphically. I mean, Colombia is right down south of us. Why would they send it a quarter-way around the world in the wrong direction? ARGGHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    and share a bowl of sticky dank with the right guy, and you can get hooked up sick.
    +1, Public Service Announcement right here. This goes for anywhere in the world my friends. Be generous, make friends, it's that simple.