LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Think globally and s**t locally. Do a Blue Water Task Force program by Surfrider Foundation if you want data. It takes a few committed volunteers - 4 to 6 to collect and run samples. The government (local, state and feds) can be shamed and are scared of real data. It can be used to clean up specific areas affected by septic fields, poor flush, excessive point source violators etc. I have done this and it does work on a limited basis, but it takes an awful lot of work. Good luck. Remember, everyone has to eat, therefore..

...Also storm runoff is another issue, and golf courses can be shamed into using more organic fertilizers. But the sugar farmers here in Florida send crap water all over the state with impunity. Another issue for another time. Only fight the battles you can win.

Images
    it realy hurts... yall know that i grantee our kids kids wont be able to surf in a lot of places that we do today.

I like how we had a $30MM shortfall for the school budget 2 yrs ago, but can come up with $18MM of taxpayer money for Bruce Thompson for the Cavalier after we bankrolled his Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by DosXX View Post
    And let's not forget the mayor and city council turning over taxpayers' money to developers (who financed their elections & reelections) to fund highly questionable, private projects that benefit no one but themselves. All this when the city does not have enough money to adequately pay its school teachers. In VB, shaking down tourists for their revenue and paying off developers comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Dog View Post
    I like how we had a $30MM shortfall for the school budget 2 yrs ago, but can come up with $18MM of taxpayer money for Bruce Thompson for the Cavalier after we bankrolled his Hilton.
    And that's just the most recent example.

Quote Originally Posted by sandblasters View Post
    it realy hurts... yall know that i grantee our kids kids wont be able to surf in a lot of places that we do today.
    Bull. Water quality was WAY worse in the 70s and early 80s. when is the last time you heard of a beach closure due to pollution? They were a daily occurrence back then.

Images
    depends on where you live...our area is historically clean since the 1800s

"He's restoring a historical landmark".... TO MAKE MONEY! Grrr. Was chatting up with a waitress from Mahi's about that deal and how Thompson is bragging about how is basically getting paid to buy it.

Still the Cavalier has the best Halloween parties

Between water quality in our area and the Wendys I ate today... my life line just got shrunk down. I just checked the surf report for tomorrow.... sharknados. FRAAAAAK!

Images
    hey i have to do research to graduate this year. our school has a boat here in VB that we go and do water samples all the time. ill volunteer to do it once school gets back in session here

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    and because nobody would EVER resort to fudging data to make a political point or get people to open their wallets.
    Yes, Mercedes and BMW are guilty like all big businesses, just joking but true. So are non-profit groups. They all fudge the data to help the bottom dollar or to promote a cause. The only person you can trust is yourself. Maybe we should, including myself, get off our asses and put it to the test. As Brew said, maybe someone can explain how these tests are performed and what are the standards. It would be interesting to see what percentages of bacteria types are harmful. Then, we can get samples before every surf. Who am I kidding? I just want to surf, work, surf, get drunk, go to sleep, repeat process.

yeah man, funded by surfing restriction and parking tickets. But seriously, the place is beautiful, what / how will they spend $18000000 on it? Is the foundation sinking or something?