LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Did pro surfing ruin surfing?

I don't know if this has been a previous thread, but all this talk of pro surfing has surfaced this question in me to put out here.

my thoughts on this have been cemented long ago. just wondering what the peanut gallery thinks.

being that surfing is becoming a 13 billion dollar market by 2017, I would say no.

Even with that growth, you will still find the lineups empty in New Jersey during the winter months

Images
    I think the answer is yes and no.

I love watching contests and all the ASP guys going nuts on perfect waves but the reason I say yes is I just recently read an article in some mag (forgot the name) with a headline that said, "How to get a Surfer's body...without actually having to Surf". That among other "yes" reasons like more crowds, higher prices, Hurley/Nike, and airline bag fees skyrocketing.

I wouldn't say surfing is ruined, it has just changed...a whole lot.

Images
    ^^^^^WINTER!!! Totally forgot to mention that. Winter is my solitude. Summer sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by bassplayer View Post
    being that surfing is becoming a 13 billion dollar market by 2017, I would say no.

Even with that growth, you will still find the lineups empty in New Jersey during the winter months
    that's if the economy doesn't tank before then. but does everything have to revolve around money? money can bring out some bad things in people.

Images
    yes it has and hasnt. but who cares us true wave riders will find those tasty waves no matter what.

Images
    Monsanto ruined surfing. See the yootoob video.

Quote Originally Posted by superbust View Post
    ...an article in some mag (forgot the name) with a headline that said, "How to get a Surfer's body...without actually having to Surf".
    I take it that was a fitness related article.

Similar discussions have come up concerning the of the rise of martial arts tournaments and whether they are corrupting the true meaning, spirit, and "art" of martial arts. There are mixed opinions on that as well.
    As with sports and other activities, competition and the professional side of is just another aspect of surfing. Remember when US Olympic athletes had to be amateurs, not professional?

No, it was Surfer Mag tv show. It brought the dweebs out from the cracks and into the line up.

Quote Originally Posted by superbust View Post

I wouldn't say surfing is ruined, it has just changed...a whole lot.
    Yeah, it will never be quite the same again after these gratuitous conspiracy threads.