LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    the introduction of the funshape in the 90s hurt surfing in a big way along with cell phones. the first allowed the overweight middle aged set to get into surfing much easier and the latter allowed for more crowded lines ups.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    the introduction of the funshape in the 90s hurt surfing in a big way along with cell phones. the first allowed the overweight middle aged set to get into surfing much easier and the latter allowed for more crowded lines ups.
    And now we have to deal with the advent of the SUP, or floating couch.

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    And now we have to deal with the advent of the SUP, or floating couch.
    yup. if anything current pro surfing is neutral. it was WAY more popular in the 70s and 80s when comps were regularly on network tv. The difference then was if somebody wanted to surf, they got a shortboard and toughed it out. most quit and only the dedicated were left.

for NJ i would have to say summer time lifeguards hurt surfing the most. In the off season you can pick any peak you want, but for 3 months a year from 9-5 no matter if the water is freezing ass cold and no one in the water, as soon as 8:59am comes the chumps start blowing their whistles like I dont already know and then they paddle out on a foamboard to surf by themselves for the next 8 hours /rant #iwannabealifeguard

Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    Still ok, brah. The breaks can be packed with the posers and neoprene models that are found sitting on their board for hours, peering into the horizon they'll never brave. Consider them the audience of spectators of your session. Even if they're the drama queens that pretend to effort for waves they fake-takeoff for and just fall off the back of, they're not gonna steal your peaks. If they do legitimately try to do that, go for a takeoff same time as them, hold onto their wetty so they shot the pier with you like you was Bodhi skydiving with Utah on your back. They'll never try to snake you again.
    nice response. is english your first language? so creative with your weird pop culture reference. think you missed the point. you SUP right?
    Last edited by AtanticO; Jul 10, 2013 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AtanticO View Post
    nice response. is english your first language? so creative with your weird pop culture reference. think you missed the point. you SUP right?
    Know how I know you're new here?

I don't think that it ruined surfing, but I think it changed the perception of it. It's getting more attention, but how many people are talking about the best heat from today's match? Nobody. I watch the ASP tour for inspiration, insight and learning. Regarding the surf 'style' - it is what it is.

There will always be the posers, but ya can't let it get to you. As much as I hate getting a wave snaked by some 50 something kook on his Ron Jon log, I don't let it get to me. Instead, I use it as motivation; trick 'em to go on the first set wave, pick a different peak, change where I'm sitting, etc. Get good at sniffing 'em out, accept that they are who they are and move on. Maybe more people need to surf; maybe the world will be a better place? haha

Pro surfing never impacted the feeling I get from surfing, nor will it ever.

Quote Originally Posted by windswellsucks View Post
    for NJ i would have to say summer time lifeguards hurt surfing the most. In the off season you can pick any peak you want, but for 3 months a year from 9-5 no matter if the water is freezing ass cold and no one in the water, as soon as 8:59am comes the chumps start blowing their whistles like I dont already know and then they paddle out on a foamboard to surf by themselves for the next 8 hours /rant #iwannabealifeguard
    Funny,I was surfing the other morning and looked at my watch it said 9:00am .I looked back at the lifeguard stand and was waved in.

It's a fad .... funny how much the line up thins out when the cold water comes or the big swells. Last few storms I counted about 5-10 of us out. On the smaller clean days .... there's about 50 guys in the water... some just bobbing around.

It's like golf with Tiger Woods .... it'll pass

Sounds like everyone should watch Bustin Down the Door.

Those guys are the purveyors of Pro Surfing