LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KillaKiel View Post
    Sounds like everyone should watch Bustin Down the Door.

Those guys are the purveyors of Pro Surfing
    witihout reading anything more than the subject line I came here to say that exact thing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKkBYq7ZrtU

Quote Originally Posted by AtanticO View Post
    i'd argue that the internet ruined surfing more than pros and contests. surfline did it almost overnight. 15-20 years ago you could score sneaker swells when everyone thought it was flat.
    +1. Yes, now people are starting surfing in their 30s. These new 30 year old wannabe surfers and young groms will never understand how great it once was. I fell sorry for them. Catching a nice size swell by yourself in late spring doesn't happen anymore. They just check the forecasting sites and don't really understand buoy data at all.

Sounds like ya'll got some white people problems.

Nothing has ruined surfing. You can blame the pros, the internet, Lebron James, a few select forum members and cell phones all you want, but do you not get the same feeling when you're tearing down an open face? You can interpret surfing in many different ways, but the feeling is the same for all of us.

It's a beautiful Wednesday and everyone on here should paddle out even if the waves aren't up to your expectations. It might rekindle your childhood days when you went out every single day no matter what. Those days were the best, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Exit98Surf View Post
    I thought the commercial success of "Blue Crush" was when I started to notice a big difference in the lineup
    I have seen many female surfers shred since then. Lot's more than before the movie came out. They keep the vibe in the water light and fun. Except when they are catching all the peaks (I've seen it happen a few times at the Jupiter Inlet during a crowded session).

Images
    I haven't read all of these responses so if I repeat somebody's sh!t...........sorry.

Pro surfing didn't really ruin surfing. Like, that Fiji Pro was on NBC last weekend. I don't think many dudes from Arkansas are packing their bags to move to Deal, NJ.

There's been little phases that have brought in new recruits: The Beachboys 50's & 60's beach movie era; the late 1980's surfwear craze: and I don't know when to exactly date this but the yuppie, "I'll add surfing to my list of pastimes" craze.

Better wetsuits allowed the more fair-weathered surfers to extend their surfing season which is why Ocean City, NJ has people out at every northend jetty mid-winter when it's two foot.

What's wrong with surfing in the present day is kind of contradictional. There's a new Hobbyist mentallity out there oppossed to the hardcore ethos that once existed. Surfing is now viewed as a sport or hobby oppossed to a lifestlye. Like on here, I debated about this stuff and NOT ONE person backed me about surfing being a special pursuit that transcends any "sport" or leisure activity. You guys were throwing compliments to rock climbing videos.

But in many cases surfers are a lot nicer these days because they aren't obsessed losers whose only gig in life is their spot in the local surf hierarchy. Yes, surfers should be societal losers. Ha, if you guys think there are meanies out there now, you should go back in time.

Ya see, that would never have happened back in the day - dudes hailing rock climbing over surfing. Surfers, epsecially east coasters, were dedicated. They were stoked. Like, besides EmassSpicoli, you don't even really see the stoke that all novice surfers should have.

Dudes, you just tapped into and discovered the source, man. The greatest thing this world can offer. Man, this ain't golf or riding a friggin bike. Man, this is stepping off the contenent, into a vast unknown full of intangibles, and tapping into the power of mother nature. And you people are hyping rock climbing.

Surfing is not ruined per say. But the actors have changed and attitudes have changed. But maybe, surfing has been bettered. Now instead of spending time at the local jetty with all of the dudes who pencil in a surf between tee times, this will influence the core to get out there, to some distant shore to experience their own hardcore version of what surfing should be for them.

Ah, I guess I am a moron because surfing is a personal pursuit. As long as you percieve it as such, no outside influence can determine what surfing is and they can't ruin it. Jeez, and I just typed all of the above for no reason because surfing really can't be ruined. Spots can be ruined, but as long as that adventurous spirit exists inside one tow headed Californian kid and he has the desire to travel to distant shores........surfing will always be just fine. Maybe.........maybe not.

PB&J's "Ode to the source" is now his most prolific post ever. Which says a lot. That was some good food, brah.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    I haven't read all of these responses so if I repeat somebody's sh!t...........sorry.

Pro surfing didn't really ruin surfing. Like, that Fiji Pro was on NBC last weekend. I don't think many dudes from Arkansas are packing their bags to move to Deal, NJ.

There's been little phases that have brought in new recruits: The Beachboys 50's & 60's beach movie era; the late 1980's surfwear craze: and I don't know when to exactly date this but the yuppie, "I'll add surfing to my list of pastimes" craze.

Better wetsuits allowed the more fair-weathered surfers to extend their surfing season which is why Ocean City, NJ has people out at every northend jetty mid-winter when it's two foot.

What's wrong with surfing in the present day is kind of contradictional. There's a new Hobbyist mentallity out there oppossed to the hardcore ethos that once existed. Surfing is now viewed as a sport or hobby oppossed to a lifestlye. Like on here, I debated about this stuff and NOT ONE person backed me about surfing being a special pursuit that transcends any "sport" or leisure activity. You guys were throwing compliments to rock climbing videos.

But in many cases surfers are a lot nicer these days because they aren't obsessed losers whose only gig in life is their spot in the local surf hierarchy. Yes, surfers should be societal losers. Ha, if you guys think there are meanies out there now, you should go back in time.

Ya see, that would never have happened back in the day - dudes hailing rock climbing over surfing. Surfers, epsecially east coasters, were dedicated. They were stoked. Like, besides EmassSpicoli, you don't even really see the stoke that all novice surfers should have.

Dudes, you just tapped into and discovered the source, man. The greatest thing this world can offer. Man, this ain't golf or riding a friggin bike. Man, this is stepping off the contenent, into a vast unknown full of intangibles, and tapping into the power of mother nature. And you people are hyping rock climbing.

Surfing is not ruined per say. But the actors have changed and attitudes have changed. But maybe, surfing has been bettered. Now instead of spending time at the local jetty with all of the dudes who pencil in a surf between tee times, this will influence the core to get out there, to some distant shore to experience their own hardcore version of what surfing should be for them.

Ah, I guess I am a moron because surfing is a personal pursuit. As long as you percieve it as such, no outside influence can determine what surfing is and they can't ruin it. Jeez, and I just typed all of the above for no reason because surfing really can't be ruined. Spots can be ruined, but as long as that adventurous spirit exists inside one tow headed Californian kid and he has the desire to travel to distant shores........surfing will always be just fine. Maybe.........maybe not.
    well put.

should have asked what 'ruined' means.

Pollution and a dying ocean will most likely ruin surfing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalarast View Post
    ...a brand new WRV semi-gun, and another semi-gun WRV with minor dings which I also sold for $200.
    Why would a "seasonal" surfer purchase a board that is only going to be useful at most two or three times a year during some of the largest hurricane swells? IMHO, if you haven't surfed all year, choosing the absolutely largest day to go out is not exactly the best idea ... Did they even realize what a semi-gun was for, or did they purchase it because it was long, slender, and looked really cool?

Its the dopers that have ruined it...dude.