LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 75
  1. #11
    i'd argue that the internet ruined surfing more than pros and contests. surfline did it almost overnight. 15-20 years ago you could score sneaker swells when everyone thought it was flat.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Singer Island
    Posts
    1,113
    I think pro surfing is great for the sport, but it has fostered an idyllic narrative of what a functional board is to the normal every day Joe Surfer. I see many guys who are in good shape struggle in less than perfect conditions because they have too little volume. They all wish they were Dane or Kelly, but the truth is a harsh bog out on waist to chest to shoulder high wind chop/swell combo that we surf all the time. But it is awesome to see Teehoopoo and Cloudbreak and Pipeline shredded by the best of the best. Don't be a hater, be a congratulator! Kelly Rules!!!!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    89
    I don't think pro surfing ruined surfing except to kinda create two different types of surfers: Career/Money surfers and the soul surfer. There is also a third type that I guess was created which is and will always be the poser surfer.

    Your career/money surfer.. just like any "sport" or hobby is someone who is out to make money or a name or job from their skill. Be it homebrewing where you make beer to enjoy it or you make beer to one day have the idea of making a brewery or selling bottles. Is it wrong? No. But do they enjoy the tiny things about the hobby/sport that others who just do it because it makes them happy.

    Soul surfers... people who surf because they want or need to. No need of epic rides or waves for recognition; but more so to just enjoy anything dealing with surfing. Being out in the water and paddling even on flat days to just be part of it and really being a waterman is how I kinda link that.

    Posers.... Shop at surf shops buy clothing, gear, and overpriced boards and ride once. May have the nicest car at the beach with every surf sticker and advertisement on it... but never rides. Or complains that they only ride when its "23footers" so they never ride..... This all started with the classic Gidget.

    But does any of the above ruin surfing? Or does it make surfing more complicated and diverse for good or bad?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Monmouth County
    Posts
    1,151
    Whats up with the surf related question Arch?Is this some sort of a trap?

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by AtanticO View Post
    i'd argue that the internet ruined surfing more than pros and contests. surfline did it almost overnight. 15-20 years ago you could score sneaker swells when everyone thought it was flat.
    Still ok, brah. The breaks can be packed with the posers and neoprene models that are found sitting on their board for hours, peering into the horizon they'll never brave. Consider them the audience of spectators of your session. Even if they're the drama queens that pretend to effort for waves they fake-takeoff for and just fall off the back of, they're not gonna steal your peaks. If they do legitimately try to do that, go for a takeoff same time as them, hold onto their wetty so they shot the pier with you like you was Bodhi skydiving with Utah on your back. They'll never try to snake you again.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    Still ok, brah. The breaks can be packed with the posers and neoprene models that are found sitting on their board for hours, peering into the horizon they'll never brave. Consider them the audience of spectators of your session. Even if they're the drama queens that pretend to effort for waves they fake-takeoff for and just fall off the back of. They're not gonna steal your peaks. If they do legitimately try to do that, go for a takeoff same time as them, hold onto their wetty so they shot the pier with you like you was Bodhi with Utah on your back. They'll never try to snake you again.

    And when they sell their surfboards on craigslist dirt cheap when the go home or in the off season think of the savings

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalarast View Post
    And when they sell their surfboards on craigslist dirt cheap when the go home or in the off season think of the savings
    One step ahead of you son! Got the ill quiver on the steep discount.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    One step ahead of you son! Got the ill quiver on the steep discount.
    Got five boards last year for $350 off one family who thought surfing would be the sport for them. Two soft tops for my girls, a dinged out shortboard I repaired and sold for $350, a brand new WRV semi-gun, and another semi-gun WRV with minor dings which I also sold for $200.

    Love seasonal surfers

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Long branch
    Posts
    561
    Quote Originally Posted by oipaul View Post
    Monsanto ruined surfing. See the yootoob video.
    hahahahaha.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Long branch
    Posts
    561
    Quote Originally Posted by sisurfdogg View Post
    I think pro surfing is great for the sport, but it has fostered an idyllic narrative of what a functional board is to the normal every day Joe Surfer. I see many guys who are in good shape struggle in less than perfect conditions because they have too little volume. They all wish they were Dane or Kelly, but the truth is a harsh bog out on waist to chest to shoulder high wind chop/swell combo that we surf all the time. But it is awesome to see Teehoopoo and Cloudbreak and Pipeline shredded by the best of the best. Don't be a hater, be a congratulator! Kelly Rules!!!!
    I think we would still have Danes and Kellys regardless. people like Pat Curren and Greg Nole conquered the un-conquerable before the advent of pro surfing.