LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    So Cal culture = shortboard w/o a leash?

    While on vacation out in SD last week, I noticed many short boarders without leashes. Lots of <6ft. boards washing into shore only to see the rider out 50+yds coming in to get their board.

    I don't see this at all on the mid-atlantic area. Some nose riding longboarders and SUPs don't use leashes but never seen a shortboarder without one. What's up with this? Not like your need to walk out onto the nose of your 5'6'' Al Merrick and might trip on the leash.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,795
    Quote Originally Posted by RobfromFredneck View Post
    While on vacation out in SD last week, I noticed many short boarders without leashes. Lots of <6ft. boards washing into shore only to see the rider out 50+yds coming in to get their board.

    I don't see this at all on the mid-atlantic area. Some nose riding longboarders and SUPs don't use leashes but never seen a shortboarder without one. What's up with this? Not like your need to walk out onto the nose of your 5'6'' Al Merrick and might trip on the leash.
    Most Atlantic beaches I have visited have leash laws.

  3. #3
    Leashes = Drag. They can hurt performance in small waves. They also leave tan lines on your ankle.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Losttsol View Post
    They also leave tan lines on your ankle.
    Glad to hear that I'm not the only one here that is self-conscious about my leash tan lines....so embarrassing...

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Losttsol View Post
    They also leave tan lines on your ankle.
    CANNOT have that happen. You'd be so easily identifiable by subculture-profiling if you were to rob a bank with boardshorts and flops on. The VHS tape could be paused and they'd have you right there.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Berlin MD
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by RobfromFredneck View Post
    While on vacation out in SD last week, I noticed many short boarders without leashes. Lots of <6ft. boards washing into shore only to see the rider out 50+yds coming in to get their board.

    I don't see this at all on the mid-atlantic area.
    Really? I see lots of guys riding shortboards without leashes, when its less than chest high I'd say more than half are going cord free at some spots. Its got nothing to do with nose riding- it just feels good not to bother with one, and not using a leash reinforces a lot of good board control practices.

    Just be safe about it. and like the guy said above some places have leash rules at some breaks.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    3,496
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    Really? I see lots of guys riding shortboards without leashes, when its less than chest high I'd say more than half are going cord free at some spots. Its got nothing to do with nose riding- it just feels good not to bother with one, and not using a leash reinforces a lot of good board control practices.
    yup...i do this very frequently here in nj unless it's OH or crowded. my work schedule pretty much forces me to surf the dawn patrol or later evenings, so crowd generally isn't a factor, but i've started keeping a comp leash in my truck in case i get out early or want to sneak in a lunch sesh. never do wear one w/ my log, though.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,788
    Quote Originally Posted by RobfromFredneck View Post
    I don't see this at all on the mid-atlantic area. Some nose riding longboarders and SUPs don't use leashes but never seen a shortboarder without one.
    I find it irresponsible that someone on an SUP wouldn't have a leash on. If anything the short board with no leash is more understandable (but not acceptable), not the other way around. My SUP got away from me ONE TIME when the leash got RIPPED off my ankle in some chest - OH conditions, swimming after that thing with a paddle in hand and 4-6ft waves breaking on my head was not fun and I felt terrible for anybody on the inside that had to dodge my craft, thankfully another SUPer caught it for me and passed it back when I was close enough. Now I tend to only take out my 6'4" Coil or 8'1" McTavish in the bigger stuff and only take out the SUP in anything under HH and light crowd. Last time I went out on that thing in 6-8ft waves it was a real b*tch to deal with (need a smaller one). But to finish my point, you should always were a leash if there are others in the water by you, it's more for them than it is for you. If you're alone, then by all means do your thing, that's how I feel about it.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    I find it irresponsible that someone on an SUP wouldn't have a leash on. If anything the short board with no leash is more understandable (but not acceptable), not the other way around. My SUP got away from me ONE TIME when the leash got RIPPED off my ankle in some chest - OH conditions, swimming after that thing with a paddle in hand and 4-6ft waves breaking on my head was not fun and I felt terrible for anybody on the inside that had to dodge my craft, thankfully another SUPer caught it for me and passed it back when I was close enough. Now I tend to only take out my 6'4" Coil or 8'1" McTavish in the bigger stuff and only take out the SUP in anything under HH and light crowd. Last time I went out on that thing in 6-8ft waves it was a real b*tch to deal with (need a smaller one). But to finish my point, you should always were a leash if there are others in the water by you, it's more for them than it is for you. If you're alone, then by all means do your thing, that's how I feel about it.
    by federal law, SUP's are required to have PFD's (personal flotation devices)...life jackets. but it's something that never get enforced. i personally think they should also have strap-on dildos on their forehead's at all times.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by AtanticO View Post
    by federal law, SUP's are required to have PFD's (personal flotation devices)...life jackets. but it's something that never get enforced. i personally think they should also have strap-on dildos on their forehead's at all times.
    AO -

    Did we just become best friends. YUP!

    That didn't take you long, brah. Maybe a day, tops.