LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1

    So Cal culture = shortboard w/o a leash?

    While on vacation out in SD last week, I noticed many short boarders without leashes. Lots of <6ft. boards washing into shore only to see the rider out 50+yds coming in to get their board.

    I don't see this at all on the mid-atlantic area. Some nose riding longboarders and SUPs don't use leashes but never seen a shortboarder without one. What's up with this? Not like your need to walk out onto the nose of your 5'6'' Al Merrick and might trip on the leash.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,470
    Quote Originally Posted by RobfromFredneck View Post
    While on vacation out in SD last week, I noticed many short boarders without leashes. Lots of <6ft. boards washing into shore only to see the rider out 50+yds coming in to get their board.

    I don't see this at all on the mid-atlantic area. Some nose riding longboarders and SUPs don't use leashes but never seen a shortboarder without one. What's up with this? Not like your need to walk out onto the nose of your 5'6'' Al Merrick and might trip on the leash.
    Most Atlantic beaches I have visited have leash laws.

  3. #3
    Leashes = Drag. They can hurt performance in small waves. They also leave tan lines on your ankle.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Berlin MD
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by RobfromFredneck View Post
    While on vacation out in SD last week, I noticed many short boarders without leashes. Lots of <6ft. boards washing into shore only to see the rider out 50+yds coming in to get their board.

    I don't see this at all on the mid-atlantic area.
    Really? I see lots of guys riding shortboards without leashes, when its less than chest high I'd say more than half are going cord free at some spots. Its got nothing to do with nose riding- it just feels good not to bother with one, and not using a leash reinforces a lot of good board control practices.

    Just be safe about it. and like the guy said above some places have leash rules at some breaks.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,095
    Quote Originally Posted by RobfromFredneck View Post
    I don't see this at all on the mid-atlantic area. Some nose riding longboarders and SUPs don't use leashes but never seen a shortboarder without one.
    I find it irresponsible that someone on an SUP wouldn't have a leash on. If anything the short board with no leash is more understandable (but not acceptable), not the other way around. My SUP got away from me ONE TIME when the leash got RIPPED off my ankle in some chest - OH conditions, swimming after that thing with a paddle in hand and 4-6ft waves breaking on my head was not fun and I felt terrible for anybody on the inside that had to dodge my craft, thankfully another SUPer caught it for me and passed it back when I was close enough. Now I tend to only take out my 6'4" Coil or 8'1" McTavish in the bigger stuff and only take out the SUP in anything under HH and light crowd. Last time I went out on that thing in 6-8ft waves it was a real b*tch to deal with (need a smaller one). But to finish my point, you should always were a leash if there are others in the water by you, it's more for them than it is for you. If you're alone, then by all means do your thing, that's how I feel about it.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Losttsol View Post
    They also leave tan lines on your ankle.
    Glad to hear that I'm not the only one here that is self-conscious about my leash tan lines....so embarrassing...

  7. #7
    It's a method of regulating the break, no leash, take off too deep, have to swim to get your board.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hilton Head Island - OB, SD
    Posts
    4,024
    Images
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by SkegLegs View Post
    It's a method of regulating the break, no leash, take off too deep, have to swim to get your board.
    Yes, and having lived in San Diego for 10 years, a lot of spots have never "accepted" leash wearing. I.E. no surf and a few other spots. But generally, its great training. I would do it in the fall a lot. It makes you fully commit to what you are doing. Surfing changes when you realize you dont have your board if you dont land what you are doing... But a lot or competetive pro-ams etc, do it all the time for training purposes. It makes you go after it 100% every time. It also does create drag in smaller wave situations... Lastly, in OB especially and down on Sunset Cliffs, kelp and seaweed is all over the lineups all years long. I have been flying and come to a complete stop when that leash wraps up in the kelp.... Summer time == smaller waves, lots of kelp down south, so it is WAY easier to surf leashless there. And unlike MD and other places, there are no leash laws. San Diego actually protects waves and surfers. My home beach was surfing only, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. No swimming, no sponging. Surfing only... No leash laws... nothing.

  9. #9
    All said makes sense to me (except for the narcisitic tan line issue). I initially thought about the drag issue as a reason, but other more experienced surfers told me that really isn't true. But I guess it does have some impact on small days with a light shortboard. And the kelp/seaweed issue certainly does make some sense. I thought in So. Cal perhaps it was a tough-guy macho thing or something. Wear a leash and your a wimp or something like that.

    Yeah I saw a SUP guy get closed out on a head high day and lose his board without a leash and he really struggled inside to get back to shore and his board. I'd bet many inexperienced guys have ditched and lost their paddles to be able to swim in for their lives before.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    I find it irresponsible that someone on an SUP wouldn't have a leash on. If anything the short board with no leash is more understandable (but not acceptable), not the other way around. My SUP got away from me ONE TIME when the leash got RIPPED off my ankle in some chest - OH conditions, swimming after that thing with a paddle in hand and 4-6ft waves breaking on my head was not fun and I felt terrible for anybody on the inside that had to dodge my craft, thankfully another SUPer caught it for me and passed it back when I was close enough. Now I tend to only take out my 6'4" Coil or 8'1" McTavish in the bigger stuff and only take out the SUP in anything under HH and light crowd. Last time I went out on that thing in 6-8ft waves it was a real b*tch to deal with (need a smaller one). But to finish my point, you should always were a leash if there are others in the water by you, it's more for them than it is for you. If you're alone, then by all means do your thing, that's how I feel about it.
    by federal law, SUP's are required to have PFD's (personal flotation devices)...life jackets. but it's something that never get enforced. i personally think they should also have strap-on dildos on their forehead's at all times.