LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Losttsol View Post
    They also leave tan lines on your ankle.
    CANNOT have that happen. You'd be so easily identifiable by subculture-profiling if you were to rob a bank with boardshorts and flops on. The VHS tape could be paused and they'd have you right there.

Quote Originally Posted by AtanticO View Post
    by federal law, SUP's are required to have PFD's (personal flotation devices)...life jackets. but it's something that never get enforced. i personally think they should also have strap-on dildos on their forehead's at all times.
    AO -

Did we just become best friends. YUP!

That didn't take you long, brah. Maybe a day, tops.

Quote Originally Posted by RobfromFredneck View Post
    Yeah I saw a SUP guy get closed out on a head high day and lose his board without a leash and he really struggled inside to get back to shore and his board.
    Obvi. You ever seen a SUP guy that could swim? Why do you think they're on the dry-top raft with the mechanical advantage of the paddle? May as well have a Big Mac dispenser on the top of that thing in the event of flatness on the ocean.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobfromFredneck View Post
    All said makes sense to me (except for the narcisitic tan line issue). I initially thought about the drag issue as a reason, but other more experienced surfers told me that really isn't true. But I guess it does have some impact on small days with a light shortboard. And the kelp/seaweed issue certainly does make some sense. I thought in So. Cal perhaps it was a tough-guy macho thing or something. Wear a leash and your a wimp or something like that.

Yeah I saw a SUP guy get closed out on a head high day and lose his board without a leash and he really struggled inside to get back to shore and his board. I'd bet many inexperienced guys have ditched and lost their paddles to be able to swim in for their lives before.
    With everything I said, I will add this. It most definately, absolutely has MOST to to initially with a tough guy factor. Ill tell you straight up thats why I did it years ago at first. Cause I wanted to go out with the boys on a big day, a half mile out, even on the cliffs where if you lose your board, it will bash against rocks until you get there... I wanted to show them some ol' macho sh**. It is what it is. You make it through a big day with no leash, getting tons of waves, it certainly makes you balls feel much bigger than they probably are... If you read a lot of the SPOT CHECK info on any website, look specifically at Sunset Cliffs, and even on wannasurf and stuff like that, it specifically says, and if you want to fit in the with locals and get a spot in the lineup, don't wear a leash.... its been going on for years, but yeah, its basically letting off a signal as you paddle out that you are about to take a legitimate spot in the lineup whether people like it or not... But its funny, cause the same thing will happen if you paddle out with no leash and you suck, as it goes when you walk down the beach with a used board with sponsor stickers all over it. That is a BOLD statement, and you better be able to back it up, otherwise you are going to have a pretty lame day at the beach...

But yeah, all in all its some ol' tough guy sh**. But leash dragging is a big factor. Its really is no matter the size of the day, and the kelp thing is INSANE. I mean, Ive felt like I was going to drown before getting caught up in the kelp forest because of my leash... It does happen... Not to mention on bigger days, there is nothing worse than getting up on a nice fast as$ big face, and stepping right on your leash, or getting it tangled up between your toes... I can't tell you how many times i have had to pull the old karate kid kic move where you stand on one foot for a split second to get your leash out from under you... it must be pretty funny from the beach. My wife has asked me a couple times, WTF was that you were doing on one leg?

Images
    On a side note. I was just complaining about crap leashes that break all the time. I was surfing in front of my restaurant two weeks ago. It was, no joke, like ankle - knee high. I had my longest board out, which is about 8'0. I hopped off a tiny wave and the leash blew out on me. I mean, there was barely enough power to even push the board to begin with. That P.O.S. snapped right in half... Damn leashes. But since then, I have been surfing every day out there with no leash. Crowds everywhere, but no one has said anything to me. Last week, we had a 4 foot day, it was SUPER drifty, wind chopped all to hell. Guards were out rescuing kids. I was the only person out surfing, but I made it about 2 hours, and about 25-30 waves and never lost the board once. I popped over the back once and had to swim over to it... but I for sure thought I would be taking a few swims into the beach but it never happened. Fun day. Ended up 2 miles north when I got out of the water though.

Quote Originally Posted by AtanticO View Post
    by federal law, SUP's are required to have PFD's (personal flotation devices)...life jackets. but it's something that never get enforced. i personally think they should also have strap-on dildos on their forehead's at all times.
    this is only true when the SUP is being operated OUTSIDE of the surf zone/line up. then & only then is a SUP considered a vessel in the same class as a kayak or canoe.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    Really? I see lots of guys riding shortboards without leashes, when its less than chest high I'd say more than half are going cord free at some spots. Its got nothing to do with nose riding- it just feels good not to bother with one, and not using a leash reinforces a lot of good board control practices.
    yup...i do this very frequently here in nj unless it's OH or crowded. my work schedule pretty much forces me to surf the dawn patrol or later evenings, so crowd generally isn't a factor, but i've started keeping a comp leash in my truck in case i get out early or want to sneak in a lunch sesh. never do wear one w/ my log, though.

Zach's right about all of that. I think surfing isn't so much a cultural thing out here as it is a religion.

It's not too complicated for me though. I don't wear a leash because it just feels good.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Jul 11, 2013 at 04:53 AM.

I still don't understand the hatred of leashes. It reminds me of the people who hate seat belts in cars. However, with a leash you are protecting others around you. I guess if you are the only one out, it is ok. But that sounds pretty rare, from all the b1tching about crowds on here.

9 out of 10 times the leashless person is riding some retro ****-turd that is only capable of trimming and floating across foamy sections, you shouldn't be falling....and the final 1 out of 10 is hucking throw away revos on the close-out.