LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 84
  1. #61
    the scum of the earth would be a SUP wave jet with webbed paddle. but on a serious note has anyone used webbed gloves for swim training? is there really an outsized risk to put too much strain on your shoulder or cuff?

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Turtle Island
    Posts
    4,078
    Images
    6
    I don't have anything but anecdotal evidence but I wouldn't use them for that reason.

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    I don't have anything but anecdotal evidence but I wouldn't use them for that reason.
    That, and they look Über geigh.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Singer Island
    Posts
    1,244
    Quote Originally Posted by glassyandsunny View Post
    the scum of the earth would be a SUP wave jet with webbed paddle. but on a serious note has anyone used webbed gloves for swim training? is there really an outsized risk to put too much strain on your shoulder or cuff?
    In the 80's, Speedo made a pair that you could even slide little weights into. It was OK to train with via swimming, but proper technique and putting in the time always trumps artificial shortcuts. I suggest a simple battery powered trolling motor, or maybe epoxy a walker to your log? That would really look stylish with the fancy gloves.

    In swim training, try to power your back pull with your hips, instead of just doing an arm stroke. It's just like delivering a punch from the hips...much more force generated, and less strain on your poor shoulders. You rotate your entire body to generate forward motion. Unfortunately it doesn't translate too well paddling a surfboard, unless you like going rail to rail as you paddle. Try paddling on flat days with a towel tied to your leash for resistance. Do that regularly, and you won't need no stinkin gloves.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Charleston
    Posts
    1,234
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by glassyandsunny View Post
    the scum of the earth would be a SUP wave jet with webbed paddle. but on a serious note has anyone used webbed gloves for swim training? is there really an outsized risk to put too much strain on your shoulder or cuff?
    I used to swim year round and we had these pieces of plastic held to your hand kinda like a handplane. You'd use them with small leg floats so you didn't have to kick and you'd isolate and strengthen your arms. It wasn't an everyday thing and the real strengthening happened from the multiple miles we'd swim each day.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Charleston ,sc
    Posts
    152
    There are two equally fit individuals. One is a kite surfer who can pull on the kite and raise his body up. The other is a person with an umbrella pumping it up and down. No matter how hard and fast the person holding the umbrella pumps he cannot raise his body up like the kite surfer do to the lack of surface area in the umbrella.

    The assumption that rotator cuff damage will or might occure while using these gloves is a tall order. Swimming with them is still largely a mild form of resistance training. A properly warmed up surfer shouldn't tear a rotator cuff. Think of the push-ups, heavy bench presses, lat pull downs, or weighted lateral arm raises we do at the gym without inflicting injury on ourselves.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,084
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
    There are two equally fit individuals. One is a kite surfer who can pull on the kite and raise his body up. The other is a person with an umbrella pumping it up and down. No matter how hard and fast the person holding the umbrella pumps he cannot raise his body up like the kite surfer do to the lack of surface area in the umbrella.

    The assumption that rotator cuff damage will or might occure while using these gloves is a tall order. Swimming with them is still largely a mild form of resistance training. A properly warmed up surfer shouldn't tear a rotator cuff. Think of the push-ups, heavy bench presses, lat pull downs, or weighted lateral arm raises we do at the gym without inflicting injury on ourselves.
    Nobody is going to stop you from going out there and giving everybody something to laugh at. Just do it man, take pics, use a go-pro, and report back. After you try this several times, tell us how your shoulders are feeling. When you blow out your rotator cuff, labrum, and cartilage, don't go crying to Roy... Daddy won't want to hear it. Cause we done told you, now go play in traffic.
    Last edited by DawnPatrolSUP; Jul 11, 2013 at 08:45 PM.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Charleston ,sc
    Posts
    152
    I will try them. And if I blow a rotator cuff it will be from a shark yanking off my arm not from a few more square inches of surface area in the glove. Thanks for the rotator cuff advice but I think your being a bit of a "mother" on this one.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,084
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
    if I blow a rotator cuff it will be from a shark yanking off my arm.
    One can only hope

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Charleston ,sc
    Posts
    152
    I thought you cared about me? You didn't even consider my feelings with that comment.