LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hey Gaffer, no must be a different gal as I dont think this one has been in any magazine spreads (that I know of haha)

Man I need to get a board and soon! Looks like there'll be decent waves in Texas all week and it sucks having to plan my days around the opening and closing times of surf shops, especially since I'm a commuter . Do you think 9'6 will be long enough or should I go 10+ foot? I'd like to be able to surf often even when waves are small so I'm thinking bigger is better? I've been searching craigslist but used longboards are still fairly expensive. I'd like to get a beater for cheap b/c I dont yet know enough about what I want/what I need. But beater longboards seem hard to come by!

Quote Originally Posted by PearlingItHard View Post
    Hey Gaffer, no must be a different gal as I dont think this one has been in any magazine spreads (that I know of haha)

Man I need to get a board and soon! Looks like there'll be decent waves in Texas all week and it sucks having to plan my days around the opening and closing times of surf shops, especially since I'm a commuter . Do you think 9'6 will be long enough or should I go 10+ foot? I'd like to be able to surf often even when waves are small so I'm thinking bigger is better? I've been searching craigslist but used longboards are still fairly expensive. I'd like to get a beater for cheap b/c I dont yet know enough about what I want/what I need. But beater longboards seem hard to come by!
    I'm from San Antonio and have a 10' walden GSI epoxy board that I have been contemplating selling.

Images
    I have a 9' single fin and it does great in Galveston. I usually let the guys ride it that haven't surfed much before. I found it on the sea wall for 100 bucks. It's a lot of fun, especially when it's too small for a short board.

I have a used 9' 6" here in Surfside for sale. $300

Images
    I rented 9'0 and 9'6 boards from Breakers and Kook's in Surfside when I started out surfing, and got all the bruising and chaffing as Pearling descibed. However my neighbors kid had a 7'6 NSP that he let me borrow. And I surfed that board till I stood up and then made my first bottom turn. I acquired most of the basic surfing skills on that board. I am 5'11 and 170 lbs. So you dont have to learn to surf on a longboard when starting out, I didn't. Surfing and board selection is the ongoing conversation that surfers get to discuss. "You should try this board!" As surfers we will always feel like a different board will work better, but the board we learn to surf on will always play role in how we surf and what type of rider we are. Because groms learn to surf on shortboards usually, and adults that pick up the sport usually start out on longboards.