LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

newcomer looking for longboard advice

Hi all
    I'm a short time lurker just wanted to say hello. I recently took up surfing and have gotten some lessons and done some board rentals this summer. I don't yet have a board but would like to get one soon. I'm tall and thin (6 foot and 150 lbs) and not yet sure what type of longboard I need. Most of my surfing has been done on 9, 11 or 12 foot softops but they chafe my legs pretty damn bad when sitting up on them. And I've rented some 11 foot hard tops that didnt chafe but left me bruised to hell (lower ribs and front hip bones) Hopefully I'll toughen up or learn to lay on the board w/o getting so beat up.
    I've been told to get a flat rockered, long, thick, wide board for Texas waves. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks

2. yo Pearling (like the name,)

yeah i would say the advice you got was pretty solid. i feel like you're going to want a 9' base model longboard of some sort. you specifically asked about a longboard, so that's why i'm saying something that's at least 9'. to me, most people on here would tell you that a true longboard would start at a minimum of 9', but also as long as it's 3 feet taller than you are, i guess technically that's a longboard too. to me (somewhat of a purist) it's got to be 9' at a minimum.

yeah, your time spent on the soft-tops was well spent. you realized you enjoyed doing it enough that you want to progress to the next step. awesome! well, go find you one that's fiberglass or even epoxy. it's been hurting your ribs because they're not used to having the pressure on them like that; that's normal for all of us. after a few sessions in a week's time, you probably won't feel that pain any longer.

maybe you should be looking for something used/second hand, that way it will save you a little money off the top & you won't feel like you have to baby the thing because it's brand new. a spanking brand-new one might run you anywhere from $550 on upwards of a grand! whoa. you can probably find a solid used one for $300-$650... something like that. maybe ebay, craigslist; but i would start at your local shop in town, see what they have to say.

STAY AWAY FROM ANYTHING THAT SAYS "BIC" ON IT. for the love of god. you shouldn't have much trouble finding something that's American made.

best wishes to you! see what some other folks have got to say about it....

Go with what u were told. 9'6" or so. I wouldn't go more than 10' tho.

Fact: only 3% who take lessons on soft tops - and get to their feet - actually keep going to become a surfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gfootr View Post
    Go with what u were told. 9'6" or so. I wouldn't go more than 10' tho.

Fact: only 3% who take lessons on soft tops - and get to their feet - actually keep going to become a surfer.
    69% of all statistic are made up. Go for it bro, but keep it around 9'6" or 9'. You sound in decent shape and even though the waves you plan to ride are usually small, you want something you can turn and trim instead of a big ole log. Get a single fin with a fin box, and experiment with different fins and fin placements for different conditions. You can get a 3 fin longboard once you learn the basics. The rib stuff will go away with time spent. Get an old used one and find a bro to help you fix the dings. Just make sure it has a bit of a nose and tail rocker so it is forgiving, and soft rails in the middle and thin rails in the back.

You surf in Corpus?

Hey guys! Thanks for the great info, I really appreciate the advice. I was thinking I'd need at least a 10 foot long board but maybe not?

So far I've done most surfing at Galveston near 43rd street jetty b/c I have a woman there. But the waves have sucked recently. I spend alotta time in Corpus / Port A fishing but never tried surfing there. I think I'm gonna try packary channel on Tues/Wed b/c surf forecast looks good. Here are some 4th of July surf pics. If you see me on the gulf coast feel free to say hi....or drop in on me haha

The GF on left, badass big wave rider Jamilah Star on right. At Chuns on north shore

In front of Canoes break @ Waikiki

At Chuns

Sharks Cove

Turtle Bay

Quote Originally Posted by sisurfdogg View Post
    69% of all statistic are made up.
    Half of that is 100% true. I totally agree with most of that, at least some of the time.

I wouldn't go to JP Luby unless u want to just drink. Go up to Whitecap, hang a left on Winward and go out to the Seawall. Just park in the parking lot. It's about 5-600 yds S of of the S Jetty at Pack. Usually there's just a little more room to spread out down there. Much better for new surfers. There's really only two little, tiny spots on the N side that break at all and the guys and gals who surf them and Bob Hall put in a lot of time.

You might want to think about a funboard instead of a longboard. A good duck dive's a nice thing to have on the 3rd Coast and duck diving a longboard is a bit of a trick.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Jul 12, 2013 at 05:06 AM.

Thanks for the info Gaffer! Yes I definitely want to spread out and stay away from everybody until I learn how to turn a little faster.

Quote Originally Posted by PearlingItHard View Post
    Thanks for the info Gaffer! Yes I definitely want to spread out and stay away from everybody until I learn how to turn a little faster.
    That girl in the photos, she wasn't in High Times a couple of years ago was she? Your girlfriend I believe, not J. Starr. I ask just cause my little sister went to school with some girl who looked just like her who was. Got to fly out to Jamaica or something. Lived in CC at the time, but was from Gtown.

I just thought, "you never know, it's a small world."
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Jul 12, 2013 at 05:28 AM.