LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    In order for us to accurately give advice on things such as board length, thickness, foot placement, etc. you really need to post pictures of yourself, from multiple angles.

We all fervently hope that bc's nephew never actually posts pics of himself on here.

Get an 8ft Wavestorm. $99 bucks at Walmart. Start here, there's lots to learn. Once you're paddling into waves and catching them. Then get a real surfboard.

The Wavestorm can then be used to teach your friends. Plus they don't hurt when you get hit with them.

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    We all fervently hope that bc's nephew never actually posts pics of himself on here.
    I'll post video of myself benching shortly

If you are fairly athletic, try a fun shape around 7'6" to 8", and FCS makes special fins that are kinda soft edged for beginners, but are still stiff enough to hold. This way you won't cut up your feet and legs. My daughter had them on her first board. If it is not a soft top, get a nose guard too. A fun shape will be a lot easier to carry down to the beach than a longboard, and will be plenty stable and float you well and will catch lots of waves as light as you are. Try going to a surf camp for a day or two if you have the $, they will give you lots of tips on safety as well as the basics. If not, just learn away from a crowd, plan on falling alot, and after a bit you will be catching and riding waves of pure joy! (And learn how to throw good stink eye at any creeps). Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    Good word with "fervent".

How many bars of wax you want to bet that BCN was completely serious in his plea for photos? C'mon brah, it's Aloha Friday, the freakin weekend, summah kid. Girls everywhere want to get down. Even band geeks in your league. We know from pop culture they can be some of the weirdest out there.

Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    Good word with "fervent".

How many bars of wax you want to bet that BCN was completely serious in his plea for photos? C'mon brah, it's Aloha Friday, the freakin weekend, summah kid. Girls everywhere want to get down. Even band geeks in your league. We know from pop culture they can be some of the weirdest out there.
    I'd bet ten bars of wax that he was serious

Have you taken any lessons either from a friend of from a local shop? I'm new to the sport too and found that to be a really good way to get comfortable with the basics of etiquette, where to go to not get in the way of the good surfers, etc.

I've been wakeboarding for 15 years so this spring I started with a 7'6" fun shape, which was great in waist high and above. Kinda short for a beginner, but the wakeboarding definitely helped with the balance and feel of turning, etc. Any water sports experience helps. The hard part was catching waves...it was really frustrating at times. Your position relative to where the waves are breaking is CRITICAL. Learned that by watching the good surfers...another good thing to do when you're out there.

For the summer I grabbed a cheap 10'2" longboard through a friend of a friend. Nothing special, but as a beginner I'm convinced the characteristics of the board, aside from volume, has little to do with your ability to learn. I highly recommend you get a used longboard between 8-9'. Catching waves as a newbie is not easy...the bigger the board the easier it is to catch and ride, especially in the summer. Buying used boards is great because you can usually resell them for very close to what you paid.

You'll have good days and bad days. Stick with it and the good days will become far more frequent.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cosby's nephew View Post
    I'd bet ten bars of wax that he was serious
    Tina that's weak! We both know your druncle will finance at least ten wax museums for your wagering pleasure. Don't short change us.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cosby's nephew View Post
    In order for us to accurately give advice on things such as board length, thickness, foot placement, etc. you really need to post pictures of yourself, from multiple angles.
    Wow dude, risky request. At 5ft, 100#'s she's either quite dainty, or in middle school.