LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 40

Thread: fin choices

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    3,504
    Quote Originally Posted by AtanticO View Post
    lokbox is a good system. the install sucks though.
    bull****. for a competent glasser, the install for futures, fcs, or lok-box should be just as easy. anyone who says otherwise is putting you on.
    interesting that no one has brought up fcs fusions...not "welded" to the deck like the plugs, so no push through issues. they allow a bit of adjustability, allow a bit more tail flex than futures, but less than fcs plugs, & are installed pre-glassing (like futures & lok-box), which is the strongest possible fix box install method.

  2. #12
    I've got CI lok-box on the retro fish. You guys think I should glass them in? I pamper that board and aim to keep it pristine so it's not like I'm beating the bag out of it.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    bull****. for a competent glasser, the install for futures, fcs, or lok-box should be just as easy. anyone who says otherwise is putting you on.
    interesting that no one has brought up fcs fusions...not "welded" to the deck like the plugs, so no push through issues. they allow a bit of adjustability, allow a bit more tail flex than futures, but less than fcs plugs, & are installed pre-glassing (like futures & lok-box), which is the strongest possible fix box install method.
    yeah yeah... most fin guys, or whoever is setting them, perfer futures. don't have to think about sh!t. no vaccum jigs, dummy jigs, playdoh or tape. it always cracked me up that lokbox suggests using a vaccaum jig for installs. kinda dramatic. nobody really does that though. sh!t, all fin systems are better (as in less time consuming, cleaner) then glass-ons. your packing the bong before you know it. barely need to put your beer down. so actually, i like them all.

    i agree lokbox is a good system. i wish they caught on a little more. the whole fcs vs futures tail flex thing is so minimal it's barely worth mentioning. maybe wqs/wct guys riding single 4oz decks feel it, but most normal people don't notice. i remember a fcs rep going on and on about it once to the point where dudes were laughing in his face. fcs had some total kooks for reps a while back, but i bet/hope that's changed. yes, fusions are good too. im glad fcs put them out. how fun was setting x2 fcs plugs in EPS? get the ice ready
    Last edited by AtanticO; Jul 14, 2013 at 12:14 PM.

  4. #14
    FCS Fusions can't be beat. FCS X-2 is super strong as well when installed correctly. Most glass shops cut corners and don't install them correctly.
    Both FCS systems are approximately 22% stronger than futures boxes per this strength test video. We see this futures box failure weekly at the shop for ding repairs.

    ~Brian
    www.greenlightsurfsupply.com
    Shape Your Surfing Experience

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    FCS Fusions can't be beat. FCS X-2 is super strong as well when installed correctly. Most glass shops cut corners and don't install them correctly.
    Both FCS systems are approximately 22% stronger than futures boxes per this strength test video. We see this futures box failure weekly at the shop for ding repairs.

    ~Brian
    www.greenlightsurfsupply.com
    Shape Your Surfing Experience
    how shocking. a video put out by FCS says FCS is the best. by someone who carries the full range of FCS products and barely anything from futures expect only the older version boxes. too easy to rig that video setup. it's made for marketing purposes. just sayin
    Last edited by AtanticO; Jul 14, 2013 at 06:44 PM.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crystal Coast,N.C.
    Posts
    404
    Images
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Both work just fine, i'd ask your shaper what he intends to use on the fin box. Mine came with the 5-Fusion FCS convertible because that's what works best with the technology used on Coils, and I love it, can go tri or quad. I picked up some FCS TC Aqualines that are money. You can't go wrong with either though, so I'd just talk to your shaper and see what he thinks works best with his boards.
    I hate to get off task but have to agree with the TCs. I run them in a quad sting fish and love em.....Tried them in a standard short and but they had to much cant and slowed it down. For a quad fish id use them everytime. As far as futures vs fcs its a toss up really. Futures has more fin options for there brand but many companies, kinetic racing, true ames. arcade etc.....all make fins that are fcs compatible. If you change to the new fcs plugs you will still be able to use old fins with them as well.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Promontorium Tremendum
    Posts
    1,074
    Images
    1
    when my 3-d printer goes online, i will crank out my own fcs fins at will.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Monmouth Beach, NJ
    Posts
    2,580
    FCS Fusions are my top choice right now. Very simple install. Super light. Super strong. A no-brainer for the sander (improper sanding is almost as bad as improper installation). And FCS fins are all solid designs and construction. The only thing I don't like about them is the two screw system. One screw designs are better, IMO.

  9. #19
    I always wondered why futures put the screw in the front. Seems more aerodynamic to be behind the fin, but maybe the rake of some fins would get in the way of your hand while screwing (?)

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbaby View Post
    I always wondered why futures put the screw in the front. Seems more aerodynamic to be behind the fin, but maybe the rake of some fins would get in the way of your hand while screwing (?)
    futures putting the screw in front makes perfect sense because the trailing edge of the fin is always in the same spot on the box. gotta hinge in there. futures box is roughly 4.5" but some fins have smaller or bigger bases. AM2's for example, at 4.75, are kinda run up above the screw whole, where as f4's at 4.25 (i think) are shy of it.

    besides, water runs over more then you'd think. i.e., empty fin boxes trip people out and they think it's gonna affect something. reality is the water just passes over with little trouble.

Tags for this Thread