LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    mfitz was crying about Andy for some reason, so I gave him a mcgangbang to cheer him up. Now that he has had time to console, I think the new one is appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    Attaching the tail block... do you dow into the foam or just glue and laminate it in place?
    Is there special glue for foam to wood or will elmers shop glue do it?
    LBCrew... I like your idea of a concave in the top side in the tail. I am considering adding a "feature" in the rail at about 1/3 or 1/4 up from the tail to encourage the water to flow over the tail. Ever gone about it that way?
    I rough shape the tail the way I want it, then cut it off and block it smooth, straight, and square with a hard block. Then I use the piece I cut off to size up and shape the wood block, getting it finish-shaped, and making it slightly smaller than the cut-off end. To glue it on, I mask the foam edge with tape to keep it clean, mix a hot batch of lam resin, paint both surfaces, stick it on, and tape it to secure it until it kicks. Be sure to clean off any drips... there will be drips. Once it kicks to the B stage, peel off your tape, razor away any excess resin, and let it fully cure. Then, shape down your foam to the finished block. That's the trick to getting a perfect fit. Forget glue, etc.... hot lam resin (not crazy hot... hotcoat hot).

I never tried a feature to facilitate water flow onto the deck. Maybe too much drag??? I just use a nice, soft rail shape of adequate volume. Remember... bigger rail volume means more "suction" force as water wraps the rail. Look up Coanda Effect for some insight.

Board looks good so far. How wide is it ?
    Props for taking on a triple stringer w/tail block as a first LB shape, thats a lot of extra stuff to deal with. Post the final shape when you are done.
    Do you have side lights in your garage or just the overhead?
    You gonna glass it yourself or take it to a shop?
    Jim

That's looking like a sweet start. What blank is is that?

Quote Originally Posted by JTS View Post
    Board looks good so far. How wide is it ?
    Props for taking on a triple stringer w/tail block as a first LB shape, thats a lot of extra stuff to deal with. Post the final shape when you are done.
    Do you have side lights in your garage or just the overhead?
    You gonna glass it yourself or take it to a shop?
    Jim
    Jim,

Thanks! It's currently 23 1/2" wide, kind of a pig, but I left some room because I havn't shaped the rails yet. Will probably turn out 23ish. The stringers are kind of a pain and a blessing, It's been really easy to measure everything out and eyeball symmetry in the shape but it sucks mowing through them 1/48" at a time.

Just overhead lights, but there is a deck outside that overhead door so we can always open it or even drag it outside for more light. Gotta love summer solstice.

Glassing... anyone in VB want to glass a couple boards? I have a nice shortboard ready for glass as well. If no takers I'll end up at the old seasoned factory again. They do good work but it's pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyPedro View Post
    That's looking like a sweet start. What blank is is that?
    Thanks pedro, It's a US Blanks 9'8 Y. I got it through WRV / US Fiberglass.

Look'n good, Lee!

Doneski. 9'4 x 23.5" x 2.75" Ready for glass and a fin box.long board 1 010.jpg

Damn right, Lee! She looks like she's gonna be a fun one.

Nice three-stick, brother. They always look so classy with the wood tail blocks, too. What did you decide for glassing, and what are their prices? Just curious...

Oh... and I got the exact same fan in my garage... the only thing that's kept me plugging away during that nasty heat wave.

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    Nice three-stick, brother. They always look so classy with the wood tail blocks, too. What did you decide for glassing, and what are their prices? Just curious...

Oh... and I got the exact same fan in my garage... the only thing that's kept me plugging away during that nasty heat wave.
    LB, thanks again for your advice, I followed it exactly regarding bottom and deck concave and the board looks sweet.

I'm out of town on buidness so I arranged for my old man to drop it off with Austin in Virginia beach. Either the seasoned/ fibercraft factory has shut down or changed their number so I wasn't able to get ahold of them. In the words of my old man, "if it turns out anything like the boards in Austin's shop, this will be one fine stick". I look forward to seeing the result, with great confidence. I don't know about pricing yet, but he suggested throwing a lot of glass at it to make it strong. I'm all for it.

That fan, heck yes, we just point that thing out the garage door and good bye hot air! Point at yourself and you will look like pauly-D. We also have a big turbine exhaust fan in the ceiling getting all of the crap out of the air.