LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Images

know how I know its summer

Because there are no waves over one foot coming for the next week. don't ya love summer.

Images
    not summer yet. we just had one of the best swells of the year last week.

Hopefully we'll get 1 or 2 more good swells before the summer duldrums kick in.

Images

Thumbs up

last june we had a huge one so here's hoping so

i went out today and it was waist high waves clean.

Images
    Troipical Storm Barry, passing through at the very beginning of june last year....if i'm not mistaken, i recal some fairly insane overhead barrels going around for everyone to get a taste of

Images
    June can be decent, but generally speaking we dont see very large swells, unless we see the atypical early season tropical storm.

Images
    Had to dig up an old thread for this to make sense, cause I am usually not on the band wagon for complaining about summer and crowds.

But yesterday, I was actually very entertained in a light hearted way with a few things I witnessed.

First of all, the local shaper and the grom-pro crew was out teaching a surf camp. I was over talking to one of the guys. He was pushing this kid, probably 11 or 12. He was getting pushed into waves on a foamie. At a certain point, he paddles back out while I am talking to this guy and he says "Man, i thought surfing would be hard. This is SOOOO easy"... About 5 of us chuckled. I just looked back and smiled. Then the guys says, "Kid, you aren't surfing at all. We are pushing you into waves".... Fantastic.

Then about 5 minutes later, a pack of tourists, who were not surfing, but just paddling around on SUPs all paddle right around me, they literally were inches away because they couldn't steer. As they passed, they sprayed water all over me from their paddles. Funny. Awesome...

Then this poor guy. Had to be at least 18 years old. God bless him. He had apparently rented an SUP. He was out in the water, trying to just stand up and balance on the thing. I have probably never seen anything that entertaining in the water. I watched this guy tip over and fall about every way imaginable. He hit head first on the board at one point. The back flop. The head first dive. The pencil. He almost got upright at one point, holding the paddle straight out with his other arm out trying to balance. Almost got there and flipped off sideways. At one point, his SUP even tomb stoned. Didn't think that was possible.

But man, I probably missed 3-4 set waves just enjoying the show. It was classic. Still, good vibes in the water. Everyone meant well. Even the little kids boogying on the inside, they cheer you on as you surf right at them, but they don't move... Ohh well, they "meant well" and that is all that counts.

Just another summer day. Sometimes, instead of letting it frustrate you, turn lemons into lemonade and just drink it all in.

I would almost pay the rental fee of an SUP and just give it to a pack of kids from Kentucky and just sit there and watch the show. It's amazing stuff.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Had to dig up an old thread for this to make sense, cause I am usually not on the band wagon for complaining about summer and crowds.

But yesterday, I was actually very entertained in a light hearted way with a few things I witnessed.

First of all, the local shaper and the grom-pro crew was out teaching a surf camp. I was over talking to one of the guys. He was pushing this kid, probably 11 or 12. He was getting pushed into waves on a foamie. At a certain point, he paddles back out while I am talking to this guy and he says "Man, i thought surfing would be hard. This is SOOOO easy"... About 5 of us chuckled. I just looked back and smiled. Then the guys says, "Kid, you aren't surfing at all. We are pushing you into waves".... Fantastic.

Then about 5 minutes later, a pack of tourists, who were not surfing, but just paddling around on SUPs all paddle right around me, they literally were inches away because they couldn't steer. As they passed, they sprayed water all over me from their paddles. Funny. Awesome...

Then this poor guy. Had to be at least 18 years old. God bless him. He had apparently rented an SUP. He was out in the water, trying to just stand up and balance on the thing. I have probably never seen anything that entertaining in the water. I watched this guy tip over and fall about every way imaginable. He hit head first on the board at one point. The back flop. The head first dive. The pencil. He almost got upright at one point, holding the paddle straight out with his other arm out trying to balance. Almost got there and flipped off sideways. At one point, his SUP even tomb stoned. Didn't think that was possible.

But man, I probably missed 3-4 set waves just enjoying the show. It was classic. Still, good vibes in the water. Everyone meant well. Even the little kids boogying on the inside, they cheer you on as you surf right at them, but they don't move... Ohh well, they "meant well" and that is all that counts.

Just another summer day. Sometimes, instead of letting it frustrate you, turn lemons into lemonade and just drink it all in.

I would almost pay the rental fee of an SUP and just give it to a pack of kids from Kentucky and just sit there and watch the show. It's amazing stuff.

That is what I'm talking about.

Adopt this attitude and you'll have a better day.

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Everyone meant well. Even the little kids boogying on the inside, they cheer you on as you surf right at them, but they don't move... Ohh well, they "meant well" and that is all that counts.
    i'm gonna start a thread on this.
    this really sticks in my craw.
    why? cause time and time again I DO NOT COLLIDE WITH THEM.....but to do so repeatedly DOES OCCUR TO ME
    but of course thats assault and i won't be baited so i wind up agged.....

The past two days have seen little thigh to maybe waist high peelers around here, with offshores and warm, crystal clear water. Been dragging the log out for some speedy nose trimming in what has turned out to be a really playful couple of days in the water.

That's the good thing about really small waves during the summer... you can't take it too seriously. The comedy show around here is being able to enjoy watching people... kids and adults alike... trying to ride the most inappropriate boards imaginable. I've even seen pintail GUNS in the water the past couple days! ...tons of old school single fin shortboards... stingers... old logs... first generation thrusters... boards that haven't seen the light of day for about 30 or 40 years.. many of them with what appears to be an original wax job! I guess relatives "come down" to visit and they drag out a board from under the house... point down the street and say, "there ya go!"