LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    We need baggy wet suits then hip hop could take over surfing!

Can't beat 80's hip hop.Still listen to it.Self Destruction were headed for self Destruction.Worddddddd to the mother land boyyyyyy.Cut the bolistics G I grew up in the streets of Neptune,What can I say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJrkIEqitjk really good edit with RZA playing in the background

Quote Originally Posted by billabongmoney View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJrkIEqitjk really good edit with RZA playing in the background
    Dude I'm really digging that edit. I think the music and surfing in the video compliment eachother quite well.

It's all about modern surf music i.e. Ceremony or Night Birds

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    Plus, all you people are just falling into the same trap every generation falls into: phobia of cultural change/youth culture. Remember when kids started listening to jazz and their parents thought it was the devil's music? Then they died and everyone realized what an incredible form of art it was. The same thing happened with Rock and Roll. Why don't you realize that just because you didn't grow up with it doesn't mean it can't be art.
    Ahh Robber, I'll give you some props, as they say in da streets....

But I did kind of grow up with rap. I've been hearing it since I was 12. And it's just in no way comparable to music produced by instruments. How could it be? It's cheating. The world is declining and pop culture is a noticable symptom.

I like that you mentioned this youth/culture change thang. It is something I have been having discussions with myself for sometime.

Yes, Elvis and The Beatles scared the parents of America, but there is a distinct difference - John Lennon was a musical genius and French Montana just ain't. Neither is Kanye. Popular music/rock and roll was continuing to evolve and grow more sophisticated. This stuff out there today is a regression. Rap's been around since at least the early 80's and it will never, by me, be considered a sophiticated genre. It's a novelty and a way to keep thugs off of the streets....sometimes.

Then there's the whole thing aboot music's bad influence. Growing up as a pubescent type I was admonished by certain friend's mommies for listening to Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath. I was going to marry the devil because of The Number of the Beast LP. Ha, I still love Jesus to this day.

Today, there's shootings within the music industry primarily heralded by that old east vs west coast rap thang. And good Lord, the poster boy of the west coast was born and raised in New York and Baltimore. How's aboot that? Ironic, huh.

Anyways, you're OK, Robber. I got respect for ya. Yeah, I tend to be friggin vain when it comes to my opinions and am in shocking disbelief when others don't think like me. Yeah, I need to work on that..........But the commercially succesful rap of today is just God-awful. That's not an opinion that's a fact. Look, I've been sitting up at nights listening to the Music Choice channels on my cable provider. They cover every genre............

I've been checking out the rap channel frequently. It is just dreadful. First, is Drake a collabarator on EVERYONE'S songs? Good lord, that dude is pathetic but he has this solid reputation. Why? Oh man, there's just nothing to any of these songs. I garauntee that any 3rd grade class could come up with better rhymes than these clowns. Today's stuff makes the 90's rap dudes look like Mozart.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    Ahh Robber, I'll give you some props, as they say in da streets....

But I did kind of grow up with rap. I've been hearing it since I was 12. And it's just in no way comparable to music produced by instruments. How could it be? It's cheating. The world is declining and pop culture is a noticable symptom.

I like that you mentioned this youth/culture change thang. It is something I have been having discussions with myself for sometime.

Yes, Elvis and The Beatles scared the parents of America, but there is a distinct difference - John Lennon was a musical genius and French Montana just ain't. Neither is Kanye. Popular music/rock and roll was continuing to evolve and grow more sophisticated. This stuff out there today is a regression. Rap's been around since at least the early 80's and it will never, by me, be considered a sophiticated genre. It's a novelty and a way to keep thugs off of the streets....sometimes.

Then there's the whole thing aboot music's bad influence. Growing up as a pubescent type I was admonished by certain friend's mommies for listening to Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath. I was going to marry the devil because of The Number of the Beast LP. Ha, I still love Jesus to this day.

Today, there's shootings within the music industry primarily heralded by that old east vs west coast rap thang. And good Lord, the poster boy of the west coast was born and raised in New York and Baltimore. How's aboot that? Ironic, huh.

Anyways, you're OK, Robber. I got respect for ya. Yeah, I tend to be friggin vain when it comes to my opinions and am in shocking disbelief when others don't think like me. Yeah, I need to work on that..........But the commercially succesful rap of today is just God-awful. That's not an opinion that's a fact. Look, I've been sitting up at nights listening to the Music Choice channels on my cable provider. They cover every genre............

I've been checking out the rap channel frequently. It is just dreadful. First, is Drake a collabarator on EVERYONE'S songs? Good lord, that dude is pathetic but he has this solid reputation. Why? Oh man, there's just nothing to any of these songs. I garauntee that any 3rd grade class could come up with better rhymes than these clowns. Today's stuff makes the 90's rap dudes look like Mozart.
    Get Sirius XM Satellite Radio and tune into Backspin for Old School Raps, nothing but the O.G.'s, it'll save your life...

Maybe the reason you don't hear hip-hop on surf videos is because no one ever asked these guys like these to produce tracks for one....

And "it's just pushing buttons" like playing a guitar is "just strumming strings."

[QUOTE=Erock;177828]Folks, please stop getting "Hip-Hop" and "Rap" confused. Rap sucks. Hip-Hop has been and forever will be an underground movement and the gap between it and Rap has grown considerably over time Sure, some artists make it big and popular in the mainstream (Roots, OutKast, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Gangstar to name a few), but that's not what it's all about, nor is it the goal--and it most definitely is not about blinging out wit da hoes and gettin all thug-like, yolo.

Hip-Hop is by-and-large highly intelligent and socially conscious--often pigeonholed and mischaracterized as "Conscious Rap." I agree that "Rap" has no part in surfing... I don't think Rap should have any part in anything whatsoever. I would love to hear more Hip-Hop in surf vids, but that's because I love Hip-Hop... to its their own, you know?

I don't have time to really get into it all in one post, but I do take extreme exception with the claim that electronic music doesn't require skill or music knowledge and is merely someone "pressing buttons on a computer." Sure, there are some production programs that make it almost that easy to create loops, but they're like the difference between a Fisher Price My First Guitar and a Rickenbacker 360 when compared to professional electronic music production programs--highly limited and sound like crap. Producing electronic music can be extremely complicated and requires a fairly thorough knowledge of music theory. How do I know? I used to produce some Hip-Hop, some Big Beat and tons upon tons of Drum and Bass. I started in music at a very early age with Clarinet, Oboe, Sax, and Bassoon. Then I learned guitar and bass... I love playing bass--been doing it for over 20 years now... although I don't pick it up very often these days.

Nice Man... Still working Reason and Acid with a Korg pad control, mixer and chopper for DNB and Breaks.