LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

* almost

Zeke Lau Volcom's Strange Brains to Aesop Rock is good I think. Just fits.

because they are like $33 each for a surf DVD. While rap music promotes the frivolous hemorrhaging of cash, most rap music listeners have little to no disposable income. Also, this demographic lends it self to piracy much more than, say, the middle class, weekend warrior, working man surfer. If you were trying to sell a $33, 40 minute long DVD, what music would you choose?

Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    because they are like $33 each for a surf DVD. While rap music promotes the frivolous hemorrhaging of cash, most rap music listeners have little to no disposable income. Also, this demographic lends it self to piracy much more than, say, the middle class, weekend warrior, working man surfer. If you were trying to sell a $33, 40 minute long DVD, what music would you choose?
    Welcome to The Machine - Pink Floyd

"Wipeout" , the Jaws theme song and some Beach Boys should be featured in every surf video.

There are a lot of skiing movies out there that use a bit of hip-hop here and there. I'm not a hip-hop fan at all, but used in the right place it really works well. Depends on the song...saying hip-hop is a huge generalization. It's sort of like saying "rock n roll" to refer to one style of music.

I think a big part of it is that there just isn't a big population of Black Americans that surf or are involved in surf culture. The classical image of a surfer in American media has always been the blond haired California boy even though this isn't an accurate image in the global context. By no means did Europeans consider Polynesians to be White. The English didn't even consider the Irish, Germans, and Italians to be White until well into the 1900s. Keep in mind that when Americans began moving towards the beaches and swimming culture began to grow in the 1920s Black Americans were being harassed and chased off most beaches. There is a pretty interesting documentary on netflix called Whitewash that raises some good dialogue on the subject.

People Under the Stairs is one of my choice artists for the drive to the beach! It's mellow and rhythmic...really puts me in the right frame of mind for surfing.

Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    If you were trying to sell a $33, 40 minute long DVD, what music would you choose?
    I think some El Ten Eleven would set the mood for a decent longboarding flick.

Folks, please stop getting "Hip-Hop" and "Rap" confused. Rap sucks. Hip-Hop has been and forever will be an underground movement and the gap between it and Rap has grown considerably over time Sure, some artists make it big and popular in the mainstream (Roots, OutKast, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Gangstar to name a few), but that's not what it's all about, nor is it the goal--and it most definitely is not about blinging out wit da hoes and gettin all thug-like, yolo.

Hip-Hop is by-and-large highly intelligent and socially conscious--often pigeonholed and mischaracterized as "Conscious Rap." I agree that "Rap" has no part in surfing... I don't think Rap should have any part in anything whatsoever. I would love to hear more Hip-Hop in surf vids, but that's because I love Hip-Hop... to its their own, you know?

I don't have time to really get into it all in one post, but I do take extreme exception with the claim that electronic music doesn't require skill or music knowledge and is merely someone "pressing buttons on a computer." Sure, there are some production programs that make it almost that easy to create loops, but they're like the difference between a Fisher Price My First Guitar and a Rickenbacker 360 when compared to professional electronic music production programs--highly limited and sound like crap. Producing electronic music can be extremely complicated and requires a fairly thorough knowledge of music theory. How do I know? I used to produce some Hip-Hop, some Big Beat and tons upon tons of Drum and Bass. I started in music at a very early age with Clarinet, Oboe, Sax, and Bassoon. Then I learned guitar and bass... I love playing bass--been doing it for over 20 years now... although I don't pick it up very often these days.

Some Hip Hop Artists/Groups I consider to be awesome:

Definitive Jux Label: El-P, Rob Sonic, Mr. Lif, Aesop Rock, RJD2 et. al... groups like Company Flow and Cannibal Ox
    Blackstar: Mos Def, Talib Kweli, DJ Hi-Tech
    Dialated Peoples: Rakaa Iriscience, Evidence, Babu
    Nas
    Common
    Kool Keith/Dr. Octagon
    Del tha Funky Homosapien

Hell, I went through all that and I could have just let Aesop Rock 'splain it to y'all (turn it up!):

Images
    Mr. Dobaleena Mister Bob Dobaleena.
    Last edited by seldom seen; Jul 15, 2013 at 05:36 PM. Reason: *aware of Dobaleena misspelling.