LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why so short?

Quote Originally Posted by beachbreak View Post
    a lot of bad surfing these past few years on these volume boards.
    I beg to differ. Understanding the volume that works for you is the key to getting the right board under your feet. If you understand the volume you need/want that works for you, you can do what you want to the shape/length, rails etc...etc...The reason you are seeing a lot of bad surfing on these 'volume' boards, whatever that means, is because of the surfers riding them....just jumping on trends without understanding how surfboards work, how all elements of surfboard design come together. Just my two cents homies....

seriously. an 8 6 is NOT a thruster. you really don't need that much more volume for the winter if at all. I bit on that for years but lately Ive just been riding my normal board (6 2) straight through and don't notice a difference

What would you call this board? It's got a medium amount of rocker. Is there even a name for it or should I just call it the board?
    DSCN0430[1].jpgDSCN0431[1].jpg

That's a funboard to me

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cosby's nephew View Post
    That's a funboard to me
    ^^^^^funshape.

That's a funboard to me
    Aren't they all fun boards? Mine are at least, never caught a wave I didn't have fun on, is that weird?

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Aren't they all fun boards? Mine are at least, never caught a wave I didn't have fun on, is that weird?
    Good point

Quote Originally Posted by banman View Post
    What would you call this board? It's got a medium amount of rocker. Is there even a name for it or should I just call it the board?
    I believe you would call this board a "mid-length."

As others have said, if you must go shorter, you're best off beginning the search in the groveler aisle. While you're at it, be sure to check out some single fin eggs in the 6'-7' range. With an egg, you will get the volume/float you're looking to maintain, while increasing your overall maneuverability. You can almost think of an egg as a trimmed-up mid-length, with a little more pizzazz. You're going to haul so much ass, especially with the classic single fin. The single fin may require a little more finesse and grace, but it will only make you a more well-rounded surfer. I'm sure your dad would approve.
    Last edited by dlrouen; Jul 16, 2013 at 06:45 PM. Reason: So the grammar police won't arrest me.

There really is no defined category that I know of for higher performance boards in the 7'+ range. Calling them funboards doesn't do them justice. When I think of funboard I think of a white plastic popout in the rental section at your local shop

Good point
    I got lucky, all credit goes to Allah