LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Hottest thing next season is the Oneill 4/3 with radiation blocking neoprene and fast dry technology. Plus if you glow in the dark night surfing is no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by archy View Post
    The Fukishima incident is far worse. even a scientist such as yourself should know that.

http://mainichi.jp/english/english/n...dm038000c.html

the Pacific bomb tests were one shot doses of radiation, that overtime dissipated to safe levels. Hiroshima and Nagasaki are thriving cities now with so-called safe radioactive levels.

on the other hand look at Chernobyl. that city is not safe to live in.

but unlike Chernobyl, Fukishima is too hot for even robots to enter the reactor core to clean up the mess. and unlike a nuclear bomb/test, this is a continuous flow of radiation pouring into the air, ground, and now the ocean for over 2 years. the map you show gives one shot radiation contamination. and scientists are saying it may take more than 40 years to clean-up and decommission the plant.

http://news.yahoo.com/iaea-japan-nuk...VR.WkADRnQtDMD

Listen brewdude, what i'm giving here are not end of times prophesy rants, or fear mongering.
    i'm just giving truth bruddah. no this is not the end of the world but at the same time this is not only Japan's problem. or maybe Hawaii's in 5-10 years.

and your downplay of this not being a serious issue for the US mainland I think is a bit of denial or just plain foolishness. first off the Pacific ocean currents flow from Asia mainly to the west coast of the US, then to Hawaii. and with an unrestricted, continuous flow of radiation pouring into the atmosphere projected to go one for lets say conservatively 10 years, well I think it is a serious issue for the US.

hey man no fear mongering here, just truth. if the truth scares you too much to handle, you can stick your head back in the sand.
    You may want to look up the amount of radioactive isotopes released ber nuke test, and multiply that by the massive number of nuke tests. It isn't exactly one and done. As I scientist, I know that we continually released radiation in the South Pacific from the 40's until the late 70's. as for your 'truth', you present some decent articles, then make your own doomsday scenarios. That does not count as truth. I presented maps, from an independent study, that shows radiation spread throughout the oceans over the next few decades. These are predictions based on known current models and results from previous radioactive contamination. I trust these, and they show no immediate danger to the mainland US. When you find a reputable study that shows something different, I will listen. No Archy predictions, just models and data. We have been through this before.
    Last edited by brewengineer; Jul 24, 2013 at 03:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    You may want to look up the amount of radioactive isotopes released ber nuke test, and multiply that by the massive number of nuke tests. It isn't exactly one and done. As I scientist, I know that we continually released radiation in the South Pacific from the 40's until the late 70's. as for your 'truth', you present some decent articles, then make your own doomsday scenarios. That does not count as truth. I presented maps, from an independent study, that shows radiation spread throughout the oceans over the next few decades. These are predictions based on known current models and results from previous radioactive contamination. I trust these, and they show no immediate danger to the mainland US. When you find a reputable study that shows something different, I will listen. No Archy predictions, just models and data. We have been through this before.
    i see you brew, and im well aware of the ongoing tests done. but my common sense tells me after 30+ years of nuclear bomb testing and an area is safe to inhabit shortly after, versus a nuclear power plant meltdown(Chernobyl) that leaves and area unsafe for habitation for centuries is much worse.

i don't have all the answers or the time to find them. if any one is concerned do your own research, i am just giving people a heads up.

but my common sense tells me after 30+ years of nuclear bomb testing and an area is safe to inhabit shortly after.
    Safe by what standards?
    http://www-ns.iaea.org/appraisals/bikini-atoll.asp

Shortly after? If you consider 40 years a short amount of time.
    http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor...sk.html?page=1

If anyone deserves to be pissed at our government, it is the natives of the Bikini Atoll.

FYI, Chernobyl is only unsafe in certain areas. There are people living there now, though they have to be careful where they go and what they eat. The problem with that meltdown, was that they improperly contained it. It also doesn't have the benefit of seawater cooling and ocean dispersion.

there is a reason this news is not mainstream. its because nuclear energy equals big $$$$, and companies like GE own and control many of the media outlets.

people on here say there is no danger to anyone other than the people of Japan. FOOLS!!!

so why the most powerful world governments are concerned with overthrowing and destabilizing other countries, and feeding the public diversionary propaganda like gay marriage, royal babies, and so-called racially motivated crimes, they do nothing to address the real problems.

a lot of you here call this kind of info fear mongering. I call it reality.

http://rt.com/op-edge/japan-fukushim...vironment-229/

here we go again

there is a reason this news is not mainstream. its because nuclear energy equals big $$$$, and companies like GE own and control many of the media outlets.

people on here say there is no danger to anyone other than the people of Japan. FOOLS!!!

so why the most powerful world governments are concerned with overthrowing and destabilizing other countries, and feeding the public diversionary propaganda like gay marriage, royal babies, and so-called racially motivated crimes, they do nothing to address the real problems.

a lot of you here call this kind of info fear mongering. I call it reality.

http://rt.com/op-edge/japan-fukushim...vironment-229/
    Dude, I hear you on this, but are you aware of the sheer immensity of the ocean? It's unfathomable

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cosby's nephew View Post
    Dude, I hear you on this, but are you aware of the sheer immensity of the ocean? It's unfathomable
    Yes the Pacific Ocean is immense, but 300 tons of radioactive contaminated waste water spilling into the ocean daily for the next 40 years (conservatively) or longer..... Well
    And with tuna being caught in California waters contaminated with Fukishima radiation already http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18239107 , like I said previously this is a serious enviornmental disaster that affects more than just Japan.

I'm not posting this to fear monger or complain. I'm only posting this to warn people so they can take steps to protect themselves. If you are eating Pacific tuna or other large pelagic fish at least take iodine tablets or better yet a natural source of iodine. Modafilan is a good product. http://www.modifilan-seaweed-extract....aspx?keyword=

Alright, next time I order some Pacific tuna at my local sushi joint I'll be sure to request a side of iodine tablets.
    Also, I was unaware of the technology that alllows us to determine the source of radioactivity from thousands of miles away

Too Much Iodine

There are many dangers associated with taking iodine supplements, especially without consulting a physician first to determine what your specific condition is. The Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (Mayo Clinic) explains that the problem with a thyroid conditions might not be a lack of iodine in your diet, but a lack of ability for your thyroid to absorb the iodine you are eating.

Taking more iodine supplements would not solve this problem, but it could overload your body with iodine and cause serious iodine poisoning of seizures, vomiting, delirium and other short-term problems. Just like having too little iodine can cause problems, too much iodine can also cause goiters and in extreme cases, permanent damage to your intestines and brain.