LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dlrouen View Post
    Nice work, Erock.

Do you make coffee tables?
    Sure do. I use solid wood so they're pretty pricey. A buddy and I have a side woodworking "business," we do custom orders for things like coffee tables and keep tree swings, coasters and cutting boards in stock... although we need to play catch-up because our stock is extremely low--been too busy with grown-up stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Manisses View Post
    That is some solid work. I got one at a local shop on sale and its a ton of fun. You can't help but 'plane out' once you get your weight behind it. Lets see some footage of you getting a 1 foot tube!
    Thanks man, I hope to crank out a vid or at least get a couple pics of them in action... one day.

Quote Originally Posted by spikeb122 View Post
    looks good how long did this take you?
    I've probably got a little over 4 hours in them so far. Once I get them dialed in I will probably be able to make 4 or 5 at a time with 5-6 total hours work time. Beer drinking and "getting safe" time not included.

Quote Originally Posted by SHREDSLED View Post
    Nice work. I want one.
    I hope to get my production method dialed in at some point then ad them as a stock fixture for our wood shop. But right now we've really been dropping the ball on our interweb marketing, our etsy account is inactive right now and we haven't updated jack on FB in a while. My partner has a 1.5 year old and one in the oven, so neither of us have had time lately.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    Did you use a router to put the channels in?
    Yeah, with a big-ass 1.5" fluting bit. I'm going to use a combination of that and some other bits next time in an effort to reduce rough sanding. I free-handed this one and plan on making some templates and jigs once I find what bottom designs work best.

I am very impressed. I'd love to see a video of one being used.

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    I've probably got a little over 4 hours in them so far. Once I get them dialed in I will probably be able to make 4 or 5 at a time with 5-6 total hours work time. Beer drinking and "getting safe" time not included.
    "Safety meetings" are a must before all garage projects

Lets see some action pics! Oh wait, it looks like a salty lake right now...

Quote Originally Posted by banman View Post
    Lets see some action pics! Oh wait, it looks like a salty lake right now...
    I probably won't have them done for over a week unfortunately.

Images
    Nice looking handboards dude! I shaped one for myself about a year and a half ago. Super fun for little mini barrels, I had a blast in the shorebreak in some heavy Kauaii spots last year.

I went with a single concave for speed and thinned it out a lot so it wouldn't be a liability in heavier surf. I've had enough shoulder dislocations, not trying to get my arm ripped off on closeouts haha.

If you ever get down to CB and want to get barreled in the shorebreak hit me up!

Sorry for the big pics!

Rob, Erock, and ClemSurf... beautiful stuff! Looks like a lot of fun to me...

Clemson: Those Sapele boards are going to look absolutely awesome in the sun! I was thinking about making some keel fins but figured I would wait until I experiment with another couple designs. Do you plan on glassing your hand boards?

And dude, for the love of Gawd.... please stop using Gorilla Poo! Or never, ever, ever buy it once you use what you have up. Titebond Ultimate all the way! (Sorry, I have to razz people whenever I see evidence of Gorilla Poo)

RobG: That thing looks sleek man. Since yours is Paulownia (I think), what did you finish it with? From the pics it looks like you waxed it.

The bottom contour is almost exactly what I was originally thinking about going for but I didn't want to go too thin on the first go-round--mainly because I've been thinking about putting threaded bungs into the deck to attach the strap with machine screws instead of wood screws and didn't want to come anywhere near going through the entire board by accident. So, I went a little thicker and started with a 1" or so thick blank and went from there--I think both boards are about .33" at their thinnest points, so my over-all concave is pretty aggressive but I kept the rails pretty thick and soft.

Where did you get that strap? It looks a little more churched-up than I was originally thinking about for mine since they are technically "quick and dirty," but I guess I might as well go for the gold if I can get my hands on some straps like that. How did you attach them?

I've started the first coat of Helmsman on the bottoms last night and am about to run out and put the first coat on the top here in a minute. I'll post some more pics a little later...

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    Rob, Erock, and ClemSurf... beautiful stuff! Looks like a lot of fun to me...
    Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by goosemagoo View Post
    "Safety meetings" are a must before all garage projects
    and during