LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rstoup View Post
    Those look really slick.

Hey erock a buddy of mine makes hand planes. He uses holes or straps. Here's two of his, maybe you can figure out where he got the brackets for the nylon webbing. It worked pretty well, although to be honest I've only used each of them once. I didn't lose 'em and i caught some waves, success right.

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    I used poplar since it was cheap, light and available locally. Maybe I will try paulownia next time if I can find it. I used boiled linseed oil to seal it. It worked but that stuff is toxic and prone to spontaneous combustion if it gets too hot so I got rid of it after I was done. I will go with something else next time.

As for the strap I got it from a wrist mounted computer system from my work. They are two pieces that are screwed in on each side with a loop and velcro closure to adjust the size. The screws are covered with a velcro closure to give it a cleaner look. Good thing too cause those things are rusty as hell now haha. It's hard to describe but I can show you if you ever come down this way There's a bodysurfing competition in CB next month called the Whomporama - https://www.facebook.com/events/588311934525850/?ref=22. Probably a good way to show off your work and maybe sell some handplanes too.
    My 'puter wood identification needs some work!
    I'll be down to enter that comp if I get these finished up by then. I won't have any to sell this time around, but seems like it could be fun.

Looking good man! I should have made a router template like you did so I can replicate these a little easier... maybe next time.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Those look really slick.

Hey erock a buddy of mine makes hand planes. He uses holes or straps. Here's two of his, maybe you can figure out where he got the brackets for the nylon webbing. It worked pretty well, although to be honest I've only used each of them once. I didn't lose 'em and i caught some waves, success right.
    Definitely 100% success.
    After seeing the one with the strap I had a face-palm moment. As a sailor I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN a quick trip to West Marine would be all I needed. Thanks for posting a close up of the brand HARKEN... I feel like an idiot for not thinking about using halyard stop/guides.

How does that one with the ladybug and flower print work for you?

The one with the wheel on it looks like its had a few trips over a VERY SHALLOW reef. I wonder what his stomach looked like. Or maybe he was towing in the street behind a truck after Sandy. Ouch

hey thanks for the kind words erock. These things are so much fun to make. I decided to make duplicates of the 3 different models. One set with the hole grab and the other set with a handstrap yet Ive yet to install the handstraps on them. Ive been searching the internet for some decent handstraps and havent really found any.

There is a guy near me in Delmarva, Gregg Rosner, who makes handplanes (along with alaias and paipos). He uses Paulownia wood. I am pretty sure he glues the Paulownia boards together before shaping the handplane. Here is his website which hasn't been updated in awhile: http://cargocollective.com/rocketalaias.

I have one of his "loaners" and have used it a few times here in North OCMD. The loaner is too big for my taste (it is almost as big as a small bodyboard) and has the hole in the board for your fist. I used a handgun years ago, and prefer a smaller model with the strap style with no hole in the board.

I wanted to order a smaller, thinner model from him, but he is busy making a hollow wooden surfboard now and sounds like he will be tied up with this project for months.

So I would certainly consider buying one from youse guys here - I like what I see, so keep those pics of your work coming. The quality looks pretty darn good and I would love to support an artisan working with wood in a home shop for my next wave riding vehicle purchase.

hey thanks for the kind words erock. These things are so much fun to make. I decided to make duplicates of the 3 different models. One set with the hole grab and the other set with a handstrap yet Ive yet to install the handstraps on them. Ive been searching the internet for some decent handstraps and havent really found any.
    I've got an idea about what I'm going to do and will post it up when I do it. Still finishing the boards, so will probably address the straps next week sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by funkyspec View Post
    There is a guy near me in Delmarva, Gregg Rosner, who makes handplanes (along with alaias and paipos). He uses Paulownia wood. I am pretty sure he glues the Paulownia boards together before shaping the handplane. Here is his website which hasn't been updated in awhile: http://cargocollective.com/rocketalaias.

I have one of his "loaners" and have used it a few times here in North OCMD. The loaner is too big for my taste (it is almost as big as a small bodyboard) and has the hole in the board for your fist. I used a handgun years ago, and prefer a smaller model with the strap style with no hole in the board.

I wanted to order a smaller, thinner model from him, but he is busy making a hollow wooden surfboard now and sounds like he will be tied up with this project for months.

So I would certainly consider buying one from youse guys here - I like what I see, so keep those pics of your work coming. The quality looks pretty darn good and I would love to support an artisan working with wood in a home shop for my next wave riding vehicle purchase.

Thanks man! Mine are prototypes, so they could spontaneously combust and create a sharknado the moment they hit the water for all I know. If these work good, I'll be confident enough to bust some out for some folks.

Oh yeah, I finally did a rough measurement on mine. They are 12.25" x 7.25"

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    I've got an idea about what I'm going to do and will post it up when I do it. Still finishing the boards, so will probably address the straps next week sometime.

Thanks man! Mine are prototypes, so they could spontaneously combust and create a sharknado the moment they hit the water for all I know. If these work good, I'll be confident enough to bust some out for some folks.

Oh yeah, I finally did a rough measurement on mine. They are 12.25" x 7.25"
    Ha ha we love the word sharknado here on SI. So just throwing it out there...what IF we put two of these things on our feet and got in a board stance? Would the independence of the feet that's foreign to a board get in the way? Could you specify the concave of the left and right plan to correspond to what would be the intended concave under the front and back feet of a board you'd ride?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    Ha ha we love the word sharknado here on SI. So just throwing it out there...what IF we put two of these things on our feet and got in a board stance? Would the independence of the feet that's foreign to a board get in the way? Could you specify the concave of the left and right plan to correspond to what would be the intended concave under the front and back feet of a board you'd ride?
    Sounds like a good question for Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    Sounds like a good question for Roy.
    Ha hahahahaha!

Didn't water skiing get invented long ago? I bet someone threw on woodies decades back!!!! We won't be the first

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funkyspec View Post

Dude, OCMD has some really fun bodysurfing spots. I caught a really good swell there in early June and had a blast on the handplane. Too many barrels to count that morning!

That's exactly why I like a smaller, thinner board for me. Less of a risk of getting sucked over the falls and ripping your arm out of the socket haha. I want just enough to plane on and hold a higher line in the barrel, not a big hunk of wood on my hand.

In my opinion, the best handplanes on the market are Brownfish Handplanes. Check out his Hobbit model, so sick. They are a little pricey but the craftsmanship and quality is worth the price.