LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Great work! I love it when people ride waves in an unconventional way. Handplanes are sick in overhead victory-at-sea days too!

I never saw this thread before but there's some nice work here guys. Keep the posts coming.

I've been trying out some designs with keels and fins. The red one is epoxied pine with glass-on fins and an old leash railguard as the strap. The blue horseshoe is still getting prepped for some pin lines and a 2nd color. I'll probably add leash plugs to anchor the strap...
    Anyone here ever make a foam and wood one?

red-deck.jpgblue-deck.jpg
    blue-bottom.jpgred-bottom.jpg

I'm surprised at how many of us make/have made these things.. i rarely see anyone using em

Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastBoast View Post
    made a couple in wood shop a few years back.. toyed around with a couple different shapes this one i thought was pretty cool.. i call it.. the balloon

Attachment 9560
    That's awesome! I bet that thing just glides through mushburgers.

Quote Originally Posted by viajerodevida View Post
    I never saw this thread before but there's some nice work here guys. Keep the posts coming.

I've been trying out some designs with keels and fins. The red one is epoxied pine with glass-on fins and an old leash railguard as the strap. The blue horseshoe is still getting prepped for some pin lines and a 2nd color. I'll probably add leash plugs to anchor the strap...
    Anyone here ever make a foam and wood one?

red-deck.jpgblue-deck.jpg
    blue-bottom.jpgred-bottom.jpg

Really digging those, I've been thinking about making a couple and painting them up a bit. I see we are on the same tip with the keels.

Forgot to add: My most recent one is made from African Mahogany, edge grain Tiger Maple, Cocobolo and Cypress. I finished it with three coats of Tung Oil.

I haven't thought about doing a wood/foam one yet... seem's the extreme differences in densities would create a shaping challenge at the least.... Hell, I've still got to glass the foam ones I shaped... they're just languishing on a rack right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    I haven't thought about doing a wood/foam one yet... seem's the extreme differences in densities would create a shaping challenge at the least
    Yeah, maybe, but I only see advantages in having a hybrid instead of an all-foam or all-wood one. Best laid plans...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by viajerodevida View Post
    Thats sick it looks like a mini simmons.