LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    Hanna (Barbara): You used to hang out in the Inlet back in the day? Wow, you must have been a bad arse.
    no, just young and invincible, as we all were once. there was always a crew of white boys in the South Inlet in the late 70's-early 80's, most of whom surfed (mostly Crystal and Vermont Ave - we left States Ave to the brave Margate boys who would venture downtown when it wasn't breaking downbeach). I lived on New Hampshire Ave and both sides of Seaside at various points in time - this was as the Inlet was being abandoned but before it was actually levelled. we spent the winters of '81 & '82 ransacking abandoned houses throughout the Inlet - the junkies would move in first and strip the copper pipes and the houses would be wide open after that - we scavenged all kinds of cool stuff.

never had a lot of problems with Puerto Ricans and the brothers, but they knew we were local and left us alone. my freshman year at Stockton, i wrote a term paper for my Sociology 101class comparing & contrasting the organizational structure of the two dominant drug dealing factions in the South Inlet (the Jamaicans & the Puerto Ricans). it blew my Soc professor's mind and i aced the class. looking back, i had some of the craziest times of my life in the Inlet and wouldn't have missed it for anything

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    no, just young and invincible, as we all were once. there was always a crew of white boys in the South Inlet in the late 70's-early 80's, most of whom surfed (mostly Crystal and Vermont Ave - we left States Ave to the brave Margate boys who would venture downtown when it wasn't breaking downbeach). I lived on New Hampshire Ave and both sides of Seaside at various points in time - this was as the Inlet was being abandoned but before it was actually levelled. we spent the winters of '81 & '82 ransacking abandoned houses throughout the Inlet - the junkies would move in first and strip the copper pipes and the houses would be wide open after that - we scavenged all kinds of cool stuff.

never had a lot of problems with Puerto Ricans and the brothers, but they knew we were local and left us alone. my freshman year at Stockton, i wrote a term paper for my Sociology 101class comparing & contrasting the organizational structure of the two dominant drug dealing factions in the South Inlet (the Jamaicans & the Puerto Ricans). it blew my Soc professor's mind and i aced the class. looking back, i had some of the craziest times of my life in the Inlet and wouldn't have missed it for anything
    Man, that's pretty damn cool. The whole story. You wouldn't still have a copy of that paper would you? That must have been a pretty wild time and place to be a surfer. You got me day dreaming now.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    Man, that's pretty damn cool. The whole story. You wouldn't still have a copy of that paper would you? That must have been a pretty wild time and place to be a surfer. You got me day dreaming now.
    Sounds like that aforementioned time machine would come in handy right now.

Quote Originally Posted by chicharronne View Post
    the first question should be, "WHY?"
    That was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the title of this thread.

Then I realized it was a joke, and felt a lot better for the OP.