LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I think there is a lot of love for riding my 8' single fin. It's kind of a back up board for when it gets a bit steeper, i love my 9'8 single fin longboard, so i echo the comments from Erock, i feel a bit more alive on the wave than on a 2+1. I have put in an order for a True Ames 8 inch Norm Flex, I think i like a bit of rake in my fins, so i thought i'd give it a go.

Thanks for all the help on my first post.

Pretty awesome advice all around, I still think it's awesome how there's so much practical knowledge here to appreciate. Don't get me wrong , I love all the bull$#it also. I hope everyone gets some good waves today.

A year ago I wanted to experiment with a single fin on my 10' Stewart Hydro-Hull, so I removed the side bites and threw on a 10" Bing fin, it turned out as a bad idea, I lost all my glide, after missing wave after wave I jumped out and put my 7.5" and rode that as a single, and the board performed much better. In the end I went back with the tri-fin set up. I've ridden some single fin boards since, that rode real nice. To this day I'm not sure if the fin was just too big for the board or if the board shape just works better with the tri set up. Let me know how you make out.

Single fins are sweet! I have a 7'8" single fin a buddy shaped for me that I love. It is modled after my first board from the late 80's (a 1970's Jim Ovelin single fin) and I also have a 6'1" single (orange board) that is super fun in anything over waist high. The smaller one is a take off of the CI single fin that Machado helped Merrick design. Dluroen the yellow one was done glassed by Eavey.
    Orange Sing.jpgYellow Sing side.jpgYello Sing.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rcarter View Post
    Dluroen the yellow one was done glassed by Eavey.
    Orange Sing.jpg
    Those are some fine looking boards, rcarter. You must be a very proud man. What are their names? I would like to take that 6'1" out for a nice seafood dinner sometime.

I hope you're staying fresh in the big city!

for small summer i would ride the longboard as a single fin (less fins=less drag). when a decent swell fills in, if you still ride a longboard as opposed to shortboard, throw the sidebites in for drive and hold. you'd be surprised the things a HP longboard 2+1 setup can do. my single fin preference is the 8" Greenough 4A on my 9' longboard. i just convinced a good buddy to get the same fin as well, they are tried and true.

Quote Originally Posted by dlrouen View Post
    I would like to take that 6'1" out for a nice seafood dinner sometime
    And NEVER call her again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    And NEVER call her again!!!
    Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!

Bears can smell the menstration!

Actually Dlrouen that little single fin was sold to a guy in Wilm last fall. I have a similar shape and size version of it now with diamond tail and 5 fin boxes. They are all shaped by my friend in Wilmington who actually has the yellow one back at his place since I "loaned/left" it there.

Quote Originally Posted by newenglandflatness View Post
    Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!
    NEflat, I can see you trying to win me over. It's working. Sequel comes out before Christmas.