LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Images

Southeast Winter Surfing

Ive surfed for a couple of years but this will be the first year I will be breaking out the wetsuit and surfing whenever there is decent surf. I figured its gotta be so much nicer with no people/jellyfish in the water. So I was wondering how much more consistent/better the waves are during the winter months (size wise) compared to the summer? Also will a 3/5mm be enough for the coldest days/temperatures? Thanks for any info.

Images
    [QUOTE=GeorgiaSurfer;178971]Ive surfed for a couple of years but this will be the first year I will be breaking out the wetsuit and surfing whenever there is decent surf. I figured its gotta be so much nicer with no people/jellyfish in the water. So I was wondering how much more consistent/better the waves are during the winter months (size wise) compared to the summer? Also will a 3/5mm be enough for the coldest days/temperatures? Thanks for any info.
    [well your from one of the best spots in georgia to be a surfer at least lol anyways ive seen weeks of waves in the 4-5 range and sometimes plus but its super consistent compared to the rest of the year imo. i love hurricane swells but its usally super inconstant and chopy/onshore the most clean days with some size are mostly during the winter i love it man no ones really on the beach and sometimes you have some 50kt winds out the north blowing all night then some fast west winds kick off

Images
    [QUOTE=sandblasters;178978]
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaSurfer View Post
    Ive surfed for a couple of years but this will be the first year I will be breaking out the wetsuit and surfing whenever there is decent surf. I figured its gotta be so much nicer with no people/jellyfish in the water. So I was wondering how much more consistent/better the waves are during the winter months (size wise) compared to the summer? Also will a 3/5mm be enough for the coldest days/temperatures? Thanks for any info.
    [well your from one of the best spots in georgia to be a surfer at least lol anyways ive seen weeks of waves in the 4-5 range and sometimes plus but its super consistent compared to the rest of the year imo. i love hurricane swells but its usally super inconstant and chopy/onshore the most clean days with some size are mostly during the winter i love it man no ones really on the beach and sometimes you have some 50kt winds out the north blowing all night then some fast west winds kick off
    Oh dude that sounds awesome! I was already stoked for winter season but now im that much more! I cant wait for winter, ive only had one 3-4+ day all summer... oh well i guess its worth the wait!

Salt water loses it's density in the winter. that's why wet suit's help us float. swimming in cold water with a wet suit on is the same as swimming in summer without one. i think without a wet suit in the winter that your board will sink for sure. compensate now.
    Last edited by GreenFlash35; Jul 20, 2013 at 07:16 AM.

Spring and fall are usually good. Winter sucks. At least that is how it went this year. We read all the posts about epic days up north thanks to Nor'easters, while it was barely rideable knee high down here.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    Spring and fall are usually good. Winter sucks. At least that is how it went this year. We read all the posts about epic days up north thanks to Nor'easters, while it was barely rideable knee high down here.
    i beg to differ surfing.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sandblasters View Post
    I only saw two days like that all winter. We had 3 weeks straight (in January I believe) with little to no surfable waves. It started to get nice again by beginning of march, and April/May were really nice. I still think late fall is the best here. Usually consistent waves, no tourists, spring suits or light full suits, and the air still feels comfortable.

Images
    I only saw two days like that all winter. We had 3 weeks straight (in January I believe) with little to no surfable waves. It started to get nice again by beginning of march, and April/May were really nice. I still think late fall is the best here. Usually consistent waves, no tourists, spring suits or light full suits, and the air still feels comfortable.
    yeah late fall is my favorite as well hands down

Images
    January was ****e up here, too.

All the hoopla of this past winter(in the North) was based on three or four days where North Jersey was good. It was way overhyped. All of these swells had offshore(WSW or SW...YUCK. Give me NW or give me death) winds at 20-50mph, and watch some Doomsday swell footage and you'll see more close-outs than anything. 10 yard rides is not "EPIC."

The previous two winters before last were abysmal. The worst. So people got excited aboot a handful of swells this winter. Then internet pictures show one second of a closeout bowl and people froth over it. It was a VERY AVERAGE winter. Man, you new s'cool kids don't know what a good winter is. Wait to you get a winter that's nonstop from December to April.........two quality swells a week type of sh!t.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sandblasters View Post
    That literally looks like heaven. Hahahaha