LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

A New and Dangerous enemy of the Local Shaper

Well, I guess it was only a matter of time.... heck even I've been thinking about using 3d printers to build (at least part of it anyways) a surfboard...

http://mashable.com/2013/07/17/smart...ed-surfboards/

I wonder if it can build me a girl friend?

I don't know about 'enemy' status.....if I were the 3D board guy, I'd be franchising the heck outta that technology to enable local shapers to do an even better job of creating terrific boards for local surfers.

Just my 2 centavos

As cool as it sounds, I feel like this is something that's too "tech" too fast for something that's seems like it's remained pretty much unchanged since boards were first made from foam and fiberglass. Or correct me if I'm wrong. I don't know ****.

Images
    don't know about surfboards (and i somehow doubt the viability of that particular business model) but i think 3d printing would be ideal for fins - would it not be awesome to just be able to play with fin designs on some kind of CAD program and pop them out in a few minutes right in your garage?

I wouldn't worry. Didn't you notice that turd they use an example? Seems like all the 3D printer does is make the framing for a hollow board.

I work in the 3d biz and I think its a pretty revolutionary advancement. Right now you can get a 3d printer for your desktop and print fins out you design on your computer. the material used is plastic but it wouldnt take much to have it say print a foam material.
    the computer wiped out the typesetting industry overnight, literally. 3d printing has the ability to do that to any number of industries.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    the computer wiped out the typesetting industry overnight, literally. 3d printing has the ability to do that to any number of industries.
    no chit. calling 3d printing a disruptive technology is an understatement, imo - it's gonna blow up many well-established business models.

Still not as dangerous as their #1 Worst Enemy...

...Getting a real job

j/k

I don't know, I don't think shapers have too much to be worried about. There will always be guys who would rather have a Sunova than a FireWire. Same board fundamentally, right?

Except that the Sunova costs twice as much and has that something extra. Whatever it is.
    Surfing is more than the machine.