LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

I've decided I'm going to build a board

I need something to pass the time on weekdays after work and on weekends. Why not shape a board? It's educational, may improve my surfing, and won't cost too too much (will keep me from spending all my money on other crap). I'm just looking for some wisdom from people that have experience. What do first timers do every time that they shouldn't? What mistakes did you make your first time that you wish you could've undone?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cosby's nephew View Post
    I need something to pass the time on weekdays after work and on weekends. Why not shape a board? It's educational, may improve my surfing, and won't cost too too much (will keep me from spending all my money on other crap). I'm just looking for some wisdom from people that have experience. What do first timers do every time that they shouldn't? What mistakes did you make your first time that you wish you could've undone?
    where are you gonna shape it? a garage i assume?

Yes, I have lots of garage space. Also have an unfinished basement which could work too

I've only made two boards, but the second came out much better than the first. I tried to make the first board be able to do to many things. It turned out too floaty to duckdive, and didn't turn real well. It catches crappy waves real good though (it's a 7'6" mini longboard). The second one shreds, duckdives, catches waves from waist to head high real good, and is a 6'4" fish. I would say before you shape it, figure out the exact type of waves and surfing you would like the board to excel at, and don"t try to make a board that can do everything.

Images
    It will teach you to never do it again. . .

hilarious and true

i have a few friends who "shape boards" their boards are awful. if you enjoy it and have fun making a ****ty quiver why not but dont expect it to be any good

Quote Originally Posted by MDSurfer View Post

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by littlerhody View Post
    i have a few friends who "shape boards" their boards are awful. if you enjoy it and have fun making a ****ty quiver why not but dont expect it to be any good
    This kid sounds like a naysaying kook too.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSurfer View Post
    Ha ha! I will gladly pay someone to build me a custom board after shaping a couple. What a mess. The ones I shaped were for gutless everyday waves. For epic surf, go with a professionally shaped board. It's a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by sisurfdogg View Post
    Ha ha! I will gladly pay someone to build me a custom board after shaping a couple. What a mess. The ones I shaped were for gutless everyday waves. For epic surf, go with a professionally shaped board. It's a no brainer.
    But did you feel the experience of shaping boards, regardless of their quality, was positive?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cosby's nephew View Post
    But did you feel the experience of shaping boards, regardless of their quality, was positive?
    Bill Cosby, dude, just start shaping. You don't need validation or approval from any of us clowns on this site. Don't worry aboot people telling you to forget it. If you have the desire to do it, then go for it.

Just think if Al Merrick listened to people who told him it wouldn't be worth it. Kelly Slater may still have hair and be drinking beer under the Cocoa Beach Pier.

Who knows, you may have a real knack for the art and might become the next Rusty, if you're wholesome or Matt Biolos if you drink and do drugs.

You'll never know unless you try.