LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

I've decided I'm going to build a board

I need something to pass the time on weekdays after work and on weekends. Why not shape a board? It's educational, may improve my surfing, and won't cost too too much (will keep me from spending all my money on other crap). I'm just looking for some wisdom from people that have experience. What do first timers do every time that they shouldn't? What mistakes did you make your first time that you wish you could've undone?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cosby's nephew View Post
    I need something to pass the time on weekdays after work and on weekends. Why not shape a board? It's educational, may improve my surfing, and won't cost too too much (will keep me from spending all my money on other crap). I'm just looking for some wisdom from people that have experience. What do first timers do every time that they shouldn't? What mistakes did you make your first time that you wish you could've undone?
    where are you gonna shape it? a garage i assume?

Yes, I have lots of garage space. Also have an unfinished basement which could work too

I've only made two boards, but the second came out much better than the first. I tried to make the first board be able to do to many things. It turned out too floaty to duckdive, and didn't turn real well. It catches crappy waves real good though (it's a 7'6" mini longboard). The second one shreds, duckdives, catches waves from waist to head high real good, and is a 6'4" fish. I would say before you shape it, figure out the exact type of waves and surfing you would like the board to excel at, and don"t try to make a board that can do everything.

Images
    It will teach you to never do it again. . .

good lighting is a must. you can be cheap and get 4' fluorescent fixtures (2) and tubes at walmart for 25 bucks total. then make some blinders to aim the light at your board. dark walls (blue) are best.

then you have to make racks. don't make those lame cement in a bucket racks, they move too much. take the time to make good ones. make em heavy. pm me and i'll send you a pic of some good shaping racks. easy and cheap to setup.

then you need tools. what do you have? check out harbor freight's website or craigslist a planer. a cheap planer will work fine since you've never done. then tons of other little tools.

you'll be in for a couple hundred at least just to get set up. then you have pay outrageous east coast (if thats where you are) prices for blanks, cloth, resin.

your stoked if you have 2 rooms to use. go for it.... but know, it's only worth it if you really dig in and set yourself up right. i have lots of extra shaping tools i don't use so PM me if your interested.

REALLY helps to have someone around that has done it before. Re-inventing the wheel is painful and often unnecessary.

you could pull alone if your ok with it mostly being a bunch of suffering at first. but having someone experienced would help a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by AtanticO View Post
    good lighting is a must. you can be cheap and get 4' fluorescent fixtures (2) and tubes at walmart for 25 bucks total. then make some blinders to aim the light at your board. dark walls (blue) are best.

then you have to make racks. don't make those lame cement in a bucket racks, they move too much. take the time to make good ones. make em heavy. pm me and i'll send you a pic of some good shaping racks. easy and cheap to setup.

then you need tools. what do you have? check out harbor freight's website or craigslist a planer. a cheap planer will work fine since you've never done. then tons of other little tools.

you'll be in for a couple hundred at least just to get set up. then you have pay outrageous east coast (if thats where you are) prices for blanks, cloth, resin.

your stoked if you have 2 rooms to use. go for it.... but know, it's only worth it if you really dig in and set yourself up right. i have lots of extra shaping tools i don't use so PM me if your interested.
    My garage is from the 1970s, the previous owner was a craftsman and left basically everything he had in the garage when he died. It has workbenches, sawhorses (would probably make good racks), and basically every hand tool you could think of. There are sanding blocks and hand planers (for wood, I'm assuming. Can I use those on foam?) My dad also makes stained glass in the garage and he has it very well lit. I lucked out on workspace. The old man would also be pretty excited to help though he has never surfed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cosby's nephew View Post
    My garage is from the 1970s, the previous owner was a craftsman and left basically everything he had in the garage when he died. It has workbenches, sawhorses (would probably make good racks), and basically every hand tool you could think of. There are sanding blocks and hand planers (for wood, I'm assuming. Can I use those on foam?) My dad also makes stained glass in the garage and he has it very well lit. I lucked out on workspace. The old man would also be pretty excited to help though he has never surfed.

not the kind of lighting you need i bet. is it overhead... then no good. you have to have side lighting. saw horses? your kidding right? trust me...your wasting your time if you think that will work.

i'd clear that whole thing out if i were you. infact...post a pic of what it looks like right now.