LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cosby's nephew View Post
    I plan on using a close tolerance PU blank but I want to get one much larger than the size I pan on shaping. I want a 6"8. Would shaping down a 7"3 blank throw my rocker off? I want to be able to use some of the extra foam to practice shaping rails.
    The board will tend to pearl dive on steeper waves due to lack off entry rocker. If you are planning on only riding mush waves, it's no big deal. BTW, what is everyone on this thread smoking and can I get some? It is soooo flat right now.

Quote Originally Posted by sisurfdogg View Post
    The board will tend to pearl dive on steeper waves due to lack off entry rocker. If you are planning on only riding mush waves, it's no big deal. BTW, what is everyone on this thread smoking and can I get some? It is soooo flat right now.
    I pretty much want to build a groveler. Minimal rocker will be fine

A 6'8 groveler... is not something you see every day.

Anyway... racks look good. You're off and running, now. Go down to your local recycling center and see if you can find any blocks of EPS used for packing... or go to Home Cheapo and buy a sheet of EPS foam to cut into strips... glue the pieces together to make a the "rail" of a faux blank to practice on. You'll have to clamp it to something to work on. Once you've tried out your skills, go buy the right blank for your shape. The right blank means everything... from ease of shaping, to cost, to rocker, to durability. Don't buy an oversized blank.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Jul 25, 2013 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cosby's nephew View Post
    I pretty much want to build a groveler. Minimal rocker will be fine
    see if you can find a usblanks 6'0R if your looking to build a groveler. really good small wave rocker. it's a machine blank (for cnc cutting) with extra thickness in the rails, which will hopefully keep you from over-shaping it. the really close tolerance blanks for hand shaping have lower rails. better to practice rail bands the first time on something thicker.

Hey, you should try and shape a handplane first. I shaped a couple and it was a really good experience to understand how to do rail bands. Better to mess up an $8 wood blank then a $100 foam blank. Plus its good practice on how to do rails. I figured since you have the block planes in the shop it shouldnt be too much of a problem. After I shaped a couple and got comfortable with it only then did I try my hand at shaping an actual board.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanO View Post
    see if you can find a usblanks 6'0R if your looking to build a groveler. really good small wave rocker. it's a machine blank (for cnc cutting) with extra thickness in the rails, which will hopefully keep you from over-shaping it. the really close tolerance blanks for hand shaping have lower rails. better to practice rail bands the first time on something thicker.
    Get the right size blank. Skin it and fin it!

outline3.jpgoutline4.jpg
    What do you guys think of this template?

looks like an elongated baked potato with a pointy nose. it'll work, but a rounder nose might help you paddle a little easier

Quote Originally Posted by waterbaby View Post
    looks like an elongated baked potato with a pointy nose. it'll work, but a rounder nose might help you paddle a little easier
    I think it will paddle alright. I want the best of both worlds here. I was going for a baked potato/el fuego ripoff that provides some of the groveler and performance in both boards. Also, does anyone know where the ideal spot for the center of mass on a surfboard is? Or does that depend on the rider?

elpotato.jpg
    This better?